Komil Protection Warrior. Help please :)

Hello.

I rerolled Prot Warr about 6-7 weeks ago and I'm not 100% sure about what I'm doing yet tbh.

A week ago my guild made a second raid team, and I'm now in charge of it. Maintanking + RaidLeading.

I was just wondering if some of you could bring some tips for me?

I'll link logs to a couple of the bosses we have killed during our raids and a link to my gear aswell.

Tortos: worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-xkgg26hwhjezxm0h/details/2/?s=4738&e=5010
    Megaera: worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-xkgg26hwhjezxm0h/details/2/?s=7328&e=7731

My gear: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/tarren-mill/Komil/‎

I've used askmrrobot to find my BiS and how to gem/reforge/enchant etc...

I want to learn and be a better tank for my raid and guild and I'm looking forward to see what you guys think.

Komil

PS: Sorry for bad links, new member so had to work around the "You can't post links yet".

Hey, I'll leave the logs to someone who is better at picking apart that stuff. Just by looking at your armory, there are some things I would change.

Are you tanking mainly normal modes or aiming for clearing lots of heroics fast too?

First of all, you can probably loose some stamina. I'm running ilvl 539 with the same amount of health as you and have no problem whatsoever thanking stuff like horridon hc, tortos hc (boss) and Iron Qon hc solo even before i got the recent boost of legendary cloak and such. If you are tanking stuff that typically hits a little less than that, you can afford to get more mastery instead. At least loose the pure stamina gems and take hybrids instead.

As for the talents, loose bladestorm and avatar and take dragon roar / bloodbath instead. Since you have the 2set bonus, you might want to consider the victory rush glyph instead of unending rage.

Try the medium stamina option on AMR.

Hey.

Thanks for the input. I normally go with bloodbath/dragon roar. Just used Bs/avatar for some fast 5 mans

Well, I've been a backup tank for the main team until now and have tanked in hc 10 man prog. Now I'm leading team 2 and doing 10man normals so maybe more mastery would fit me better

Komil

Quote Originally Posted by Komil View Post
    Hey.
    Well, I've been a backup tank for the main team until now and have tanked in hc 10 man prog. Now I'm leading team 2 and doing 10man normals so maybe more mastery would fit me better
    If you do only normals, then go with the low stamina option on AMR and change the Relic for a mastery trinket if you can get your hands on one. With your ilvl normals don't require any stamina in addition to what your gear naturally has.

Okai!

Tyvm!

Hopefully someone that understand logs can give me an input on how to improve there aswell

Komil

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The decision between Victory Rush Glyph and Unending Rage Glyph is a hard one. I, personally, prefer Death from Above. Love the mobility. I guess thats up to you.

Regarding the logs, I threw an eye on the Megaera encounter. I only see one major flaw, aside from that it looks pretty solid. You use Thunderclap too often. If you don´t have to tank AoE you only want to use TC once evry thirty seconds to maintain the weakened blows debuff on the boss. You used it 33 times. Even if we assume, that you have to re-apply it each time a head emerges and if we also assume, that your group takes roughly a minute to kill a head, you would only have to use TC 14 - 16 times. Everytime you use it above that, it wastes a gcd you could spend on devestate, which could procc shieldbash, which would add more rage, which could be used for more mitigation.
    Aside from that, I think the usage of Shieldbarriers is slightly low, but I assume you tried to have one up for each breath and thats fine. So no problem. Shieldblock uptime is great. It´s very nice to see, that you used 20 of your 21 Ultimatum proccs and not more than that. Wasting rage with HS seems to be a common issue for fresh prot warriors.
    Regarding gems, enchants and talents, you almost never want to pick bladestorm. It´s mainly Dragon´s Roar or Shockwave. Dragon´s Roar if damage is needed (Megaera) and Shockwave if addcontrole is crucial (Helpful at Tortos). Furthermore, you always want to pick Bloodbath since Avatar doesn´t increase rage-generation anymore. Safeguard is the better option in a lot of fights, since it in fact decreases the damage received instead of only splitting it. You will always find small windows where you can apply it to the other tank. Enchants and reforging seems fine, you wanna drop some of your stamina gems thou. Even if you push heroics later on, you will want a mastery heavy build in 10 man. As the guy above said, chose the medium stamina option at amr.

Finally, perhaps some minor advice. Especially at Megaera you could have used Shattering Throw. Lined up with Skullbanner it gives a real boost to your melees. Since you don´t have to tank during the rampage phase, it´s easy to apply without risking getting hit unmitigated. Since warriors have a shitload of abilities, from disarm to intimidating shout. use them all.
    Last edited by Valech; 2013-07-16 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Hello Regar.

Cheers for using time on me!

