Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you believe Southern Strategy still exists? (racism against blacks)

Interesting read and never heard of it before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Pretty shady if you ask me...

Rove knocked out McCain in 2000 by spreading a push poll in South Carolina implying he has a black child.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "South" as the Census bureau considers it

1968 electoral college results, when Nixon was employing said strategy. The blue Texas is a fine example of the spoiler effect in action. Wallace (who ran on an anti-desegregation platform) took 18% of the vote, mostly from Nixon, and thus allowed Humphrey to take the state with 41% of the vote. This percentage has remained about the same (plus or minus a few percentage points) ever since except in 1976, where Carter took Texas 51-48, by dint of being a southerner (Georgian) himself.

Electoral college results last year

As far as the south goes, looks pretty similar, other than the Virginias switching and Florida going blue by a narrow margin.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Interesting read and never heard of it before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Pretty shady if you ask me...
    Yes of course, they are essentially the same voters ever since the republican party did it in the late 60's - early 70's. I wouldn't call it a belief that it is happening, there is plenty of historical data confirming its existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Deleted
    Yea, it's sad to see that many people are just blatantly racist. I mean the stupid, ignorant racism of course.. stereotypes and the attitude that these people don't belong here and should go back to Africa. On the other hand apologists and excessive political correctness is even worse, things like calling people racist for not voting Obama or for putting a black man in jail for stealing instead of apologizing to him about hes ancestors being slave and letting him leave with the spoils.

So yeah.. it depends on how you look at it. For example I oppose all special rights programs for minorities or excessive anti racism like punishing for bad words and wouldn't vote for a party who would be likely to do such things. Treat everyone as equal, whether they apply for a job or have committed a crime but if you expect me to apologize because my great granddaddy had a slave.. forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Yea, it's sad to see that many people are just blatantly racist. I mean the stupid, ignorant racism of course.. stereotypes and the attitude that these people don't belong here and should go back to Africa. On the other hand apologists and excessive political correctness is even worse, things like calling people racist for not voting Obama or for putting a black man in jail for stealing instead of apologizing to him about hes ancestors being slave and letting him leave with the spoils.

So yeah.. it depends on how you look at it. For example I oppose all special rights programs for minorities or excessive anti racism like punishing for bad words and wouldn't vote for a party who would be likely to do such things. Treat everyone as equal, whether they apply for a job or have committed a crime but if you expect me to apologize because my great granddaddy had a slave.. forget about it.
    Not sure what any of that has to do with the discussion on hand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not sure what any of that has to do with the discussion on hand.
    Well, I'm from the south and I know a lot of people are actually racist. So this kind of strategy might work.. and if it does, politics is a dirty game, it would be stupid not to use it.
    Last edited by mmocc089ef6a74; 2013-07-17 at 03:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Well, I'm from the south and I know a lot of people are actually racist. So this kind of strategy might work.. and if it does, politics is a dirty game, it would be stupid not to use it.
    Of course it works, Reagan had the first meme; welfare queens, who do you think that was alluding to, whites? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

In my experience the north is more segregated then the south as far as the make up of different neighborhoods being based on ethnicity. Also at least we don't chant racist slogans at sporting events as Europeans are known for at soccer matches so who really is more racist?

It's funny the view some people have of the south when I work with Indians, Black Africans, and Eastern Europeans. I mean this area has lots of high tech companies but apparently we're just stupid racist rednecks to some ignorant people.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2013-07-17 at 04:19 PM.

This topic in a nutshell:

Anybody who lives in the south or votes Republican is a racist.

So basically, without equivocation, you all have reduced two entire groups of people to one damming characteristic. Its so ironic that, uhm, that's exactly what ACTUAL racism is.

/shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    This topic in a nutshell:

Anybody who lives in the south or votes Republican is a racist.

So basically, without equivocation, you all have reduced two entire groups of people to one damming characteristic. Its so ironic that, uhm, that's exactly what ACTUAL racism is.

/shrug
    No on has said that. Put your outrage away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    In my experience the north is more segregated then the south as far as the make up of different neighborhoods being based on ethnicity. Also at least we don't chant racist slogans at sporting events as Europeans are known for at soccer matches so who really is more racist?

It's funny the view some people have of the south when I work with Indians, Black Africans, and Eastern Europeans. I mean this area has lots of high tech companies but apparently we're just stupid racist rednecks to some ignorant people.
    Same with you. If you can't post in a thread about a documented political strategy without taking it as a personal slight then don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Of course it works, Reagan had the first meme; welfare queens, who do you think that was alluding to, whites? LOL
    Nah, "meme" is the first meme.

OT: Yes, the Southern Strategy is still in full force. But now it goes far deeper than just appealing to racism against black americans.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Stereotypes certainly run true for some areas... like the south and racism. I didn't enjoy the south much.

Interesting thing about racism, people in America have a 1st amendment right to be racist if they so choose. Not that I agree with it, simply stating that it is not and can never be illegal to be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by You can call me V View Post
    Interesting thing about racism, people in America have a 1st amendment right to be racist if they so choose. Not that I agree with it, simply stating that it is not and can never be illegal to be racist.
    Incorrect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... no
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    Yeah... no
    I like how we both did exactly 10 characters, in very different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Incorrect.
    As long as you are not harming or threatening anyone, you have a right to say whatever the hell you please. It is and always will be legal to be racist in America. I'm not saying I agree with racism here, just saying people have a 1st amendment right to say what they want.

The southern strategy of today is expanded to a more diverse set of beliefs. GOP candidates have been more than happy to adamantly express their reactionary opposition to gay rights, women's rights, immigration problems (mexicans), and the secular nature of this country.

As long as you are not harming or threatening anyone, you have a right to say whatever the hell you please. It is and always will be legal to be racist in America. I'm not saying I agree with racism here, just saying people have a 1st amendment right to say what they want.
    Your statement said "...can never be illegal to be racist."

That's straight out false.