Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gaming build for ~$1200 for long term usage, without peripherals and video card

Hey guys!

My current computer is 6+ years old, so I'm planning to get a new one. And I was wondering if you could give me some healthy criticism on my build.

General info

I'm not a fan of upgrading computer every now and then, so I was thinking about buying a computer that will keep up with the gaming for a 3+ years, but wont cost a fortune.

Budget: Up to $1300
    Resolution: 1080p
    Games / Settings Desired: Mostly WoW on high-ultra settings with browser in background. Currently having an opened browser drop my loading speed drastically. I'd also like to try out some recent games, like Assassin's Creed 3 on close to highest settings. I dont mind lowering graphics a bit, if it gives me smooth game without fps drops.
    Other intensive software: No, I'm not planning to work with any audio/video editing stuff on this computer
    Parts that can be reused: Recently I bought Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 so I'm thinking about upgrading video card later, when I see how it works with this new build. And I see no reason to replace my old cd/dvd drives, so I can reuse them
    Do you need an OS?: Nope
    Do you need peripherals: No

Build

Here's what I have in mind so far:
    MoBo: ASUS Z87-PRO – $199.99
    CPU: Intel i5 4670k – $239.99
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB – $71.99
    SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB – $239.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – $89.99
    PSU: Corsair 750HX - $125
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14 – $78.99
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 - $160

Total: $1205

I'm willing to change anything in the build, but from this list I have most doubts about SSD, PSU, heatsink and case:
    • SSD - never used those before, but I'm really tired of slow loading, so I was planning to move most of the readonly files there to use SSD to full potential. Is it actually worth getting Samsung 840 PRO 256GB or I'll be fine with something like Samsung 840 120GB?
    • PSU - I know it might be a bit too much power output for this build, but I prefer have some breathing room.
    • Heatsink - I'm not going to overclock too much, so I'm aiming for sufficient cooling under normal circumstances, while having as quite computer as I can. I wouldn't mind buying more expensive cooler if it will drop the noise.
    • Case - Basically same as heatsink - if it will allow me to cool stuff down and will provide as less noise as possible I'm fine with it. But I've never had any flashy cases before, so I'm treating a kid inside me with HAF 932 :3

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Final conclusion

After discussion I've decided to go this build:
    MoBo: ASUS Z87-PRO – $199.99
    CPU: Intel i5 4670k – $239.99
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB – $74.99
    SSD: Samsung 840 256GB – $164.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – $98.99
    PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - $89.99
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14 – $78.99
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper (SGC-5000-KWN1) Black - $159.99

Total: $1107.92
    Last edited by ADXenomorph; 2013-07-19 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added final build

Deleted
    Here's the list I'd propose, which includes a newer GPU:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($81.55 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.61 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($255.91 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1136.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-16 05:46 EDT-0400)

If you can get that in Russia for around the $1200 equivalent, then I'd go for it.

Thanks for reply!

The total price is fine as long as it stay in $1200-1300 range in Newegg or similar shops.

Could you explain the changes you've made other than lower price?
    Why z87-g45 instead of z87-pro?
    Why RAM change?
    Wouldn't having a mid tower make the computer more noisy? More heating - more noise from fans. Its even hard to install video card inside a mid tower.

I guess I forgot to mention, I can reuse my optical drives as well

$1200 price doesn't have to include another video card

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ADXenomorph View Post
    Thanks for reply!

The total price is fine as long as it stay in $1200-1300 range in Newegg or similar shops.

Could you explain the changes you've made other than lower price?
    Why z87-g45 instead of z87-pro?
    Why RAM change?
    Wouldn't having a mid tower make the computer more noisy? More heating - more noise from fans. Its even hard to install video card inside a mid tower.

I guess I forgot to mention, I can reuse my optical drives as well

$1200 price doesn't have to include another video card
    Well, initially, I was going to put in a GTX770 for added "futureproofing", but the GTX760 should handle most newer games when combined with the 4670k. The reason I've gone for a mid tower is because you can buy noise-dampening kits, such as the one from be Quiet! at around $50 for a midi kit (which is still a saving from the HAF case you initially had). The G45 is perfectly adequate for your needs unless you're going to be using full-wireless, in which case you'll probably need the PRO motherboard.

