Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Maybe it's "our" fault the Blizzard Store exist ...

... if people hadn't enthusiastically bought those mounts and half a dozen pets, if people hadn't abuse RAF with wild abandon, if people don't buy 4 additional accounts just so they can "pwn" in BGs. But "we" did, convincing Blizzard that all that is financially very profitable.

The only way to shut down the store is to stop buying ... ya, good luck with that. LOL

So what next?

Haircuts?
    Beards?
    Eyebrows?
    Faces?
    Tattoos?
    Skin colour?
    Spell effects?
    Improved animation?

Heck, feel Alliance/Horde isn't "winning" enough? Buy a "vote" for the next Alliance/Horde victory/defeat! Only $1 at the Blizzard Store. Why not? Blizzard has shown that everything is for sale, everything has a price. It's not like it "affects" gameplay.

Welcome to Capitalism I suppose. Ideals, integrity, "having a vision", screw all that. The "God" that is money is all that matters. In the words of the Lich King, "In the end, you will all serve me.".

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry you just now discovered Blizzard is a company that is interested in making money.
    Last edited by Deathgoose; 2013-07-16 at 08:17 PM.

Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal. If people like those things, they don't mind buying them. No one forces anyone to buy anything from the Blizzard store.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

So bizarre how people who "don't care" about items in the cash shop are so adamant about defending Blizzard.

According to Blizzard: if they're not complaining then they don't care and are happy.
    So why don't you all just do the same?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread woukd be better served when Blizz goes pay to win. Transmogging and exp boosts are not P2W
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

It's definitely there players' faults that Blizzard is able to get away with milking its customers and being so greedy. I think it's insulting to have ANYTHING cost extra, even transfers, on a game with a subscription. But they'll continue to charge for that and every other thing they can come up with, while retaining the subscription, cause they know there's a ton of people who won't hesitate to throw money at them. So yes Blizzard is insultingly greedy, but it's because they can be, and they can be because the customers allow them to be.

Obviously. The reason any product exists is that there is a demand for it. People demand pretty pixels, and Blizz gladly sells them.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    exp boosts are not P2W
    Well.. Exp boost interact directly with the gameplay so.. I'm not sur this isnt P2W
    \m/(-_-)\m/

I'm alone again and old pine tree
    Asked me, where's your woman?
    I said: Shut up or I make of you another Firewood

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    I'm sorry you just now discovered Blizzard is a company that in interested in making money.
    This.
    Also, of course they broaden the range of their store products because people bought the other things. You didn't seriously come to this conclusion just now, did you?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    Well.. Exp boost interact directly with the gameplay so.. I'm not sur this isnt P2W
    How does leveling faster equal pay2win? I'm intrigued.

10+ Year Old Account
    A gaming company will try to maximize the bottom line as often as they can. The trick with Blizzard and WoW though is that they rely on a monthly subscription fee, so they are subject to the whim of their players. In the past they haven't been able to just open a player shop because their would've been crazy outcry from players, so they played the long con. They slowly dribbled in these tiny things to wear us down.

First it was pets, the mounts on the provision that "oh it doesn't effect gameplay, its just cosmetic!" and most players were ok with this. They even had some charity versions where half the profits went to charitable causes. Then Diablo 3 comes out with real life money transactions. Another chip away at the blizzard community.

It's a slippery slope when it comes to this, and we're only now picking up momentum. I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy catch up gear next expansion.
    Hi

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    It's definitely there players' faults that Blizzard is able to get away with milking its customers and being so greedy.
    It is the player's "fault" that Blizzard makes money out of the store. Whether this actually qualifies Blizzard as "milking its customers" and "being so greedy" is debatable.

I think it's insulting to have ANYTHING cost extra, even transfers, on a game with a subscription.
    Why? Try this analogy: Let's say you join a gym. You pay a monthly subscription to go. Does that entitle you to get unlimited free refreshments from their tuckshop?

But they'll continue to charge for that and every other thing they can come up with, while retaining the subscription, cause they know there's a ton of people who won't hesitate to throw money at them.
    It also allows them to retain their profit margin, in spite of declining subscription numbers, without having to increase the monthly subscription costs for the rest of us, and without reducing the value we get out of the game.

