Heroic Lei Shen from an elemental standpoint.

Alrighty. My guild started to progress on Heroic Lei Shen last week. And will be again this week, maybe even extending the lockout for a full week of progression.

My question goes out to those eles who have downed this bad boy. Any tips to suggest? For me as an elemental, and just in general, I suppose, for the fight. We made it past first intermission on several occasions.

One question I know for sure that I have at the moment has to deal with Grounding Totem and Diffusion Chain. One of our raiders heard it would nullify the ability, but indeed, it doesn't. It usually hits the totem, but an add still spawns most of the time. Would glyphing it change anything? It doesn't seem to do anything other than maybe nullify some damage.

And what are favorable talents? And, by talents, I really mean between EB and PE. Have my 4 set, LMG, etc. Heavy haste build. I'm a fan of EB, myself, because I hate feeling like I have nothing that's incredibly hard hitting other than Ascendance and my Primal Fire Elemental. I would imagine PE would come out a bit on top just because during intermissions there's a lot of time where there are no EBs going out. And the elemental is excellent with AoE, if I'm not mistaken? I don't play with PE too much.

Any info would help! Thanks in advance.

PE is definitely the way to go imo, especially for starting out. There is a lot of movement in this fight, which will hinder EB. You also gain the damage reduction from the Earth Elemental for transitions as a bonus if you go PE. Phase 3 you wont get off many EBs at all unless you get really really lucky with favorable winds often. Otherwise its going to be running against the wind while running out, and aoe'ing while you are stacked on Lei Shen waiting for lightning whip.

PE also gives you good burst for phase 3. Im sure there are some people that use EB on this fight, and there are a few discussion threads here on MMO about which to use on Lei Shen and PE generally wins that topic.

Not sure about the grounding totem and diffusion. I have heard about people using this, but never tried it myself. If its not working now it may have been hotfixed along with the smokebomb hotfix last week, where you could use smokebomb to completely negate the bouncing bolts mechanic.

Usually diffusion adds are not tauntable and have no regular aggro table. The grounding totem allows the spawned add to be picked up by a tank.

PE is the way to go. Use it unglyphed at the beginning of phases 1 and 3. Use your earth ele with the channeled 20% damage reduction for intermisson 1 and after your fire ele is down in phase 3.

PE is better for sure.

Primal Earth Ele for both P1 intermission and late P3 are excellent. Primal Fire Ele for the P3 burst.

Astral Shift is better than SBT if you're not already there because of the static shock damage.

And 100% agree with extending the lockout. You are probably about 10 ilevels above what Lei Shen is actually tuned for, and gear isn't what's going to be holding you back. Just need to put in the attempts and get everyone on the same page.

You can also get the same result with the diffusion from a warrior using mass spell reflect. The add will then spawn on the boss and usually aggro to the tank

Quote Originally Posted by Pharm View Post
    You can also get the same result with the diffusion from a warrior using mass spell reflect. The add will then spawn on the boss and usually aggro to the tank
    Actually, no adds spawn if Mass Spell Reflect is used.

My guild just started prog on Lei Shen Heroic and since we start at Diffusion platform, the first Diffusion happens after like 10 sec we pull, our warrior sits at the Thunderstruck group until it happens and reflects it and goes to boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Actually, no adds spawn if Mass Spell Reflect is used.

My guild just started prog on Lei Shen Heroic and since we start at Diffusion platform, the first Diffusion happens after like 10 sec we pull, our warrior sits at the Thunderstruck group until it happens and reflects it and goes to boss.
    One add definitely spawns, but yeah, mass spell reflect certainly makes it easy. Basically Lei Shen ends up targeting himself and the add spawns off of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    One add definitely spawns, but yeah, mass spell reflect certainly makes it easy. Basically Lei Shen ends up targeting himself and the add spawns off of him.
    Hmm, never really seen it spawn. Or melee cleave it so fast?
    Last edited by Tehterokkar; 2013-07-19 at 03:30 AM.

Deleted
    If you get static shock on you during the transitions and use AG the damage you deal to others will count as normal
    Damage dealt from you so you instantly top everyone up pretty much, can be a neat trick. The static shock has to be on you however. Elemental is pretty decent on the fight and awesome at killing the balls ofcourse. Make sure you ghostwolf and start running towards the middle after the overcharges in transitions so you don't get blown off by helmet.

Goodluck on the kill!

Quote Originally Posted by Telefonorm View Post
    If you get static shock on you during the transitions and use AG the damage you deal to others will count as normal
    Damage dealt from you so you instantly top everyone up pretty much, can be a neat trick. The static shock has to be on you however. Elemental is pretty decent on the fight and awesome at killing the balls ofcourse. Make sure you ghostwolf and start running towards the middle after the overcharges in transitions so you don't get blown off by helmet.