I...didn't actually mean to change the RAM, I had that in from the previous build I made for someone else.

I've checked prices for Z87-G45 over here. They are actually higher than Z87-PRO.
    I suppose this is because of G45 being quite new MoBo on the market.

I couldn't find any comparisons between G45 and other Z87's. Do you know any actual perfomance advantages of G45?

I also noticed you've changed SSD from Samsung 840 PRO to Samsung 840. I've read 1269386-Samsung-840-vs-840-Pro thread on these forums (sorry, cannot post links yet) and I'm wondering if there is only a write speed difference between pro and not-pro versions?

Switching Corsair 750HX to Rosewill Hive-550 - isn't 550w just enough for current parts? What if I'll need to install some other parts, like discrete sound card or something like that?

And lastly about the case: those noise-dampening kits - wont they accumulate even more heating if you attach them inside the case? Not to mention additional hassle to buy and attach them. I'd rather get $100 case then. Could you, please, suggest any alternatives around that price?

Thanks!

And lastly about the case: those noise-dampening kits - wont they accumulate even more heating if you attach them inside the case? Not to mention additional hassle to buy and attach them. I'd rather get $100 case then. Could you, please, suggest any alternatives around that price?
    What is the noise target? Inaudible, whisper quiet, slightly audible, fairly audible, or noise doesn't matter?

Foam is really only useful for going from whisper quiet to inaudible.

When selecting a case at "slightly audible" or lower, case fan quality and the presence of a fan controller is important. In my experience, the stock fans on the HAF 922 are pretty quiet when throttled but still move quite a bit of air. The drawback is that Cooler Master cases don't usually come with dust filters. Dust filters heavily impede airflow though.

At $75-100 (in no particular order):

Cooler Master HAF 922
    Cooler Master HAF XB
    Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    Fractal Design Define R4
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Corsair 300R
    Corsair 400R
    Corsair 500R

Fractal Design's Silent R2 fans that come with the Arc Midi R2 and Define R4 are a tad more noisy than Cooler Master's. No idea how NZXT and Corsair stock fans compare.

ASUS motherboards come with Fan Xpert2 which can control 3-pin fans. Most stock case fans and many retail fans are 3-pin because its cheaper. Fan Xpert2 is nice because it manages fan speed based on CPU temperature.

What is the noise target? Inaudible, whisper quiet, slightly audible, fairly audible, or noise doesn't matter?
    The noise isn't a huge issue, but it will still affect my case choice. Like if I can add 30-40$ more to make it a lot more silent, then I'd go for it.
    I'd say noise target is slightly audible.

The drawback is that Cooler Master cases don't usually come with dust filters. Dust filters heavily impede airflow though.
    Bah. Totally forgot about that issue. I'm gonna have to redo the case search.

Cooler Master HAF 922
    Cooler Master HAF XB
    Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    Fractal Design Define R4
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Corsair 300R
    Corsair 400R
    Corsair 500R
    Thanks for the list, I'll check them out and will post which one and why did I choose.

Deleted
    I also noticed you've changed SSD from Samsung 840 PRO to Samsung 840. I've read 1269386-Samsung-840-vs-840-Pro thread on these forums (sorry, cannot post links yet) and I'm wondering if there is only a write speed difference between pro and not-pro versions?

Switching Corsair 750HX to Rosewill Hive-550 - isn't 550w just enough for current parts? What if I'll need to install some other parts, like discrete sound card or something like that?
    1) I changed the SSD as it's much better value that you can put elsewhere, given the information you've already provided;
    2) a 550W PSU is barely enough - by the box specs. However, in practice these seem to be considerably overestimated.

I changed the SSD as it's much better value that you can put elsewhere, given the information you've already provided;
    Thanks, I guess Samsung 840 should be enough for me then
    a 550W PSU is barely enough - by the box specs. However, in practice these seem to be considerably overestimated.
    I'd prefer to be on the safe side. Could you advise any good PSUs around 650W then?

