Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
8
16
17
18
19
LastLast
  1. #341
    Legendary! Tizzlefix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    6,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not all observation is created equal. The problem with anecdotes is they do not meet the requirements for rigorous observation.

    Furthermore, yes; understanding the full depth and scale of a problem does require studying it for years.
    My argument to that was me being in high school for 4 years watching this. Really, if you want me to document all of my observations I sure as hell will. Here's the problem, you guys are avoiding the root of the problem and that is kids growing up not caring about their future. You can say whatever you want about not having the right funds but honestly, high school is fucking free which makes that entire point moot. Not to mention it's much easier to get a scholarship at a college if you're not from a good social background.

    The facts are right in front of you, look at them.

  2. #342
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    My argument to that was me being in high school for 4 years watching this. Really, if you want me to document all of my observations I sure as hell will. Here's the problem, you guys are avoiding the root of the problem and that is kids growing up not caring about their future. You can say whatever you want about not having the right funds but honestly, high school is fucking free which makes that entire point moot. Not to mention it's much easier to get a scholarship at a college if you're not from a good social background.

    The facts are right in front of you, look at them.
    Four years. In a single school, in a single district, in a single state. It doesn't constitute statistically significant evidence.

    Furthermore, while education may be free for the students, the fact that the facilities and educators are so underfunded is what causes the root of many of the problems.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  3. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Four years. In a single school, in a single district, in a single state. It doesn't constitute statistically significant evidence.

    Furthermore, while education may be free for the students, the fact that the facilities and educators are so underfunded is what causes the root of many of the problems.
    Ssshhh. He's in high school. He knows all the solutions to all the problems. We don't need studies or science.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

  4. #344
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcrin View Post
    Problem poor***?

    I don't believe it at all. just get off your arse and stop working at mc donalds and try to become something instead. the road to succes is fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail succes.

    and stop wanting it instant like winning in lotto.

    no offense meant.
    no for most it is fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail DIE.

  5. #345
    Pit Lord SourceOfInfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In an expensive beach front condo I don't deserve.
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Yes they should. But we can't because they are all a part of the same power structure. If you rob a bank you can get 10 years. If you launder billions of dollars for Mexican drug cartels you get a paltry fine equivalent to 1-2 months company revenue and a letter.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    Her head is so far up her own asshole that I'm surprised she's not on the list of people she's fucked.

  6. #346
    The root of the problem is that to have Wealth one must have Poor and the fastest way to get cash is to take it form people that can not fight back.

  7. #347
    Legendary! Tizzlefix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    6,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Four years. In a single school, in a single district, in a single state. It doesn't constitute statistically significant evidence.

    Furthermore, while education may be free for the students, the fact that the facilities and educators are so underfunded is what causes the root of many of the problems.
    My school was heavily underfunded.

    It's not the schools as much as it is the kids themselves.

  8. #348
    Quote Originally Posted by Melonemelo View Post
    relevant:

    lol its 2013 and he is force to use statistic from 1975 to 1997 to show his thesis that is 16 year old data.

  9. #349
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    lol its 2013 and he is force to use statistic from 1975 to 1997 to show his thesis that is 16 year old data.
    That is probably due to the fact that he wanted to display the development that happens within a span of one generation.
    It does not diminish anything he said.

  10. #350
    The Lightbringer JfmC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Antwerp City
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    I'm impressed
    Thread:Will we ever create A.I?
    So I just watched Her and it gave me a deep thought. Will man ever create an artificial consciousness or is it impossible. Anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    We are currently creating "A.S" - artificial stupidity. A.K.A internet forums

  11. #351
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    My school was heavily underfunded.

    It's not the schools as much as it is the kids themselves.
    And you base this opinion on, what?

    Oh yeah, anecdotal evidence. So, no. I'm not going to take your experience as a basis for my recommendation for social policy.

    What the kids themselves do is actually rather irrelevant in the scheme of things; primarily because it is public education that teaches a certain set of cultural values. By cracking down on which values are being taught or permissible, the outcome can be influenced.

    Do you think it's coincidence that nationalism became especially prevalent shortly after the introduction of general public education in European countries?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    lol its 2013 and he is force to use statistic from 1975 to 1997 to show his thesis that is 16 year old data.
    Yes, but given that historically social mobility becomes vastly lower during periods of economic downturn it's a reasonable assumption that things have not, in fact, improved.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  12. #352
    Didactic: I feel he is dishonest, very simplified 1973 was the oil crisis and economic downturn, he start 1975 then the economic did start to recovery and grow, he end it 1997, and 1998 have the economy reach its peek. In my opinion he did cheery pick the best 22 years.

