Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Cost for all heroes unlocked?

Hello! I just got a simple question =) Since dota 2 havent let any new players in since day after launch we are thinking a little about trying LoL. However, one thing is stopping us and that is that rumours say that it costs 500-700 dollars to get all the heroes, and that cant be true right? Since it's f2p, getting all heroes should be like the cost of a game... 30-50 dollars at best? In dota 2 you get all heroes for free and that is appealing. But no sane person can pay 500-700 dollars for a game =) It must be the second thing right, that with the cost of a game you get all heroes?

Deleted
    You can unlock them for free by playing a lot. Also, you don't need all champions. Try them out when they are in the free rotation.
    I play only ca. 8 champions in rated.
    Last edited by mmoc55d78876ab; 2013-07-15 at 07:47 AM.

If you were to start a new account at level 1 and flat out buy every champion, rune page, and rune set for every type of champion; it would cost you $1000+.

You don't HAVE to buy anything as you can technically grind out IP and purchase everything that way, but it does take quite a while when you're just starting out.

If you're adamant on not spending anything, you're stuck with a pool of 10 free heroes to start with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah easily 600$+ if your not waiting on sales and such.

Welcome to the world of greedy F2P.

But yeah, if you just keep playing heaps and heaps of games. Like 3000 games, then you could buy them all.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

15+ Year Old Account
    Apart from one evening when I got drunk and thought it'd be a grand idea to throw thirty bucks at the game for a slew of new champions and skins, I've bought all of mine with the in-game currency you attain by playing games. And about 40% of them I don't really play at all anyway.

There are ten free ones every week. There are heaps and heaps of champs which are relatively cheap to "purchase" (three wins or so for the really early ones, about ten for heaps of mid-range ones, and you save up for the newer-releases if you really wanna play it). And really, it's a hell of a lot of choice - as I mentioned, I skim through the champs list and find ones that look cool, and unlock them with IP, play them for a few days and invariably going back to the core fifteen or so I play the most.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

As the others have said, you don't NEED all champions when you first start playing, the 10 free ones(+Tristana/Alistar for subscribing to their Youtube channel/liking their Facebook page) are fine, and then you can start gradually unlocking more and more as you play.
    Also, you can get 1 or 2 bundles with ~20 champions each for ~15-20 euro(2.6k-3.9k Riot Points).
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Omg, sounds a bit heavy tbh. Even cost for game + subfee to ensure you get all new heroes is better than that =(

There's usually a new champ every month or so, and buying them as soon as they release is similar in price to most subscriptions(about 6 euro, although you have to buy more RP than that, because of the exploitative RP pack sizes). It's just the initial buy-in that's expensive as hell(similar problem WoW has nowadays) IF you want everything from the beginning and want to pay real money for it, instead of just unlocking as you play.
    I'd honestly recommend just trying the game with the F2P champions, and then deciding if you want to continue playing it and possibly spend money on it.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Omg, sounds a bit heavy tbh. Even cost for game + subfee to ensure you get all new heroes is better than that =(
    Every time you play, you gain Influence Points, which can be used to unlock champions. So while it may take a while, you can get all champions for free.

There is 114 champions. Even if you got them all at once, it would be rather pointless. Part of the allure of LoL is to find what champions you like by playing the free pool and then buying them bit by bit.

Deleted
    Don't forget that the free champion rotation changes every tuesday.

On one hand that can be frustrating, if you really like on of those champions but don't have the points to buy it yet, on the other hand it makes it possible to try every champion out if you just play long enough.

You can also get two champions for free by liking/subscribing to Riot's youtube and facebook pages. Those two (Tristana and Alistar) you won't have to buy at least.

If you don't want to spend any money at all you can still unlock the champions with ingame points. That obviously takes a while, but as long as you concentrate on cheap champions first you will get them at a reasonable speed.
    It also depends on how much you play, in general the more you play, the faster you'll have all champions.

Yea, sure, if you are one of those insane people that feel the need to buy every champion ASAP.

Simple fact is there are champions you will never want to play again after playing them once. That is whey every week offers a different free 10 champions to play. Besides that, as you play games and earn IP, you can buy champions that you like. Even the average pro players only have a repertoire of 10 or so champions they thoroughly know how to play.

Deleted
    No one forces you to buy anything. Riot is still a company foremost, you can't expect them to throw everything at your face for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's one major thing that differs with LoL vs DotA:

You do not need all champions. DotA is way more counter based. In LoL, champions soft-counter each other at best. Having a basis of ~15-20 champions is perfectly fine for playing the game without any issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    You might enjoy the drive to get IP and farm champions more than you think. LoL wouldn't be as appealing if you had all the champions at once
    This cannot be overstated.

The most enjoyable part of starting this game was gathering the IP to unlock new champions. Ever few days I'd wander into the Store with my stack of IP and browse through the overwhelmingly large amount of champs on offer, read up on their skills, watch the in-game clips of skills in action, and then either unlocking one I could afford or holding off for a while to unlock a more expensive one that looked cooler. And every time I unlocked one, I felt immense satisfaction and played the hell out of it, and by the time I started to get a little bored of that one I'd have enough to unlock one or two more.

Having everything available off the bat would have been staggeringly overwhelming. I remember just looking through the full list of champs and having no idea at all where to begin.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Having everything available off the bat would have been staggeringly overwhelming. I remember just looking through the full list of champs and having no idea at all where to begin.
    I got fed up with having almost no champions and still having to buy runes, so I bought the bundles ("It's only the prize of a normal game, right?").
    Then I had 34 champions that I never played before. 34 champions to try out in 34 games. Just imagine that with 114. And only trying every champion once will give you a mediocre idea of the playstyle at best.

Personally I think that having to unlock the champions by playing games is a very noob friendly idea. It gives you enough time to really learn the last champion you bought.

There is no reason for you to get every champion for one thing, and you would have to be pretty foolish to try and buy them all at once with RP.... You will not be good with every champion, and you won't like every champion. Test them during free week then buy them with IP if you like them.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    I agree wtih Nikkaszal I think it would've been overwhelming to have them all, regardless of that though - what's wrong with them giving time to learn champions? why is that a noob friendly idea? it makes perfect sense if you ask me
    Why do you think I mean something negative?

Because I said "noob"? I might be completely off here, but "noob friendly" is a positive thing. Like "fool proof", it doesn't mean that it's bad just because "fool" is usually not used in a positive way.

To my definition of "noob friendly": Something that new players can benefit from. Usually with no disadvantages for experienced players. (In this case, because experienced players will sometimes buy a new champion, too and have to learn it. And someone who already owns all the champions couldn't care less about the cost.)

So I added onto what Nikkaszal said with my own example.

The problem is the word "noob", right? I apologize, I think I've used (and seen) it in that expression since years without every thinking it could be understood negatively (in that context, calling someone "noob" would be negative).
    How about "friendly towards new players"?

Deleted
    If you want all heroes, it will cost you about 400euro. You want all rune pages and runes as well? another 100euro prob.

However I have not spend a penny, play about two, three games a day average, and I have more heroes then I actually play.

My point is, there is no need to have everything. If you play to level 30 to try the game out and learn its mechanics you will have enough for a few heroes you like already. Then you can save for new heroes you like through playing the other ones you already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't buy Runes for RP... Not sure why people keep bringing them up.