I've checked prices for Z87-G45 over here. They are actually higher than Z87-PRO.
    I suppose this is because of G45 being quite new MoBo on the market.

I couldn't find any comparisons between G45 and other Z87's. Do you know any actual perfomance advantages of G45?
    My question about motherboard still stands. Z87-G45 is actually quite a good MoBo, but is there any similar alternatives which aren't that new? Its gonna be hard to get G45 for me.

I've also checked a lot of reviews of different cases. I guess dust will be a lot bigger issue if I get a cooler master case. I could get Cooler Master X, but its quite expensive. I think getting silent, cooling and dust-proof for around $100 is impossible, so what would be the best option if I dont care about the noise? Which cases are both dust-proof and have good cooling? I'm thinking about Corsair 500R, but I'm still not sure. Maybe Cooler Master X will be really worth it? Or I could get CM HAF 932 with some additional dust filters.
    Last edited by ADXenomorph; 2013-07-16 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prefer to be on the safe side. Could you advise any good PSUs around 650W then?
    At 100% load, which you really cannot reach outside of stess testing both the CPU and GPU at the same time, that system won't even break 400w. 550 is more than plenty. under normal use (gaming), it'll probably sit at around 275.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Which cases are both dust-proof and have good cooling? I'm thinking about Corsair 500R, but I'm still not sure. Maybe Cooler Master X will be really worth it? Or I could get CM HAF 932 with some additional dust filters.
    Airflow capability of a case's fans is proportional to the fan dimension as follows:

Airflow ∑ fan_dimension2

For example:
    HAF 932 Airflow = 3x 2302 + 1402 = 178,300
    500R Airflow = 3x 1202 = 43,200

Cooler Master HAF cases have the highest airflow capability for a given price tier but buying additional dust filters is an added cost.

When purchasing dust filters, keep in mind that foam filters have higher restriction than mesh filters. On the other hand, foam filters have better dust trapping capability.

At 100% load, which you really cannot reach outside of stess testing both the CPU and GPU at the same time, that system won't even break 400w. 550 is more than plenty. under normal use (gaming), it'll probably sit at around 275.
    Alright. Thanks! Is there any more durable and preferably silent other than Rosewill Hive 550W? I cannot seem to find it in my local shops.
    What do you think about these ones:
    • Zalman ZM600-GT600W
    • FSP Group Epsilon 85Plus 600W
    • Corsair CX600M 600W

Cooler Master HAF cases have the highest airflow capability for a given price tier but buying additional dust filters is an added cost.

When purchasing dust filters, keep in mind that foam filters have higher restriction than mesh filters. On the other hand, foam filters have better dust trapping capability.
    Thanks for the advices! Yeah I've read about crazy airflow in Cooler Master cases. Would be nice to have such a case, but with better dust protection

What do you guys think about Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case?

I've also searched for alternatives for Z87-G45 - I can get MSI Z87-GD65 for almost same price as z87 pro. Which would you prefer?
    Last edited by ADXenomorph; 2013-07-17 at 08:36 AM.

Deleted
    Alright. Thanks! Is there any more durable and preferably silent other than Rosewill Hive 550W? I cannot seem to find it in my local shops.
    What do you think about these ones:
    • Zalman ZM600-GT600W
    • FSP Group Epsilon 85Plus 600W
    • Corsair CX600M 600W
    Out of those three, probably the FSP 600W. And as for your other question regarding motherboards, it's a choice that's mainly down to whether you require using wireless or not. If not, then probably the GD65, but it's pretty close, IIRC.

Was about to edit my PSU list with the one I found in Marest's Sample Builds thread - Corsair TX650M. I dont really want to go above 550W, but from those recomended on these forums TX650M was the cheapest above 500W.

Out of those three, probably the FSP 600W.
    Why? Sorry if I'm being too picky, but I'd prefer to know what are the reasons behind each part. Also PSU's are not limited to those 3, I've listed a few in case I'll get one of best ones. If they are all quite crappy, just say so . Basically like 2-3 good alternatives to Rosewill Hive 550W should be enough to find the one I need.

