Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Making money is fine. Making grotesque amounts of money is not.
    Define the difference. Be specific.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Making money is fine. Making grotesque amounts of money is not.
    I'm sorry but this is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

As long as it's legal, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with making ANY amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Define the difference. Be specific.
    The addition of an adjective.

yeah wow has turned into a monthly sub game WITH an item store, which in my opinion kind of sucks. its not the primary thing, but one of many things that have left me with absolutely no desire to play it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    What will I lose exactly? Pats-on-the-back from a bunch of whining fools who think Blizzard is THE DEVIL for wanting to be a successful business? High fives from the same people who declare Blizzard is now a bunch black-hearted, soulless abominations for selling a handful of mediocre transmog helms? People who talk out of their asses about how the moment Activision and Blizzard merged, suddenly there was a mysterious increase in EEVVVVVVIL emanating from Irvine CA?

Sorry pal but I don't jump on the kneejerkomgqqwtfblizz wagon unless there's a legitimate concern. Selling a bunch of pets and mounts, or even mog gear, is not a legitimate concern. Its optional content: some of it I bought happily, some of it I couldn't care less about.

So forgive me if I can't find a rat's ass to give about being one of 'you guys'.
    What you fail to understand is that companies aren't going to play fair with you either.

By siding(or by just staying neutral) with the "complainers" you have a chance at getting better value for your money.
    That's a nice boon, right?

By siding with the company what do you get? Not even that pat in the back. Nothing at ALL.
    It may be objectively be not that big of a deal (regarding this particular issue), but do you really think companies are going to apply that sane logic to you aswell, should a "Customer satisfaction vs money" concern arise? (See lack of server merges for years).
    No they won't, and they didn't, many times already.
    Last edited by plosion; 2013-07-16 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    It's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic, or dense. However, since this is MMO Champion and the collective IQ of the of readers make me worry about humanity (take the Swaziland thread as an example), I will assume the latter.

It appears that people are taking the term "Pay-to-Win" in the literal sense. It doesn't necessarily have to mean it only includes being able to purchase high level epics with real money.

Pay-to-Win is any model that affects the game play of the game and/or gives an advantage over someone who does not pay. The XP boost is clearly a device that falls under the Pay-to-Win model. Because it's not as substantial as buying epics doesn't negate the fact it's still Pay-to-Win.

Still intrigued?
    Recruit a Friend has existed for a whopping five years. Whether or not the exp boost potion is p2w is something I'll leave up to you; rather, if you do think that the exp boost potion is p2w, then you must also acknowledge that WoW has been p2w for the past 5 years.

Or does it not work that way?

Herald of the Titans Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner. There is a demand for these cosmetic upgrades and people are willing to spend real money on this. I'm assuming they were spending some time making the store and making sure the infrastructure was perfect.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

Partially, we triggered it. We're like the kid asking for chocolate bars at night not knowing its bad for us. But the parents who have greater power has the choice to give it to us or discipline us by not giving it. People say truth is subjective but no. Opinions are subjective, people will always have different thoughts because they've experience different things, been different places, heard things, read things, w/e. But truth isn't., just take gravity or space for example, we may not know the full knowledge of it or explain it masterfully, but what ever rule it is or what ever state it was during July 16, 11:50 am 2 seconds w/e will stay what it was forever. Now to tell why thats relevant is you can parent, lead or teach how ever you want, but that doesn't mean you can't be bad at any of those.

Christ this thread is a sespool of apologists. Ill take pleasure in linking this thread when the Blizzard store ends up with pages and pages of cosmetic gear on it. Its an inevitable spiral into an awful micro transaction model.

Im hoping they will do the right thing and allow us to earn these models ingame, but I severly doubt it, as with the unique mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Recruit a Friend has existed for a whopping five years. Whether or not the exp boost potion is p2w is something I'll leave up to you; rather, if you do think that the exp boost potion is p2w, then you must also acknowledge that WoW has been p2w for the past 5 years.

