Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Everything that makes your character your character is stored on the Realm servers. Everything that makes your account your account is stored on a central system separate from both the log on servers and the realm servers.

The pets you own and those stuff belongs to your account, therefore they are stored on the same server that holds your account information. The realm server pulls information from the account server when generating which item exists.

Here is the tricky thing: Each server contains a physical instance of each item that was generated on that server. It is how they check for duplicates and the such. If gear is generated on a separate server then passed to your realm server, where do you check for injections? On the account server? Well during the "gap" between servers talking to each other it is possible to inject additional code that gives you a free item. Should we do it on the realm server then? The same problem happens. Maybe we can authenticate both? Authenticating one checks the other automatically so that does not matter.

Pets added to your account, mounts owned and account unlockables are stored on your user account as opposed to your realm account. This means when your realm account requests X item to be spawned, it can easily spawn that item. However when it comes to gear it is generated on that server and remains on that server. What this means is X sword of badassery is generated by the server and kept on the server. The account server does not care if you own X sword, but the other server does.

In simple terms: More then likely it is for security reasons. There are better ways to do it now but yeah that is my take on it.

An important thing to note is: Mounts, Pets, etc.... are not items. There is an item that allows you to unlock it for your account, but they are all spells, not physical items such as weapons and armor.

Heirloom weapons are actually actual items, not spells. Therefore it cannot be added to your account on the account servers because items only exist on the realm servers.
    Last edited by Ralgarog; 2013-07-17 at 09:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Hmm their writing style reads as male to me.

Now you've got me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by balir View Post
    THe moment you received your store bought items in your mailbox on all toons, was the moment Blizzard ran out of excuses as far as I'm concerned.
    Agree. I'm not sure why people are even bothering trying to defend Blizzard after this. For items that are supposedly BoA, duplicates shouldn't even be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    As stated before, it's been data mined that the system is there, question is more if it works. Currently it's a mail system.
    Doesnt mean that the current functionality of the mail system for cross realms is something Blizzard likes from a design of end user perspective or at least what Blizzard views as a Blizzard solution. The naming tag system for dealing with users from different realms was considered ugly and unsatisfactory by the developers for realm mergers, but with time Blizzard ended up give us just that with how names will be handled for Virtual Realms. The tabard system has been set back because the developers just dont like how it looks and works despite a keyring being sufficient for the job.

The developers like to put their twist to things and this often means that instead of trying to help alleviate the problems Blizzard will instead spend years before a system gets introduced if at all. This isnt always a bad thing and at times the developers have ended up introducing something which they kind of regret as other factors have changed like duel spec for example. There are some things though that are steps that can be improved upon into a new final system like handling tabards.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2013-07-17 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by balir View Post
    THe moment you received your store bought items in your mailbox on all toons, was the moment Blizzard ran out of excuses as far as I'm concerned.
    The difference is you don't buy Heirlooms in the store. That may not make a difference to you, but that certainly affects how things are done in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I don't even need to care about how many looms you have, nor on what servers. (if we were to compare, I have 7 servers with all looms on).

And no, there's no propaganda, don't worry. You can keep your tin foil hat on. But really, you can't manage heirlooms like the mounts after how you want it. There's possibilities as a previous poster said in having an extraction idea. But having the item just for free use no matter how many times you use it, would in my head, no be an option. You start with what you have 2 chests, 3 weapons trinkets or what you may have as the avarage player. When your list reaches 0 items, you need to return them before you can take them for other characters.

The game would be too lazy if you just had to pay 2275 JP and then you have the heirloom where ever you want and free use, that's too automated. I know it's been a request, and Blizzard has said every year that they have been working on different ideas. - and the latest datamine seems to be an idea that is a bit more successful than the others, seeing as it's made to be part of PTR coding.

And, I don't really defend Blizzard as much as you think. I more defend the playstyle. If it stood to me, the game should be harder than it currently is. It is already too easy as it is, would be easier if you only had to unlock to use the heirlooms - manage your heirlooms, keep control of them and send them to the different characters that need them. (Be it with mailbox or the extraction idea, really).

But, I don't wish for people to just think that they have it at unlimited amounts just because they unlocked it. That's how the mount system works. And the pet system as it was used in a previous example, where you extract the heirloom from the list (aka. cage the pet) is a better idea then, as you still have a maximum of items.

But for now, 5.4. seems to bring future crossrealm mailsystem - so lets hope they make it work.
    7 servers with all looms.....i am talking about all looms in existence on 3 servers with the best enchants possible, i guess you mean just for 1-2 classes, if you really have them all on 7 servers you should get your own achievement.