And as for your other question regarding motherboards, it's a choice that's mainly down to whether you require using wireless or not. If not, then probably the GD65, but it's pretty close, IIRC.
    Thanks! I think I'll go for GD65 then. I wont need wifi on stationary computer anyway.

Deleted
    Why? Sorry if I'm being too picky, but I'd prefer to know what are the reasons behind each part. Also PSU's are not limited to those 3, I've listed a few in case I'll get one of best ones. If they are all quite crappy, just say so . Basically like 2-3 good alternatives to Rosewill Hive 550W should be enough to find the one I need.
    It's not that they're all crappy - IMO, it's between the Zalman and the FSP, and the FSP seems to be more reliable, but that may be my biases talking.

I've also searched for alternatives for Z87-G45 - I can get MSI Z87-GD65 for almost same price as z87 pro. Which would you prefer?
    I chose the ASUS Z87-PRO.

Fan Xpert2 for 3-pin fan control is excellent and allows my system to stay quiet while idle. Saves me the extra $20 for an additional fan controller. ASUS overclocking aids, AI Suite and UEFI auto settings, are reputed to be top notch.

All ASUS Haswell motherboards have Fan Xpert2 and all ASUS Z87 motherboards come with overclocking aids, not necessary to get the high end Z87-PRO.

I chose the ASUS Z87-PRO.
    Gah, you're killing me with doubts . I searched for some more reviews and stumbled upon "Five Z87 Motherboards Under $220, Reviewed" article at tomshardware. They chose Z87-PRO as their best. But when I read some forums or see polls, people go for Z87-GD65. Thats probably due to looks only.
    So to sum it up: PRO has onboard wifi, fan control, overclocking stuff, maybe even a bit better peformance, while GD65 has only cool looks. Am I correct?

It's not that they're all crappy - IMO, it's between the Zalman and the FSP, and the FSP seems to be more reliable, but that may be my biases talking.
    Btw what should I keep an eye on, when I choose PSU, to get most reliable one? 80 Plus certificate only? Is there any site, where I can read about construction quality maybe or something like that. I feel like searching by power and 80 Plus certificate is not enough.
    Last edited by ADXenomorph; 2013-07-18 at 07:21 AM.

Deleted
    Yep, pretty much on thew mobo thing. AS for PSUs, you need to look for reliability, power-consistency (the ability to stably supply power with little distortion), and the 80 Plus certificate is good, but not always. Also, check the OEM supplier - Seasonic and FSP are amongst the best right now, but that can change.

Yep, pretty much on thew mobo thing. AS for PSUs, you need to look for reliability, power-consistency (the ability to stably supply power with little distortion), and the 80 Plus certificate is good, but not always. Also, check the OEM supplier - Seasonic and FSP are amongst the best right now, but that can change.
    Alright, I guess I'll go for FSP Group Epsilon 85Plus 600W then. Thanks!
    Altough it would be nice to hear some more opinions about PSUs.

About the cases:
    Looks like Cooler Master dust issues are a real problem. Considering I have a fluffy cat, I guess my case should be quite dust-proof.

Is there any particular reason not to go for Full Tower? Anything except Full Towers being a bit more expensive.

Fractal Design Define R4 looks really good and effective in terms of noise and quality, but it reminds me of some coffin
    Does it have alternatives with similar qualities, but with other appearance and maybe Full Tower?
    Last edited by ADXenomorph; 2013-07-18 at 07:23 AM.

A lot of people here already posted detailed technical replies, so i will offer a more simplistic one.

Stick to Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs - while some rare people seem to have no issues using AMD/ATi, i personally know at least 10 avid gamers that have suffered extreme software/driver issues and hardware failures until they switched to a Intel/Nvidia setup.

Also my personal experience with AMD/ATi is horrible, even more with their hardware's quality than their software's performance - with the same model of GPU dying 3 times within a 2 years warranty (no overclocking or modding) - at least i got it replaced in about a month waiting each time, but still i never even considered buying AMD/ATi after that.