Or does it not work that way?
    We all conveniently forget about the recruit a friend, because it's completely different....somehow.

Many of the items on the shop were for charitable organizations as well. Some earning millions in donations.

Get a job at Burger King and deal with some impatient jerkoff who hands you a $20 bill, and then emphatically states that act entitles him to one of everything on the menu and one of everything BK adds to the menu in the future. When you explain that it does not he screams, becomes irrational, makes whiny forum posts and even tweets #burgerking talking about what an asshole you are and how he's not eating there anymore and how you should lose your job. Now breathe in, and take a moment to full absorb how utterly, hilariously ignorant that situation would be.

Here's the kicker: some of you are just like that guy. The kind of 'customer' I wouldn't want within a hundred miles of my business.

You scream and you bitch about your $15 and what it entitles you to, when what you get for it is EXACTLY what you knew you were getting when you signed up: access to WoW.

Rather than continuing to throw these little hissy bitch-fits and cluttering up the forums with countless, useless topics like this one, simply unsub from the game and spare yourself the stress - and in the process, spare everyone else your whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Christ this thread is a sespool of apologists. Ill take pleasure in linking this thread when the Blizzard store ends up with pages and pages of cosmetic gear on it. Its an inevitable spiral into an awful micro transaction model.

Im hoping they will do the right thing and allow us to earn these models ingame, but I severly doubt it, as with the unique mounts.
    I still don't understand how cosmetic items affect anything major? Do they help me do more dps?

- - - Updated - - -

Get a job at Burger King and deal with some impatient jerkoff who hands you a $20 bill, and then emphatically states that act entitles him to one of everything on the menu and one of everything BK adds to the menu in the future. When you explain that it does not he screams, becomes irrational, makes whiny forum posts and even tweets #burgerking talking about what an asshole you are and how he's not eating there anymore and how you should lose your job. Now breathe in, and take a moment to full absorb how utterly, hilariously ignorant that situation would be.

Here's the kicker: some of you are just like that guy. The kind of 'customer' I wouldn't want within a hundred miles of my business.

You scream and you bitch about your $15 and what it entitles you to, when what you get for it is EXACTLY what you knew you were getting when you signed up: access to WoW.

Rather than continuing to throw these little hissy bitch-fits and cluttering up the forums with countless, useless topics like this one, simply unsub from the game and spare yourself the stress - and in the process, spare everyone else your whining.
    I would have put it less harshly but if you are comfortable with giving blizzard 15 bucks then whatever they do with the money is up to them. Unless there is some contract somewhere that says no cash shop items.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher069 View Post
    We all conveniently forget about the recruit a friend, because it's completely different....somehow.
    Care to explain how it is diff- oh, sarcasm, mmmyes.

That's pretty much my point exactly. The only real difference is that RaF is, I suppose, a little more frustrating. With the exp boost potion, you'll most likely just chug it and get the boost - nice and simple. With RaF you either had to a). coordinate with someone else when to play, or b). set up two accounts (excuse me if I'm wrong here, I've never used this feature). At the end of the day, it's spending a little extra for a boost in-game, which sounds quite a bit like the exp boost potion.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Care to explain how it is diff- oh, sarcasm, mmmyes.

That's pretty much my point exactly. The only real difference is that RaF is, I suppose, a little more frustrating. With the exp boost potion, you'll most likely just chug it and get the boost - nice and simple. With RaF you either had to a). coordinate with someone else when to play, or b). set up two accounts (excuse me if I'm wrong here, I've never used this feature). At the end of the day, it's spending a little extra for a boost in-game, which sounds quite a bit like the exp boost potion.
    Yeah that's is basically how it works. I have not used it myself but friends and guildies have and the only difference between RaF and a possible XP potion is convenience.

Christ this thread is a sespool of apologists. Ill take pleasure in linking this thread when the Blizzard store ends up with pages and pages of cosmetic gear on it.
    Why will that be a problem?

Link to this thread when they start selling current content raid-level gear.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher069 View Post
    I still don't understand how cosmetic items affect anything major? Do they help me do more dps?
    Ive already said why cosmetics are a massive part of the game.

