Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Could religion cease to exist in the future?

Hey!

Well like the title says, could it?
    I was watching Angels and Demons and I started thinking about how the world has changed, how religion and faith has changed. Then I asked myself this question. Is faith in God and Gods something that will vanish as time goes?

I googled it and read this interesting article about it as well: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...s2.mainsection

Now, I am an atheist, but I am not anti-religion. I believe in Science and Humans and that every person have the right to have faith in whatever they believe in. But despite my lack of faith I do find the history of religions so fascinating and interesting. It all has changed so much as the world has been opened up.
    And we evolve all the time and many religions and faiths have faded into history. Gods that were central to human society have become simple stories of the past.

It all makes me wonder if Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and many more will fade into the past as well. Will we only believe in science one day? Will Christianity be replaced by something else in the western world?
    Personally I think that might be a possibility. Maybe more so for Christianity than say Islam, as Islam is so much more a part of life where its roots lie.

What do you think?
    This isn't about which religion is right or wrong by the way (respect everyone's faith), just what might happen with current religions as time goes on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Modern religions will likely either fade away. But they will either evolve into a new form, or be replaced. Religion itself will always exist in some way.

Deleted
    I sure hope so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I sure hope so.
    Why? How is my religion affecting you in any way?

Deleted
    Depends if certain parts of the world evolve past the "need" for religion.

But i find it likely that the west will eventually outgrow religion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Theres some annoying guy that hands me stuff everyday b4 i get the bus despite telling him not to, kinda annoying :P

But in seriousness i'm not going to express my full opinion of religions here as to avoid a pointless arguement.

Perhaps not cease to exist, but lose it's power & influence. I imagine that they will be regarded much the same as Nordic mythology or the Greek gods are regarded today.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I thought religious topics were forbidden on MMO-C?...

Deleted

muslims are litteraly invading my country with there halal slaughter, trying to remove traditions my country have had since forever, they rape and rob ppl native to the country "cus its easy"

not to mention jeehovas witness KNOCKING AT MY DOOR, wanting me to join thier sect.

tell me again about how religion wont affect me in any way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d0oms View Post
    Theres some annoying guy that hands me stuff everyday b4 i get the bus despite telling him not to, kinda annoying :P

But in seriousness i'm not going to express my full opinion of religions here as to avoid a pointless arguement.
    Well that is his specific religion. Nobody who shares my beliefs is ever going to hand you a pamphlet, I promise you that.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's your religion?

And how can you question if religion affects him in any way? Of course it does. Does one really have to explain?

Anyhow, people has believed in God / Jesus for over 2000 years without any proof of their existense. I doubt they'll cave in to common sense any time soon. Humans are still, evidently, quite primitive.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Only if it turns into bashing, in my experience.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ikas6 View Post
    muslims are litteraly invading my country with there halal slaughter, trying to remove traditions my country have hada since forever, they rape and rob ppl native to the country "cus its easy"

not to mention jeehovas witness KNOCKING AT MY DOOR, wanting me to join thier sect.

tell me again about how religion wont affect me in any way
    Again, you're talking about specific religions. If you want to get rid of those specific ones, fine. But don't sit here and tell me that I'm both a muslim and a jehovah's witness, or that I'm responsible for anything they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    What's your religion?

And how can you question if religion affects him in any way? Of course it does. Does one really have to explain?
    I'm an agnostic theist. Tell me how agnosticism is hurting you, please.

Let's not pretend that your beliefs don't affect your life and those around you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Bashing them is forbidden. You can say a thing or 2, but much more is too much.

(there is religius posts in food,sports and so on, its part of life)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Let's not pretend that your beliefs don't affect your life and those around you.
    Okay, then please tell me what my religious beliefs are and how they affect anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, you're talking about specific religions. If you want to get rid of those specific ones, fine. But don't sit here and tell me that I'm both a muslim and a jehovah's witness, or that I'm responsible for anything they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I thought you said you were in a religion.

I never said anything about it hurting him. Seems like you just want to cause drama.
    Hi

Okay, then please tell me what my religious beliefs are and how they affect anyone.
    I made no such claim of knowing what you believe, I just said that your beliefs affect others and that's why one should be allowed to criticize other people's beliefs.

Deleted
    One can only hope my friend. And before another person asks me how it affects me personally, i'm doing what the guy above me says and stay out of it, Il'll just say I've lived in Glasgow for 20 years, and if you know what I mean by that, it's obvious - and i'm living in Denmark at the moment, and again, if you know what I mean by that, ESPECIALLY in this week, it's obvious ^_^

Agnostic theists generally don't adhere to any dogmas, and don't claim knowledge about unknowable things, so I'd say that's a healthy belief and I don't think that would negatively affect anyone around you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Sorry, I thought you said you were in a religion.

I never said anything about it hurting him. Seems like you just want to cause drama.
    I don't belong to an organized religion, but I have faith nonetheless. I believe there is a god, though I don't claim to know his will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I made no such claim of knowing what you believe, I just said that your beliefs affect others and that's why one should be allowed to criticize other people's beliefs.
    I'm just sick of being treated like I'm some sort of uncivilized barbarian simply because I want to believe that there is something after death. That literally hurts nobody in any way, but everyone gets pissed any time I mention it. Apparently I'm destroying humanity because I don't like the idea of ceasing to exist. Fuck me, right?