I didnt know TC was so bad to use a lot^^ But after reading what you posted, I'll use it less

As I wrote above, I only had BS/Avatar for fast 5mans. I normally use Bloodbath/Dragon Roar

And I thought Shattering Throw armor reduce was for only me, but if its for everyone I'll use it as I can

I was looking at AMR, but I can't find any "medium stamina" there.. Where abouts can I find it? I'll have another look around but couldnt seem to find it earlier.

Thanks for the input!

Komil

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Press on "Edit Weights". Its on the right side.

The thing with thunderclap is, that its damage is great if we have a lot of adds but since it doesn´t procc anything and weakened blows only needs to be applied once every 30 seconds, it´s smarter to use devestate.

Shattering Throw counts for everybody AND STACKS with sunder armor.

The regar is just a cut-off "regarding". I have no clue why I haven´t edited it away yet.
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Komil View Post
    And I thought Shattering Throw armor reduce was for only me, but if its for everyone I'll use it as I can
    Watch the "as I can," you can't dodge block or parry during the cast so it's a risk when you're tanking. Try to use it when the other tank is tanking or when there is no tanking going on for a while (like on rampages)
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    Hello fellow warrior,

You know when i was born as a warrior i was thinking only about mastery, i hated all that dodge and parry.

So personally i would recomend you to reforge out of dodge and parry to usefull stats like expertise and mastery.
    Heavy mastery builds is best for 10mans t15, even in progressions i was wearing only mastery and had almost no problem.

Dont forget that you are warrior, no strong self heal, your health is always going down, ALWAYS.
    So you must have good healers behind your back.

For gear i would recomend going for: helm and shoulders as sets only 2p best. Jinrock chest, waist and wrist with random enchantment as mastery, horidon cloak until legendary one, rings from primordius and durumu with sockets, bis neck is from trash drop with socket and mastery, lei shen shieldand legs, iron qon sword, for gloves dont remember atm i think i got gloves with crit as i am mastery capped, boots from bs with mastery, bis trinkets for not mastery capped is one from shado-pan assault guys and other one from troll cauncil. All your items must have mastery, if not, reforge something from other stat to mastery and thats all the story of warrior mastery whoring.

With those items you should be near mastery cap, exp hit capped will have hp for hc's (all hc's is easely done with 600k-650k)

Deleted
    I know its a minor point but with regards to some comments here, if your weapon is SERIOUSLY bad, Thunderclap will actually outscale devastate as a filler even including Sword and Board procs but you do need a certain amount of vengeance which in 10 man would be probably on the line of what is obtainable

Pretty much what is already posted here, although I would argue with the safeguard option. Intervene is more than enough to keep your vengeance going when you aren't main tanking and vigilance is imho the much better option. You can basically treat it like a hand of sacrifice and I have my grid / Clique set so that I just click a raid frame and it puts vigilance on them. It means that for movement sensitive fights such as lei-shen / animus / etc... you won't have to mess up the bosses position to still give that level of damage reduction to a player

Logs-wise it looks fine to me and you aren't falling into the pitfalls of wasting rage on Heroic Strikes. Your block uptime is great and your overall damage breakdown is where it should be. The only thing I can see is making sure you use your Demo Shout a bit more but apart from that, pretty damn nice = )

Thanks for all the input. Started some heavy mastery last raid and it felt much better!

Off topic: what to go for in 5.4?

Komil

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say mate, since ptr stuff ain´t final and I haven´t seen any calculations yet. Riposte makes it quite unpredictable. last thing I heard is to increase Dodge and Parry, thus, indirectly your crit. Hit and Exp caps will still be top 1 priority.

15+ Year Old Account
    Others have said allot of good info and LISTEN TO EDDY :P

A couple things I noticed just looking just at Megaera

1) No heroic leap damage : don't forget to use this a a dps cd when you can especially good for moving over to the rampage area and hitting the nuke head!
    2) I don't see any shout being applied by yourself during the fight. Though you may have the buffs up don't forget during down time in your rotation you can use a shout for a good rage generator 20 rage every minute as a filler!
    3) No use of demo shout! You should really be using this as much as possible / when needed to mitigate damage! Its a great 1 min CD and with the 4 piece you generate a nice boost in rage so it's worth getting use to useing it!
    4) You have 2 on use trinkets but I don't see them being activated at all for the fight.
    5) Shattering throw shoudl be used when you can safely cast it and is beneficial IE: if there is a time during Hero and your not tanking GREAT time to use it!
    6) Thunderclap ...already covered in previous posts but yea... great for AOE and applying the debuff... after that keep it in your back pocket :P

It's just little things but when looking at WOL one of the most important parts is "Buffs cast" tab. Too many tunel vision damage done or damage by spell comparisons but if you really want to see where you can improove always go to the buffs cast tab and see what you are not using or not keeping up enough

welcome to the prot war comunity hope you stick around and love it as much as many of us do!