Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Prot paladin challenge mode, need some advice on gearing/general run tips

Greetings fellow paladins!

As the title says, in the near future I'll most likely be running som challenge modes for gold and I'm currently gearing a paladin for it...

Now what kind of stats would be most beneficial for a prot pala? Exp hardcap/hit cap > haste > mastery? Since exp/hit doesn't scale down would it be wise to buy the shado-pan trinket since it has ~1500 exp on it and also upgrade it for more? So far I've gotten some items such as http://www.wowhead.com/item=86852 ; which has a socket and hit/haste
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=86863 ; also socket and mastery/hit
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=95685 ; socket and hit/crit
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=95732 ; socket and a crit roll

I've also gotten the ret tier chest from tot with haste/exp and 3 sockets... but the rest of the items I have no clue about!

Also when it comes to gemming I need some advice, currently going all out haste, what socket bonuses should I gem for, maybe none at all? And then there's enchants, tank enchants like river's song/chest with stam or do you go all out on damage?

Any input is appreciated!

I've completed all gold CM runs without changing my gear at all. I'm haste gemmed and also had the standard raid reforges. Paladin tank is pretty good for cm runs since we have a decent amount of self heal and group heal (at least currently). If you're having problems surviving, try getting more stamina. You're loosing a lot of HP due to scaling, the fastest thing that can kill you are some big fast hits before your heal can even react. I'd go for stam > haste > mastery in terms of priority and socket bonus.

For enchants: usually I have dancing steel on my main hand, but again colossus could come in handy to prevent some dmg.

Good luck!

Deleted
    Ghost iron .... trinket with 3 spckets
    Weapon from sha in with the sha socked
    legendary metagem!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonija View Post
    Ghost iron .... trinket with 3 spckets
    Weapon from sha in with the sha socked
    legendary metagem!
    I was under the impression that the 500 Gem and the Legendary Metagem would be ignored / scaled down?
    At least I'm 100% sure the legendary Meta doesn't do anything in CM (no idea if you get a sub stat for it).
    And as for the 500 Gem, back when we did it and Mogushan was current Tier, our Mage said that his gem didn't count.
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

Deleted
    Ghost iron? Not so sure about that one compared to something say, trinket from darkmaster in scholo..
    And I'm 99% sure the legendary stuff doesn't work

Legendary meta and weapon socket gem doesn't do anything in CM's, just like set bonuses.

High socket count and items with higher Hit/Exp (as they're not scaled down).

Stam is useful, I ran SP rep Stam trinket and LSFO back when I did it in December.

Used HA mostly (since DP scaling sucks at low haste), and swapped between Light's Hammer and HPr a ton. We have shit for CC (outside of blind), so prepare your anus on some hallway pulls in the scarlet instances if you don't have aoe stuns/ring of peas/whatever.

And yes, legendary shit doesn't work, so don't bother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The legendary metagem definitely doesn't work, nor do set bonuses. The legendary bonus socket does work though.

I'm talking about Eye of the Black Prince.
    Last edited by Khiyone; 2013-07-15 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    The legendary metagem definitely doesn't work, nor do set bonuses. The legendary bonus socket does work though.
    Ah, touche'. Forgot that the Eye of the Black Prince does indeed work.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    High socket count and items with higher Hit/Exp (as they're not scaled down).

Stam is useful, I ran SP rep Stam trinket and LSFO back when I did it in December.

Used HA mostly (since DP scaling sucks at low haste), and swapped between Light's Hammer and HPr a ton. We have shit for CC (outside of blind), so prepare your anus on some hallway pulls in the scarlet instances if you don't have aoe stuns/ring of peas/whatever.

And yes, legendary shit doesn't work, so don't bother.
    So is the hardcap on exp still worth to go for, and once you've got the hit/exp cap down it's haste > mastery from there? Still iffy on enchants, if one should use dps enchants since everything scales with ap or go the more defensive route

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need hardcap. Bosses don't matter in challenge mode. They are not really hard / they are not time sensitive pulls. Exp Softcap is ok.