Goodluck on the kill!
    OMG that is insane !

People's feedback about using Earth Elemental's channel for transition 1 is very useful, that's the hardest one to survive as you often have 1 less person around to soak things (compared to transition 2) and a lot of damage can go out and make it hard for your quadrant to survive the 2nd static shock even with mitigations/raid-cds. Shock 1 is usually not a problem as you're around 100% health, but the 2nd shock in a transition is when things get rough.

Offheal as much as you can in transitions obviously, often a good time to start healing stream is when the 1st balls are about to hit. And non-ele specific advice is that a potion of swiftness is better than dying to helm, keep some around on a hotkey. The older (swiftness potion) run potions are faster for almost all classes as that 50% multiplies with other things you have like.. ghostwolf (? I think I tested this.. either way swiftness was better from what I remember in testing). Whereas the darkwater potion is a flat 170% that cannot be modified, and ghostwolf cancels it.

So you might want more details/tips on using grounding totem so here's what little I can tell you.

It does seem to have just a 30yard range on its ability to pickup the chain. I seem to get 2 adds sometimes if it hits someone else then chains to the totem (even a person that was definitely in my group at the time... so it seems to act inconsistently at times). If diffusion chain hits the other group it should chain around as normal until it comes for your group then get sucked up by the totem.

Despite its limits it has 2 main uses to me
    #1: it avoids 200k+ damage (you can (unglyphed) use it for both diffusion chains in transition, just have it down early so it's up for the next in time.)
    #2: it helps avoid group derp -- put it down and project it about 10-15yards away from the group and it can help avoid some accidents by diverting the chain, or at least minimize adds. EG the 3rd Thunderstruck in the final phase coincides with diffusion chain - it's an easy time for people to mess up since everyone tends to run in and clump for thunderstrucks (depending on your strategy). By throwing your totem to the side of the group you can often help prevent some major issues there.
    Last edited by Justusy; 2013-07-19 at 08:21 PM.

Grounding Totem only affects those in your party, so someone in your party needs to be the target of Diffusion Chain in order for Grounding Totem to work. This has at least been my experience, if others have seen something different please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Telefonorm View Post

Goodluck on the kill!
    That is awesome. Never knew about that. Will definitely try that out next time.

On our first kill (well my first kill as elemental) I ran with PE. Just like others said the damage reduction from the earth ele is nice and fire ele provides good P3 burst. I just stick to EB now, especially since our P3 strat involves the tanks/melee moving away to the other side of the platform and having range stay still and then moving once thunderstruck is out so we are not consistently fighting against the wind.

For grounding totem, its nice because if the totem is target for diffusion chain, I dont believe it can chain to anyone else. Since I'm usually standing next to the totem it will not spawn a 2nd add. It will of course always spawn 1.

But in terms of transitions, ghost wolf will be your friend if you get helm of command. Dont forget to call for priest grips if you need it. Also help your healers and offheal when soaking bolts and static shock, it will help them out. With PE I always wondered if we could solo soak a static shock by reaching 90% damage reduction with Earth Ele's Reinforce (20%), SR (30%) and Astral Shift (40%). Usually all of them have been on CD and never had a chance to try it

GL with your attempts as well. Hope your patient

Quote Originally Posted by Dorac View Post
    With PE I always wondered if we could solo soak a static shock by reaching 90% damage reduction with Earth Ele's Reinforce (20%), SR (30%) and Astral Shift (40%). Usually all of them have been on CD and never had a chance to try it
    Its not 90%, its 66,4%. Its not additive, its multipl. x 0,8(20%reduce) x 0,7(30%) x 0,6(40%)= 0,336 ( = 66,4% )

Grounding eases your Group to stand in melee range to spawn fewer ball lightnings, because they dont have to watch for positioning. usefull for diffusion lightning #2 and #3 in p3. only works with glyph. So make sure the caster (melees cant be the target of diffusion lightning) that are supposed to stand in melee range, are in your group. And make sure, they know when your grounding is rdy and when not.

Totally forgot about this thread. We ended up not resetting the lockout, just to try to grab a few extra pieces of gear for some people, as we have the rest of the instance on farm, just about, and while the fight may be tuned for lower gear levels than we have, doesn't hurt to make it easier. A shorter Phase 3 is a better Phase 3, right? Heh. Heroic Animus is always a pain. But we're going in tonight starting on Animus, and should get to Lei Shen and have time for attempts, as well as the entire raid night tomorrow as well.

All of this information was EXTREMELY helpful! Especially the bit about Static Shock and AG. A lot of this information will be going into consideration and I appreciate everyone's input. I'll keep anyone interested updated with when/if we get our kill! Just keep an eye on the thread. ;D

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Umira; 2013-07-21 at 05:40 PM.