Every achievment we do is usually attributed to cosmetics. Challenge modes are for cosmetics. We run old dungeons and farm things to Xmog for cosmetics!

The only time we arent worrying about cosmetics is when were raiding for a few hours every week or PvPing. Outside of that this game is massively invested in cosmetics.

Ive disliked them making mounts and pets in the past, but gear is a step too far, and if anyone thinks they will stop at 3 helmets, you are mad.

Go into Macy's and buy a shirt that you like. Then you see another that you link but of course its a separate, optional purchase. Would you contact Macy's corporate and ask for an alternative way to earn that additional shirt?

If you did they'd say no (and probably laugh at you) because the shirt you bought is what you are entitled to with your money. The $15 a month you pay for WoW entitles you to access to the game whenever the servers are live (which is almost all the time, anymore), access to whatever expansions you've purchased and up to 50 characters per account.

WoW has never increased in cost, not even 1$, not even a quarter, and there is more to do than ever before in game so it could be strongly argued that you're getting MORE for your 'buck' than ever before.

No matter how badly you want the Blizzard store stuff, no matter how much you wish there was alternative methods to get it (and I'm not saying there shouldn't be, mind you), the fact of the matter is this: it is perfectly reasonable for them to sell additional optional services and non-essential items outside of the game.

If they were selling tier tokens, heroic raid gear, weapons, raid unlocks, etc on the Blizzard store I would understand (and join in) the rage. But 3 helms that have about the level of detail as stuff in vanilla? lolno.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2013-07-16 at 05:19 PM.

No, real life is how they managed to *lose* millions of subscribers. Time, cost of bills, etc. When people unsub they can state why and that is what the overwhelming majority stated. But hey, by all means, resume talking out of your ass about things you clearly know nothing about.
    The point is, if all the nice shiny stuff slowly moves over to the cash shop, the sub is simply not worth hanging onto anymore. Claiming that the sub is used for server costs AND content patch development is currently only a half-truth, as a part of content (being cosmetic stuff in this case), is being moved away from being purchased with your subscription, but the cash shop instead. Before the time of Sparklepony, 100% of content created was bought by subscribing to the game. If you now wish to get 100% of the content, your subscription is maybe 60-70% of the money you'll have to drop, the other 30-40% being in microtransactions. Meaning either you have to pay more (a LOT more), or you'll relatively have a less 'complete' game for your money.

Yes, a cash shop is a great thing, but there is no sense to make you pay for content twice... If cash shop sales were to drop to none right this moment, and Blizzard would include all these items in the game obtainable for free, attached to an achievement or something, it's not like they'd stop making a profit. But people buy it, so they continue to throw a higher percentage of appearance stuff onto the cash shop, and simply make more profit.

Also, the whole "nobody forces you to buy it" is not an argument that belongs here. That is related to the "Pay to Win vs Free to Play" discussion. Nobody is saying that WoW is becoming Pay to Win, except for some tiny vocal low-IQ minority. The thing people get annoyed by, is the normally absolutely unacceptable mentality of combining Mandatory-Subscription-based and Cash-shop-based business models. The acceptable thing has always been one thing or the other, not both.

-Old WoW: buy once, then subscription.
    -GW2: buy once, then some cash shop.
    -Tera/SWtOR/DCUO/Planetside: cash shop, with completely optional subscription service that gives you extra goodies.
    -LoL/DoTA 2/TF2 (not MMOs of course): cash shop only.
    -SC2/D3: Buy Once only, playing online is free.

Having a mandatory subscription, an as-good-as mandatory expansion purchase every 2-1.5 years, mandatory initial buy-in, AND a cash-shop is simply never done. The Secret World tried it, but already had to drop the subscription part: It simply can't be done unless you already have a massive fanbase who simply accept it.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Why do you care about what they put in game?

You've mentioned before you're no longer subbed and all you do in this subforum is WoW bashing, I don't quite see what you expect to get.