I went with 7.5% Hit/Exp, everything else went into Haste.

Full Haste Gems in every socket. 2x Stamina Trinkets. Rest was normal raidgear.

Skills/Talents just like raiding. Holy Avenger / Holy Prism (Hammer if you need the slow). Glyphs Battle Healer, Alabaster Shield and either glyphed DP or Focused Wrath, depening on the instance.

To be honest, you don't really need to do anything special for CM as Prot Pala.

Just make sure you have the best item available in every slot. That doesnt necessarily mean high itemlevel. You need to make sure your items have perfect stats and as many sockets as possible. Hands/Belt with 2+ sockets or sth like that are golden! Try to get as many sockets per slot as possible. Every Item should have Haste on it aswell if possible.

I also went with Stamina Flask + Stamina Food.

There is hardly anything that can kill you. You will only have problems in both Scarlet instances. Those mobs either melee for like 200k each or stun you for 3 secs or holy fire you for 500k+. Just need good stuns / ccs from your teammates.

---

Only real problem with Prot Paladin in CM is - you don't have aoe slow and you dont have aoe stuns/silences. Not like lets say DK/Warrior.

But if you have that covered in your group, then there is no problem.

Don't even try to do stormstour brewery gold without sustained aoe slow (hammer is not enough, too short duration/range - i've tried it :-)) or scarlet monastery without aoe stuns. They will rape you.
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    Yes, the SOCKET does, the LEGENDARY SHA GEM does not. There is a difference, and it should be noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlin View Post
    So is the hardcap on exp still worth to go for, and once you've got the hit/exp cap down it's haste > mastery from there? Still iffy on enchants, if one should use dps enchants since everything scales with ap or go the more defensive route
    I'd go for 7.5%+ expertise. I think I did it ~10.5 ish.

I'd stick with DS enchant and your normal haste stuff.

And yes, SSB sucks balls as a ProtPal.
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account

Talking

Hit cap, expertise cap, sacred shield, lights hammer. Fairly baseline.
    Can see my CM pallies gear in sig, you don't need anything fancy.
    Stam flask/food running 7100 haste and 500k hp in CMs. That's enough to pull 4 packs + the second boss in Scarlet halls without kiting. Just face tanking. Arguably the hardest pull in all cms. (Don't try unless you want top times)
    I don't know what people are complaining about SSB for, pull the first 7 elites into boss room, AoE pull horn to aggro entire room, shield wall, HA, lights hammer, conc and keep up sotr, health doesn't even dip. Hell, I was standing in suds 24/7 to get vengeance on the last pulls. Topping heals on almost every pull while the dpriest smites.
    If you want specific help add my battletag raxxed#1332 (US) and I can help you when I get home from work.
    Last edited by Raxxed; 2013-07-15 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxxed View Post
    Hit cap, expertise cap, sacred shield, lights hammer. Fairly baseline.
    Can see my CM pallies gear in sig, you don't need anything fancy.
    Stam flask/food running 7100 haste and 500k hp in CMs. That's enough to pull 4 packs + the second boss in Scarlet halls without kiting. Just face tanking. Arguably the hardest pull in all cms. (Don't try unless you want top times)
    I don't know what people are complaining about SSB for, pull the first 7 elites into boss room, AoE pull horn to aggro entire room, shield wall, HA, lights hammer, conc and keep up sotr, health doesn't even dip. Hell, I was standing in suds 24/7 to get vengeance on the last pulls. Topping heals on almost every pull while the dpriest smites.
    If you want specific help add my battletag raxxed#1332 (US) and I can help you when I get home from work.
    That's awesome! It's mostly just help with the gearing and enchants, which I now have from your armory! I'd like to be top notch geared since the group I'm going to run it with aren't exactly "amazing" players so I'd like to help out as much as possible, the healer will be a disc priest aswell... I see you're using some pvp items aswell that look fairly well itemized...