So yes Blizzard is insultingly greedy, but it's because they can be, and they can be because the customers allow them to be.
    Yes, that's one way to look it, but I read your comment as loaded with emotive language that destroys its credibility as an objective assessment of the situation.

Another way to look at it is that they are being innovative about the income stream, finding ways to generate the revenue they want from those players willing to pay more, without affecting the rest of us negatively.

When it gets to the stage that I am having to buy extra stuff on the store in order to keep playing this game at the level I always have been, then my tune may change, but until then I see this as nothing more than a storm in a teacup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    ... if people hadn't enthusiastically bought those mounts and half a dozen pets, if people hadn't abuse RAF with wild abandon, if people don't buy 4 additional accounts just so they can "pwn" in BGs. But "we" did, convincing Blizzard that all that is financially very profitable.

The only way to shut down the store is to stop buying ... ya, good luck with that. LOL

So what next?

Haircuts?
    Beards?
    Eyebrows?
    Faces?
    Tattoos?
    Skin colour?
    Spell effects?
    Improved animation?

Heck, feel Alliance/Horde isn't "winning" enough? Buy a "vote" for the next Alliance/Horde victory/defeat! Only $1 at the Blizzard Store. Why not? Blizzard has shown that everything is for sale, everything has a price. It's not like it "affects" gameplay.

Welcome to Capitalism I suppose. Ideals, integrity, "having a vision", screw all that. The "God" that is money is all that matters. In the words of the Lich King, "In the end, you will all serve me.".
    Are you seriously this dumb? I'm sorry, I rarely levy a direct insult at people here or anywhere else, but this forum topic is not only redundant (thanks for wasting forum space with even more worthless clutter), its completely stupid.

Blizzard is a COMPANY. Companies want to make money. Anyone who thinks that is immoral or evil or whatever is clueless. If it offends you that deeply, cancel your sub and go back to your fantasy world where companies don't need money to succeed.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2013-07-16 at 03:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of fantasy world do people live in where something like this is a revelation?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Cosmetic optional items. Who cares.

Think about what we get for our £8.99 a month compared to back in Classic. I might be missing a few things off both lists, it isn't intentional, but the amount of stuff to do in this game has grown, and their subscription fee hasn't. You think the development and maintenance of all these things is cheap?

Classic:

- Leveling Process (Quest based primarily)
    - Battlegrounds
    - Raids
    - Dungeons

Mists of Pandaria:

- Battlegrounds
    - Pet Battles
    - Dungeons
    - Heroic Dungeons
    - Scenarios
    - Heroic Scenarios
    - Arenas
    - Rated Battlegrounds
    - Brawlers Guild
    - Achievements
    - Normal Mode Raiding
    - Looking for Raid
    - Heroic Mode Raiding
    - Flex Mode Raiding

Lost it at
    That being said, I myself have bought the pets from store. But as long as they don't add stuff that will give you an edge in-game. I'm fine with whatever.

I seriously don't understand the fuss about this.

Because you can't extra free stuff, capitalism is a big, evil demon? Got it. Let me know how it goes when you picket the car dealership for not giving you all the frills for no extra charge on your base model.

So yes Blizzard is insultingly greedy, but it's because they can be, and they can be because the customers allow them to be.
    Then by your logic, all business are "greedy" because, by definition, the purpose of all businesses is to - *gasp - make money. If they had advertised that all of the game's features, both in-game and out-of-game, were included in the subscription price, then you might have a case. But they didn't. And you don't. Bitching about having to pay for (irrelevant) "extras" is absurd.

Deleted
    fault implies that there is something wrong about it - this i can not see....

People are looking too far into this lol. Blizzard is trying to make more money. That is all.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    It depends. If they enable exp boost during the first week of a new expansion, I would be somewhat upset. However I suspect they would probably have the sense to disable this.

Once the race for all the class world/server firsts are done and dusted, and all the serious raiders/pvpers/challenge mode dungeoneers etc who need to level cap fast have reached level cap, the exp boost becomes pretty benign.

As I see it, it is a tool primarily intended to help people level their alts faster, or for people resubbing to catch up faster. The fact that it only currently works from level 85-89 could be permanent, ie they will introduce another one for level 90-94 sometime after the release of the next expac