Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think the eventual new character models are what still keeps me playing. If they were introduced as a cash shop only feature I think it would make me stop playing the game for good after 7 years. I can justify the monthly fee because I find the time spent ingame worth the 15euros a month. However, having to pay for a fee on top of that to enjoy the character I'm playing (with the new models around I would imagine the old ones would look preety awful ) is a kind of expence I cannot justify, especialy now that money is realy short for me. I find it a little upsetting that I cannot own the mounts or pets in the blizz store, but I can play without them. Dont think I count still play the old models with the new around.
    Just my opinion, tho.

How is updated character models supposed to make up for overcommercialization of the game?

Cash shop is a pos and Blizzard can never unmake this assault on the spirit of gaming and RPG.

I find it funny how so many people argue that Blizz would never put character models on the cash shop, where the same people are calling out people saying that there is no proof Blizz will add P2W type things on the cash shop. Like you guys have said, there's no way you can know they wont add the models to the cash shop. The basic assumption is that this shop is here to stay and it's going to get more and more items on there. What the items are, no one knows, are they all going to be irrelevant cosmetic stuff, I doubt it.

People argue why is it a big deal? Because this is how stupid practices start and every other company jumps on it and we'll see it everywhere. Day one DLC is another example of something like this, now it's common practice which is because people excepted it. The more you guys except BS practices and are openly happy to let yourselves be charged more for stuff is when this becomes common practice. Yeah they're a business, they're aim is to make money, as a consumer our aim is to get stuff for the best deal possible. When you shop for anything else in the world you actively look for a good deal with good service, not purposely look to get screwed by a business.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not currently subscribed to WoW but I am planning on returning at some point...that said, however, if Blizzard did release character model updates and charged for them via the cash shop, well, that would be it for me. People are saying that character model updates are purely a cosmetic thing, a vanity thing...they are not....it is a matter of updating quality. Yes, there is a cosmetic aspect to it because it's character design but on the other hand, the models we have now clip through armour, hell, some of them clip through their own bodies, they have limited animation and expressions and their textures are bland and stretched when moving but then, you're already paying a subscription for content updates and this is very much a content update, it's cosmetic in the same way that green fire for warlocks is cosmetic, or the shadowform updated look was cosmetic, or whatever other spell example you care to think of is cosmetic...if they charged for it via the cash shop it is purely exploitative. Would new players stick at the game if they found out they had to shell out yet more money for the models that look like they actually belong in a game they bought in 2013? Would they get them for free, but old players would still have to buy the update through the cash shop? No, there is absolutely no way that putting the model updates on the cash shop can be justified. Short term it might make them some money, but that would be offset by a massive loss of subs overall. If they put the character models in as part of the sub, they'll keep it level, hell, would probably even pull some back.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperpally View Post
    there was a really good post I saw earlier this week explaining this phenomenon. basically people come to identify so strongly with a corporate brand that they take any criticism of it as a personal attack, therefore they defend the company/brand like their self esteem depends on it. I think it pretty accurately described a lot of posters here, where an impartial or rational view isn't really accepted, instead it seems to be about taking sides and defending your identity.
    Or maybe they defend the way the game is right now because they LIKE the way the game is right now and if Blizzard were to listen to the complainers it would make the game shitter rather than better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperpally View Post
    there was a really good post I saw earlier this week explaining this phenomenon. basically people come to identify so strongly with a corporate brand that they take any criticism of it as a personal attack, therefore they defend the company/brand like their self esteem depends on it. I think it pretty accurately described a lot of posters here, where an impartial or rational view isn't really accepted, instead it seems to be about taking sides and defending your identity.

the rational person would probably say, like you said, "I'm not going to defend blizzard's self interest at my own expense" but that's exactly what you see, because its not about blizzard taking advantage of them, or ruining their own game for profit, its about defending the blizzard name as if it were your mother or something
    The other phenomenon that could be taking place along side the mutual identity between them and Blizzard is a slow realization that the last decade or so of their lives have been spent supporting a company that is now a shadow of it's former self. Accepting that Blizzard's current business practices are completely vile would mean admitting the greater part of the last decade supporting them and building their online WoW identity have all been in vain.

At this stage in their "career" with WoW and Blizzard it has become a matter of going down with the ship, regardless of how badly the ship is being blasted to smithereens by its own crew. To admit these double dipping, money grubbing, greedy tactics Blizzard has adopted are a slap in the face would mean they have simply been wasting their time for all these years.

There is no going back for them or rationally assessing their role as consumer. For all intents and purposes they must pretend to agree with what Blizzard is doing, even if they secretly feel ashamed for doing so. Going back to your quote, they are actually taking the attacks personally. They are acting as if they are actually the business and stock advisors guiding Blizzard on these decisions so that it alleviates the guilt from their beloved company. They would rather sacrifice their own integrity so as to soften the blow to Blizzard.

It's really fascinating behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    And then Blizzard wonders why everyone left the game except cashers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Character models are 100% cosmetic just like the helms. You don't gain stats and it doesn't make the game any easier or harder.

It's actually the PERFECT item to sell in the cash shop because more then half the player base would purchase it.