The only question I have remaining is, if you upgrade a item that has hit/exp, it'll benefit from the increase and not scale down, correct? And does it stay the same if you've reforged it off a stat on an upgraded item? I'm going to assume yes buuut just in case..
    Last edited by mmoc58a1da2741; 2013-07-15 at 10:57 PM.

Deleted
    Imo if you are going for optimal CM setup you should not go beyond trash mobs hit/exp cap, really not needed to cap for bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamlin View Post
    That's awesome! It's mostly just help with the gearing and enchants, which I now have from your armory! I'd like to be top notch geared since the group I'm going to run it with aren't exactly "amazing" players so I'd like to help out as much as possible, the healer will be a disc priest aswell... I see you're using some pvp items aswell that look fairly well itemized...

The only question I have remaining is, if you upgrade a item that has hit/exp, it'll benefit from the increase and not scale down, correct? And does it stay the same if you've reforged it off a stat on an upgraded item? I'm going to assume yes buuut just in case..
    Yeah got some decent pvp items. Would prefer ToT gear with sockets but meh I'm not doing LFR for gear that's really just a luxury - could get like another 2500 haste but maybe ill try get the gear if I decide to go for world #1 prot pal. World 4th prot pala atm is good enough for me, heh. Not bad for 2 nights work.
    Not sure about the expertise/hit forging but yes upgrading does keep the upgraded hit or expt in the CM like on my trinket.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Imo if you are going for optimal CM setup you should not go beyond trash mobs hit/exp cap, really not needed to cap for bosses.
    I like being fully capped on bosses because generally I'm tanking a truckload of shit with a boss for vengeance, and just sitting there beating the shit out of him. Like first boss SM getting over 400k vengeance and just busting a nut in the boss while conc/lh kills adds. But obviously if you just want golds, and not doing absurd pulls, you could probably go without hard expertise cap.
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Deleted
    I like being fully capped on bosses because generally I'm tanking a truckload of shit with a boss for vengeance, and just sitting there beating the shit out of him. Like first boss SM getting over 400k vengeance and just busting a nut in the boss while conc/lh kills adds. But obviously if you just want golds, and not doing absurd pulls, you could probably go without hard expertise cap.
    Considering you get less dps by hard capping expertise compared to getting more haste, I see no reason why you should ever go for it over haste in CMs, especially considered it is not even used against most mobs.

Especially if you are running for realm best times you should really not cap for bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Considering you get less dps by hard capping expertise compared to getting more haste, I see no reason why you should ever go for it over haste in CMs, especially considered it is not even used against most mobs.

Especially if you are running for realm best times you should really not cap for bosses.
    Not wanting to cap so you can miss those 1mil crits on bosses with big pulls?
    Raxxykins

Deleted
    Not wanting to cap so you can miss those 1mil crits on bosses with big pulls?
    Purely mathematically speaking it is still a big dps loss over the entire CM. Also, getting those realm best times is sometimes about the stars aligning, just check all the speed runs in any game, the fastest times are always when everything went well.

Pokemon speed runs reset the game if they dont get a 10% roll correct after 5 hours of game play, you not getting that best time because you rolled bad on a 94% roll is not the end of the world, especially if you actually roll correct on the roll you will get an even faster time.

This is something you admit yourself when you say "1 mil crits". Not like you are stacking crit to get higher crit chances so you dont get those 500k hits instead of those 1m crits.

But if you are really that desperate about hard capping, just go for 6% hit and 9 expertise for optimal dps (alternatively 4.5% hit and 10.5 expertise) This will put you at hit cap and exp soft cap for mobs and spell hit cap for bosses so you cant miss those 1 mil avengers.

6/9 benefits you more on bosses but 4.5/10.5 more on the entire run.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-07-16 at 10:17 AM.