Deleted

quick question about being a mod

It's moderator recruitment season again, and I've checked and I am eligible for the Paladin forums. I'm still hesitating on whether or not I'm actually going to apply, but I wonder 1 thing: can mods infract people for posts outside of their designated forum? or are their mod powers confined to just their own forum?

Nope, mods just infract in their forums. Though we will often point out things which might be bad to mods of that forum or to Super Mods. So it's not the same as being powerless in other sections.

Deleted
    thanks for the clarification.

one more thing: during the 4 years I've been on here, I've gotten 4 infractions, one of which recently. Personally, I think 4 infractions in 4 years is not that much, and I believe other people also got mod status with more infractions, but are those infraactions a serious hindrance to my chances?

It is my understanding that the infractions are looked into rather than judged by what it looks like.
    Should not hurt your chances unless I am wrong :>

It only depends on the severity of the infractions.

I don't think I agree with Arlee's comment but I'm not a mod so I can't really argue. I was under the assumption that mods could infract anywhere, but couldn't use special powers like locking threads and editting posts or other things if it wasn't one of their subforums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I was under the assumption that mods could infract anywhere, but couldn't use special powers like locking threads and editting posts or other things if it wasn't one of their subforums.
    There's a difference between can and should in this case. Yes, we can (as in, the forum software allows it) infract everywhere. However, this is something reserved for very very edge cases - say, a spambot going on a rampage in a subforum with none of that forum's mods and no super mods reachable.

Oh no. I was saying if it's possible to do so, not whether or not he should or not.

Okay fine, these guys want the rant:

Moderation is a heavy responsibility, Temperance Brennan. When it comes to infractions and closing threads, you never act on your own, you communicate with the other moderators via IRC and discuss whether or not you should use your powers. Of course, this is within the confines of your own subforum, which you are expected to know inside and out to make the best decisions. But when it comes to other subforums, you should almost never infract anyone unless it's some off hour where other moderators aren't around and you need to take care of a VERY blatant spammer. In any other case, you should just point out the problem you see to a moderator who is the mod of the subforum you see the problem in or a super moderator and let them take the action.

Oh god that was dull. Look what you did Treeston.

Again, I'm not a moderator so you can't really take anything I say to heart, but I'd like to think it's an okay rule of thumb.

No really, this post is like a moderator's discretion type of thing, I was only posting before to tell you technical things.

Quote Originally Posted by Temperance Brennan View Post

one more thing: during the 4 years I've been on here, I've gotten 4 infractions, one of which recently. Personally, I think 4 infractions in 4 years is not that much, and I believe other people also got mod status with more infractions, but are those infraactions a serious hindrance to my chances?
    Having infractions won't preclude you. Many mods have had infractions of one sort or another at some point. They will be looked at to see the severity/circumstances which could have lead to the infractions though. A lot of what is looked at is how active you are in the forum you apply for and how you post (if you are helpful, if you seem to know what you are talking about, if you seem to already be a good example of the intent behind the rules, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It only depends on the severity of the infractions.

I don't think I agree with Arlee's comment but I'm not a mod so I can't really argue. I was under the assumption that mods could infract anywhere, but couldn't use special powers like locking threads and editting posts or other things if it wasn't one of their subforums.
    We can infract everywhere. But if you do that you won't be a mod for long. Anything outside of your area of the forum should be referred to global mods or admins.

10+ Year Old Account

About a week or so after applying to be a mod, I received a message from Scrapbot. At first I thought it was a reply to my application, but instead it was an infraction. I still got the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    About a week or so after applying to be a mod, I received a message from Scrapbot. At first I thought it was a reply to my application, but instead it was an infraction. I still got the job.
    LOL! That's great.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think 4 infractions in 4 years is not that much, and I believe other people also got mod status with more infractions...
    Your beliefs are irrelevant to the discussion. Without empirical data, it's not logical to assume anyone would have gotten mod status with more infractions until all the evidence is in.

There is no "threshold" or a set number of infractions that would automatically reject you. It does not mean that if you have X infractions in Y days, you wouldn't be promoted. All infractions are looked at case-by-case, and your activity, helpfulness and overall attitude in the forums you apply to are generally weighted more heavily than mild infractions. My advice? Go for it! You have nothing to lose, and lots to gain (the mod team is awesome).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    Your beliefs are irrelevant to the discussion. Without empirical data, it's not logical to assume anyone would have gotten mod status with more infractions until all the evidence is in.

There is no "threshold" or a set number of infractions that would automatically reject you. It does not mean that if you have X infractions in Y days, you wouldn't be promoted. All infractions are looked at case-by-case, and your activity, helpfulness and overall attitude in the forums you apply to are generally weighted more heavily than mild infractions. My advice? Go for it! You have nothing to lose, and lots to gain (the mod team is awesome).
    People can change, which is why the amount of infractions isn't important. I won't name names, but we have one mod with 3 pages of infractions. They learned to behave and improved, and now are mod-worthy.

Heh, i hate this mininum amount of posts required thing to be a mod. Since i play so many classes (almost all really) its hard to stick with one class, let alone one forum ><

Deleted
    We certainly need a couple more moderators in General off-topic, sometimes hours can by without a troll being infracted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss being a mod. I miss Dars on irc.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I miss being a mod. I miss Dars on irc.
    Can you not reapply?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Can you not reapply?
    Yes. You're allowed to re-apply. Whether you've been a moderator before, or whether you've been turned down in previous application waves.

Applications are always open.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    We certainly need a couple more moderators in General off-topic, sometimes hours can by without a troll being infracted.
    I applied and was denied!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I applied and was denied!!
    I applied twice before they accepted me
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)