To be completely honest, i prefere them to be gone, they spoil the level expierence anyways and are very unbalanced in low bgs.(in some brackets at least, later the unbalance comes from cata/mop greens)

to delete them would be another solution i like, but probably this won't happen as too many people invested too much time in them to get them by now.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2013-07-18 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drii View Post
    That's all fine and dandy, I only have one question:
    "Why are they called bind on account?" (and not bind on server)

I'm serious, not trying to be snarky.

It seems to me the intent is exactly to have use of them on your account.
    (meaning any of the 50 characters you can create on your account if eligible for that armor class) after unlocking once.
    Because however they're bound, they still otherwise follow all the normal rules of items, which includes being limited to the server and faction in which they were obtained. "Bound on X" limits who you can give them to; it shouldn't be inferred to expand who you can give it to beyond what you could do with an unbound item.

Non-binding items can be given to any player of your faction on your server at any time.
    Bind-on-Equip items can be given to any player of your faction on your server at any time until you equip them, at which point you cannot give them to anybody.
    Bind-on-Pickup items cannot be given to anybody.
    Bind-to-Account items can be given to any character on your account of your faction on your server at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Because however they're bound, they still otherwise follow all the normal rules of items, which includes being limited to the server and faction in which they were obtained.
    Heirlooms can be traded cross-faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Heirlooms can be traded cross-faction.
    They can now, but it certainly wasn't that way when they first came out.

To my knowledge, they have been cross-faction since 2009.

In any case, I don't see the big technological hurdle regarding cross-server heirlooms, but they never should have been labeled BoA in the first place if their intended function wasn't BoA. Perhaps bind to server + account or something similar.
    Last edited by Celista; 2013-07-18 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    7 servers with all looms.....i am talking about all looms in existence on 3 servers with the best enchants possible, i guess you mean just for 1-2 classes, if you really have them all on 7 servers you should get your own achievement.

To be completely honest, i prefere them to be gone, they spoil the level expierence anyways and are very unbalanced in low bgs.(in some brackets at least, later the unbalance comes from cata/mop greens)

to delete them would be another solution i like, but probably this won't happen as too many people invested too much time in them to get them by now.
    Actually, no. I ment what I said. I have 7 servers with all looms you can get, all upgraded and enchanted as well. I bought them because I have too much JP generation ever since they were released. On the first day they were released, I bought every single piece on one server, even doubles of some.

But really, I can live without them. They are still just there as an easy step, but in the end, 85 to 90 can be done with casual speed in 1-2 days. 80 tp 85 can be done with casual speed 1-2 days. (My record is levelling 3 paladins from lvl 1 to 80 in 24 hours total of played time (without looms)).

I do understand your achievement idea, but just don't find it right. I still think it's important that the project lies with the equipment you already have, and you use what you have - be it 1,2,3 or 4 pieces of heirlooms, or more. That's your number of heirlooms you have. Dislike the view of, "Oh, I bought one for cheap points, now I have it on all servers as I wish. If that was to work that way, then I am the bastard to say that one major heirloom (chest, shoulder, leggings, helmet - 10%) shoulder cost about, 4000 JP, 4000 HP and 4000 gold - sounds about right for me. I'm not trying to seperate people from heirlooms, but if it went with the unlock mechanic - then it would most likely become more expensive. And if it went with the unlock mechanic, you still wouldn't benefit from you enchants since they would need to be put on the weapons everytime you pull out a set on a server.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    To my knowledge, they have been cross-faction since 2009.

In any case, I don't see the big technological hurdle regarding cross-server heirlooms, but they never should have been labeled BoA in the first place if their intended function wasn't BoA. Perhaps bind to server + account or something similar.
    Back then, BoA was normal to - "Bound to Account", as in that you can take them where you wish. Just move a character and they would follow. If they were "Bound to Server", that wouldn't make much sense as they would technically be stuck on the original server you bought them on. And really, no one complained about BoA being what it is till now. We all knew what it ment, it ment that we could send them around the server as we wished - and move them with us as we leave. That is what "Bound to Account" is. The name wasn't pointed towards you being able to send them to any server you wanted, as that idea back then was still only on paper.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed not, the cross-faction heirloom transfer was made in 3.3 (2009-12-08), and they were created in 3.0.3 (2008-11-04)

((Maybe not completely sure about the dates, but I think it's those))
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!