Why people are afraid of the cash shop, even a cosmetic one

The danger is that the gear and other goodies put into the cash shop will always be made far superior to what's available in the game through regular play.

If you're Blizzard and you come up with a bunch of awesome looking gear or mounts or pets, why "waste" them on regular subscribers when you can put them in the cash shop and maximize revenue.

When you play a F2P game, this sort of model makes sense. Those who never pay anything are treated like second hand citizens. However for a subscription based game you really don't want your subscribers to feel like second class citizens.

Basically, the regular subscribers could begin getting the shaft because Blizzard chooses to gate all the good stuff behind microtransactions.

Yes, because the current set of mounts look so much better than the ones you can get in game normally, I always see people riding the star pony, and clearly the amount of threads on how bad the new helms are look wise and effect wise with things like shadowform and the likes are all fake. It's the end of WoW as we know it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's technically a logical fallacy (the Slippery Slope argument). Though I'm entirely guilty of it, agree, and absolutely despise the cash store. Fuck you, Blizzard. Fuck you hard.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

It's mostly just because ERMAGERDD GREEDY CAPITALIST SWINE HOW DARE THEY CHARGE MONEY FOR GOODS AND SERVICES!

I mean okay, there's a legitimate concern should Blizzard ever start putting say, gear on the cash shop. But that hardly seems likely. A lot of gamers just start QQing at the vaguest whiff of a cash shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's mostly just because ERMAGERDD GREEDY CAPITALIST SWINE HOW DARE THEY CHARGE MONEY FOR GOODS AND SERVICES!

I mean okay, there's a legitimate concern should Blizzard ever start putting say, gear on the cash shop. But that hardly seems likely. A lot of gamers just start QQing at the vaguest whiff of a cash shop.
    And you like cash shops becaaaaause?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most active cash shop discussion thread can be found here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...eed-to-realize

Please post there instead of creating new threads. Thank you.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."