Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Well, agnosticism is not a religion.
    Yeah. He/she didn't bother to mention what god/gods he/she believes in. Kinda hard to have a discussion when people withhold info.

There will always be religions, sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course, it is already happening.

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    You could also sau Htiler was used religion as a motivator but that is a dumb thing to say as well. The soviet union just showed what people will do with full control over a country, many religious run civilizations have done similar and it was never due to what they believe but instead the person who lead them. If you replace Stallin with someone who actually gave a flying fuck about the people in his nation then it'd have been very different. Bad people will do bad things and good people will try there best to do good, that holds true if that person has a religion or not
    Well, atheism government is 1 / 1 in being inhuman monsters. A perfect record of insanity. No thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I don't belong to an organized religion, but I have faith nonetheless. I believe there is a god, though I don't claim to know his will.

I'm just sick of being treated like I'm some sort of uncivilized barbarian simply because I want to believe that there is something after death. That literally hurts nobody in any way, but everyone gets pissed any time I mention it. Apparently I'm destroying humanity because I don't like the idea of ceasing to exist. Fuck me, right?
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it is the truth

There are people who proclaim it as the absolute truth, and there are people who simply believe something.

I have no problems with people who believe things, heck you can believe Obama is an alien or house are built with the corpses of fairies for all I care, as long as people do not spread their misinformation or convey it onto others.

In people's minds they can do whatever they like, but we all live in a real world bound by cause and effect and people are naive. If they're told they can be healed by prayer (even though it doesn't work) they'll still stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonvel View Post
    Even if it will cease to exists after a major catastrophe and ppl will turn back to religion since it offers them comfort and makes them think that ppl who they lost are in better place
    That's the only scenario I can think of, that would allow religion to make a comeback. As it looks now however, religion is slowly losing it's power & influence over the state and it's people.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Teaching religion to children is psychological child abuse.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Well, atheism government is 1 / 1 in being inhuman monsters. A perfect record of insanity. No thanks!
    If I flip a coin once, and it lands on heads. Does that mean it always will land on heads?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Religion will not disappear in the near future. People said secularism would make religion obsolete and that it would cease to exist during the 1900s. I can only use Sweden as an example since I'm most familiar with my home country. Organized religion in Sweden have declined, but personal religion where the religious people take from a smorgasbord of things have grown stronger. So has more eccentric groups with a more strict view of the world. Liberal groups within religion have had the most declination.
    Churches are almost empty, but people still believe but do not belong to a certain organization.
    My personal views on how religion will look in the future is either the western version of smorgasbord or a more fundamentalistic religious belief will take the greatest hold on peoples lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt Religions will cease to exist. They will "evolve" or new ones will appear. I do however think that most Religions in todays age will be Officially classed as Mythologies. People will always be tied in Spiritually and believe in something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Teaching religion to children is psychological child abuse.
    This, a thousand times, this.

People don't seem to understand how incredibly easy it is to manipulate children into believing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdbear View Post
    Religion will not disappear in the near future. People said secularism would make religion obsolete and that it would cease to exist during the 1900s. I can only use Sweden as an example since I'm most familiar with my home country. Organized religion in Sweden have declined, but personal religion where the religious people take from a smorgasbord of things have grown stronger. So has more eccentric groups with a more strict view of the world. Liberal groups within religion have had the most declination.
    Churches are almost empty, but people still believe but do not belong to a certain organization.
    My personal views on how religion will look in the future is either the western version of smorgasbord or a more fundamentalistic religious belief will take the greatest hold on peoples lives.
    Agnosticism and Deism/Theism is the gateway drug to Secularism.

Science cannot replace religion because they perform different functions. Religion offers a moral code. Science is about experimentation and discovery.

I would NOT want to live in a world without religion. There has been ONE civilization run by atheists in modern times, the Soviet Union, and they treated people like DOGS, running concentration camps, slaughtering their own people, and were completely crazy. Screw that.
    There is a science of morality as well, you know...

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    This, a thousand times, this.

People don't seem to understand how incredibly easy it is to manipulate children into believing something.
    IN a way you are correct- Teaching a child from infancy onwards that *insert religion* is 100% correct and shouldn't question it is just plain wrong. I come from a very religious family, as in as religious as you can get probably (in fact was one of the earlier religions mentioned in the thread)

I was brought up to always question- is what i'm hearing real? or is it just a big pile of horse shite ... If I decided it was rubbish, off I went with no hard feelings- If I wanted to stay and practice , cool beans. and even then! I had to prove I knew my shit by answering 80 hard questions to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into before I would be allowed to practice.

That's how it should be done! this baptizing babies before they can make an informed decision is plain ludicrous. They then live with the stigma of I am *such and such* without having a clue what it means etc

Deleted
    There will always be religion in some form or other as sheep need something to follow.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Modern religions will likely either fade away. But they will either evolve into a new form, or be replaced. Religion itself will always exist in some way.
    I tend to agree with this thought. I think it's unlikely that religion will ever completely go away, though I do expect people to become more open and willing to accept science and rational thought in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bertieballs View Post
    There will always be religion in some form or other as sheep need something to follow.

Deleted
    As long as there are people who are unable to cope with the reality of our mortality and fleeting existence, and the crushing fact that once we die there is nothing, there will always be something those people will believe in, some lie they will keep telling themselves in order to sleep at night.

So no, unfortunately religions aren't going to cease to exist, ever.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Science cannot replace religion because they perform different functions. Religion offers a moral code. Science is about experimentation and discovery.

I would NOT want to live in a world without religion. There has been ONE civilization run by atheists in modern times, the Soviet Union, and they treated people like DOGS, running concentration camps, slaughtering their own people, and were completely crazy. Screw that.
    I'm PREEETTY sure the only reason they did that was because they wanted yet another way to control people. In this case, it was taking away their religion and replacing it with whatever they said. This is not how most atheists think. I'm personally just an agnostic, but I to listen to quite a few atheist podcasts and videos and such.

Quote Originally Posted by bertieballs View Post
    I've always thought that many who followed Christianity needed something to lean on, to keep them strong and comfort them. I've always hoped that some day people might lean on other people. People comforting others. I mean after all, it is we who feed the poor and hold the weeping.
    I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that I dream of a society where we turn to fellow humans to keep us strong instead of God.

10+ Year Old Account
    strictly on topic: Nope, not going anywhere anytime soon. It's part of human nature.
    As long as we have the ability to believe, as long religions will remain to exist.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."