How? You're not buying anything that gives you an advantage in-game in any way at all. It's purely cosmetic just like the helms. You have people posting how 6-7 people in their EU guilds have bought helms already. If it was updated models it would be 4 x's as that. That's alot of extra money that Blizz would be stupid to pass up.
    Because I don't want to pay more money for something that should automatically included in the $15 I already pay.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

By the time that happens, hopefully TESO or Wildstar will be viable alternatives to WoW. I'd cancel on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Because I don't want to pay more money for something that should automatically included in the $15 I already pay.
    This topic is not directed at you, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Or maybe they defend the way the game is right now because they LIKE the way the game is right now and if Blizzard were to listen to the complainers it would make the game shitter rather than better.
    Both consumer and business can't ever be content with their standings. Blizzard is closing in on the margin of what they can get away with charging. Likewise the consumer should be pushing the business to what the consumer wants.

Ultimately a business would prefer to recieve money from consumers with minimum effort.
    And the consumer would prefer to recieve the product or service with minimum payment.

We're seeing an opposite mentallity from WoW subscribers here who preach about how fair and just Blizzard is behaving.
    You should never be thinking "this is fair" but more "what else can I get out of them?"
    It works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    Both consumer and business can't ever be content with their standings. Blizzard is closing in on the margin of what they can get away with charging. Likewise the consumer should be pushing the business to what the consumer wants.

Ultimately a business would prefer to recieve money from consumers with minimum effort.
    And the consumer would prefer to recieve the product or service with minimum payment.

We're seeing an opposite mentallity from WoW subscribers here who preach about how fair and just Blizzard is behaving.
    You should never be thinking "this is fair" but more "what else can I get out of them?"
    It works both ways.

The whole move to casualization was to cultivate the kind of player that would spend money in a cash shop. Its funny how when it actually happens people are surprised. Blizzard stopped trying to make a good game about half way through lich king and has since been just trying to find ways to make more money off their IP. People were all in favor of it when it meant easy heroics, LFR, and free epics, but somehow new player models for cash crosses the line? Its funny how people wholly digested the propaganda about all these cash grab moves being good for the game, when they had been lead to believe it was in their favor, and have defended them as such for years, but now the end game becomes apparent.

A wide audience with not a lot of time, obsessed with accessibility = cash shop revenue in the making

just think of all the resources your cash for models will create, and the resulting content! no way its just going into someone's pocket with no return in regards to game development

which is exactly why the LFR making raiding possible is so disingenuous, people pretend since GC said LFR means they can develop raids better, that its true. Pretty sure the best raids were developed before LFR and any subscriber money LFR brought in just went into someone's bank account. They don't realize that its GC's job to sell them things, and they've just internalized his form of marketing
    Last edited by Sniperpally; 2013-07-19 at 05:47 AM.

This would actually be a horrible thing to do.

It might not be an advantage, but it can't be compared to the transmogables or mounts/pets either. If you don't want to spend money on the helmets, then you still have a big variety of other head pieces that look good - same with mounts and pets. But with the caracter model you'll have the choice of either pay money and get a model with fixed graphics, or not being able (or willing) to do so and be stuck with a character that looks like it was made out of taped-together shoeboxes. And playing a race that you dislike, but has a better looking model, doesn't sound like an option many people would take.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    By the time that happens, hopefully TESO or Wildstar will be viable alternatives to WoW. I'd cancel on the spot.
    We're running out of graves to bury WoWkillers in.

If the OP actually spent time in game he would notice that updated character models already exists and the newer playable races such as the pandaren and goblins are already 'updated' high poly models. This isn't something Blizzard charges extra for, they have been updating the game's visual aesthetics over several years now, including character models. Evolving a game aesthetics does not equal a vanity pet or a helm. Besides, why so eager to hand over more money for nothing, they are already shamelessly double dipping with their cash shop.
    Last edited by Milmo; 2013-07-19 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post

It works both ways.
    Don't you think Blizzard also asks what is fair? They could quite easily get away with charging more than they do.

I do understand what you mean. But the equilibrium of price between buyer and seller is more complex than that. I mean if someone came on the forums saying that Blizzard should charge $14 a month instead of $15... I'd say what difference does $1 make? I consider WoW to be more than reasonably priced as it is and don't have a strong interest in making it cheaper. The central point is, both parties try to arrive at what they consider a fair price.

New character models means new animations as well and they are not gonna keep updating animations for different versions of the same type of character model. So, it would not only be a clash of aesthetics, which Blizzard wouldn't allow, but it would be bad business sense as well.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they would do that.

Some of the current character models are just atrocious by today's standards and deserve to be upgraded. I'd rather it just be free and a choice on what you would rather look like.

Right now we have some awful animations that don't work with new abilities (or just look weird) and a lot gear that clips or looks awful on certain races because how they were originally built.

I'm only one person but I don't think they would put updated character models in the cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Milmo View Post
    New character models means new animations as well and they are not gonna keep updating animations for different versions of the same type of character model. So, it would not only be a clash of aesthetics, which Blizzard wouldn't allow, but it would be bad business sense as well.
    They've already said they're looking into allowing folks to opt for old models if they wish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    They've already said they're looking into allowing folks to opt for old models if they wish.
    Which hopefully, only that particular user will see and not me. I want balls to the wall better visuals and not sub 1999 polygon models anymore.