Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

should a player who's horrible at buff management still take invocation?

Personally, I'm horrible at buff and debuff management. Hell, the only way I can keep decent uptime on Inquisition on my Ret Paladin is by relying heavily on CLCinfo.

In this case, couldn't it be better to just take Incanter's Ward and never use it? I saw a thread on here a few months ago, which said exactly that, bu​t I don't know if that's still the case.

edit:http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Ward-is-Good! is the thread I mentioned above.
    Last edited by mmocb0245d6bcb; 2013-07-15 at 01:31 PM.

an addon i use to monitor my buffs, procs and dots is clcinfo, once you know how to use it you can do anything you want with it, then you can place these buffs anywhere you want so you can easily manage them.

Or you can use other addons that are a little easier to setup but its good to have some sort of addon to monitor everything to improve gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Temperance Brennan View Post
    Personally, I'm horrible at buff and debuff management. Hell, the only way I can keep decent uptime on Inquisition on my Ret Paladin is by relying heavily on CLCinfo.

In this case, couldn't it be better to just take Incanter's Ward and never use it? I saw a thread on here a few months ago, which said exactly that, bu​t I don't know if that's still the case.

edit:http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Ward-is-Good! is the thread I mentioned above.
    That was before the nerf to IW. If you're bad at buff management, either play RoP Arcane or not a mage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    an addon i use to monitor my buffs, procs and dots is clcinfo, once you know how to use it you can do anything you want with it, then you can place these buffs anywhere you want so you can easily manage them.

Or you can use other addons that are a little easier to setup but its good to have some sort of addon to monitor everything to improve gameplay.
    I use that already, but unless it can just tell me what spell to use, like Requital's Ret package does, It's no use for me.

Deleted
    Interface customization is indeed the solution to your problem

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    That was before the nerf to IW. If you're bad at buff management, either play RoP Arcane or not a mage.
    reread it please, I'm talking about taking Incanters' Ward talent and NEVER USING IT, JUST RELY ON THE PASSIVE.

that thread I linked showed that if you don't use invocation or RoP for nearly the entire time, it's worse than just using the passive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattRas View Post
    Interface customization is indeed the solution to your problem
    Look, i'm a horrible player, and no amount of interface customization is going to help that. changing my playstyle so I can focus on 1 thing at a time (and maybe build up from there) can, however.

Deleted
    reread it please, I'm talking about taking Incanters' Ward talent and NEVER USING IT, JUST RELY ON THE PASSIVE.

that thread I linked showed that if you don't use invocation or RoP for nearly the entire time, it's worse than just using the passive.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, i'm a horrible player, and no amount of interface customization is going to help that. changing my playstyle so I can focus on 1 thing at a time (and maybe build up from there) can, however.
    Having a huge flashing icon whenever Invocation is down is going to help that.

Just practice and and get better at watching things, since the entire game and every class revolves around debuff or buff management.

If you really can't get better then obviously, take IW. But you won't be doing proper dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I made a custom timer with Weak Auras for Invoker's Energy. It's a big blue number that counts down from 60. If I see it counting down, I'm good. If there's no number there, it's time to Evocate.

It really doesn't matter what you take, if you suck at buff management. You're a shitty player and most likely not going to be doing any worthwhile raiding so there's no need to worry about maximizing your DPS.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2013-07-15 at 07:50 PM.

Deleted
    Just make a big ass weak aura that spams the shit out of your screen when Invo has less than 5 seconds remaining. If you still fail after that then I don't think this game is for you in all honesty.

This used to be a problem for me also. Now I use the addon on Weak Auras to flash in my face when ever the buff falls off. This is addon is also really useful for tracking other buffs/procs/debuffs/dots and whatever you want really

Quote Originally Posted by Nagu View Post
    It really doesn't matter what you take, if you suck at buff management. You're a shitty player and most likely not going to be doing any worthwhile raiding so there's no need to worry about maximizing your DPS.
    How constructive... and here is a great shining example of why people are complaining that it's hard to find raiders and about state of the "wow community".

To the OP, as others have mentioned... plenty of ways to track that buff. It is annoying and the reason mage 90 talents get so much flak. Many classes have a a buff that needs refreshed, but none feel as awkward as Invocation (my opinion).

Deleted
    If you're bad at buff management and actually want to get better, the best solution is dummies, honestly.

Take it slow and do one thing at a time, don't try and maintain everything at once and get confused and frustrated and de-motivated.

If you're actually willing to spend a little (honestly 2-3 hours in total time spend) time in order to improve, dummies are your best friend. Once you've done your rotation over and over and over you begin to get a "feeling" for these kinds of things anyway and muscle memory is a great tool.

Another thing is, honestly, take time to re-do your UI. Having a UI that's personalised around your playstyle is great as it means you're looking where you want to look to find out the important details, and you even get to decide what those important details are.

To answer your actual question, no, a player who is bad at buff management shouldn't take Invocation; but then again there's always things to improve - why be content with being bad at something

I remember that thread, the maths on it was fundamentally wrong, if you truely are bad at managing the invocation buff then it might be an option, but just do what myself and many others and have an addon to show hen the buff isnt up. Personally I use weak auras, when the buff is about to fall off I get a big icon near the middle of my screen to countdown its duration and it wont go away until I refresh it.

Deleted
    Use WeakAura and make huge aura icon for all the buffs&Procs that is part of your dps rotation NEAR/AROUND your character. Put your and your target's hp bar there as well in the middle of the screen, preferally slightly below it. That way during fights you only have to focus on the middle of the screen, where everything happens, including watching out for aoe on the ground near your character etc. Moreover, you can hide all the none CD spells such as fire ball, frost bolt etc. and minimize the icons for defensive CDs such as blink, ice barrier etc to make your UI cleaner.

When I was first getting used to Invocation I made a HUGE (I mean massive, right in the middle of my screen) icon appear using Weak Auras whenever I was lacking the buff. It was impossible to play with that icon up due to how large it was. So when the icon is up, you hit Invocation. When it's not there, you know you're good to go!

This is honestly the best solution. IW just isn't good, and buff management is part of playing Mage.

Deleted
    I use that already, but unless it can just tell me what spell to use, like Requital's Ret package does, It's no use for me.
    I personally use a weakaura to make sure I'm not missing it, I don't use anything fancy, just a timer over the actual spell that counts down to zero and makes the button glow (which I believe is what you are eluding to above) when it drops off, I'll link it to you in this thread when I get home later.

As the guys said above though, really you just need to practice it on dummies, it can take time but you will get there

Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    How constructive... and here is a great shining example of why people are complaining that it's hard to find raiders and about state of the "wow community".

To the OP, as others have mentioned... plenty of ways to track that buff. It is annoying and the reason mage 90 talents get so much flak. Many classes have a a buff that needs refreshed, but none feel as awkward as Invocation (my opinion).
    Honestly as a RL I really wouldnt want a raider who can't keep track of a 1 min cd. It isnt the community's problem that people look for a add-on instead of learning their class and how to play.

It's not hard, just use any addon like PowerAura, MageNuggets, MSBT, TellMeWhen, or whatever. It's a 2s cast every 1m. While greatly annoying, it's not hard by any means.

If you can't handle Invo, stick to doing PvP on your Mage or swap classes unless you want to be sub-optimal (if that's allowable by your RL, then who the fuck cares I guess just go IW if that's the case)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.