  13. #353
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    337
    I don't think he is dishonest. There have been at least 2 recessions in the US during that period. So it's not really cherry picking.

  14. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude but I have poor friends who in essence, "made it" because they saw opportunity and took it.

    Fuck I have one right now (a senior currently) who lives in one of the poorer parts of town who's in AP classes and the high school covers his AP tests (the fee). He saw the opportunity and took it like the smart kid he is. Here's the best part, he also learned who to make friends with, smart kid really, he knows the rich kids and uses that as leverage for himself.

    Please, just walk through your typical high school hallway and tell me you can't pick out the people who don't care, it's really easy trust me.
    I know a friend like that too. I high school he was among the top of his class in all but the phys ed, he went to college and all, now he works at Walmart and has for over a decade cause he couldn't find work in his major but he can sure help you when you are trying to ask questions about electronics.

    I know a girl who did the same thing, last I checked, she works at the college since she couldn't find work outside of it.

    There is a big difference between the life you lived and the life the vast majority of others live in. There is a reason why the statistics of the group are much more relevant to the these discussions than a single persons evidence. I understand you disagree as your life has seen some of the exceptions, but just like when I see it in my life, they are the exceptions, not the rule.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    My argument to that was me being in high school for 4 years watching this. Really, if you want me to document all of my observations I sure as hell will. Here's the problem, you guys are avoiding the root of the problem and that is kids growing up not caring about their future. You can say whatever you want about not having the right funds but honestly, high school is fucking free which makes that entire point moot. Not to mention it's much easier to get a scholarship at a college if you're not from a good social background.

    The facts are right in front of you, look at them.
    Most of us HAVE, you haven't. You are still in school and have yet to see the real world, many of us are in ours 20s, 30s, 40s, and even 50s, we have seen it upclose and personal and it isn't as rosey as you wish it was. Trust me, I WISH it was as good as you say, you would see many more successes but it isn't which is why things are so much crap as now the rules are setup to be rigged against most unless they are already in the "in" crowd.

  15. #355
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,837
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

  16. #356
    Most of us HAVE, you haven't. You are still in school and have yet to see the real world, many of us are in ours 20s, 30s, 40s, and even 50s, we have seen it upclose and personal and it isn't as rosey as you wish it was. Trust me, I WISH it was as good as you say, you would see many more successes but it isn't which is why things are so much crap as now the rules are setup to be rigged against most unless they are already in the "in" crowd.
    The best advice I could offer a high school student is to get as much real world experience as you possibly can. Skip college (unless you get a full ride somewhere, you don't want to have any student loan debt coming out of college, period) and take only the classes that are relevant to what you want to do as a job. Focus on trying to apply that knowledge to starting your own business, and don't depend on just going to work for someone else once you get out of school.

    Do internships as well, they are amazingly great at giving you some of that first hand experience.

    The last thing you want to do is enroll in school just for the sake of 'getting an education' and racking up a huge amount of debt without being 100% positive you will have work waiting for you when you are done.

    College isn't a rite of passage any more than it's a tool to secure your future. At the end of the day, you still have to find someone willing to give you an opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  17. #357
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    They aren't drugs man. They're self-discipline.
    Where can i get that prescribed?

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    ...most of the rich people have worked hard and earned their money. If you work/study enough you can change your lifestyle. That is my opinion.
    The first and second sentence are completely unrelated. Sure, rich people work hard, so do police officers, soldiers, single parents, construction workers, and a thousand other people working jobs that require more hours in more difficult/hazardous conditions than any CEO has ever experienced. Difficulty of work is not indicative of income earned. There are millions of people who have worked and studied extremely hard and are not rich, there is no disputing this, so your opinion is simply wrong.

    Which brings us to this;
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    That's the big thing people don't realize sadly, they just see a rich guy and get jealous... It's just that they believe they deserve something they haven't worked for, typical human behavior, it's the smart ones that realize in the US anyone can "make it" with the right amount of effort.
    It's not about jealousy. You are intentionally conflating ANYONE with EVERYONE. Sure, individually, "anyone" can make it, just like "anyone" can win the lottery. But it is an undeniable fact that EVERYONE can not make it. We live in an economy of scarce resources. Everyone can not be rich. For one person to be rich, many people must be poor.

    So yes, rich people work hard for their money, so do many many many poor people. We should be striving to make it so there is more equality between hard working people, instead of justifying radical wealth disparity with massively flawed logic.

  19. #359
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinzx View Post
    The first and second sentence are completely unrelated. Sure, rich people work hard, so do police officers, soldiers, single parents, construction workers, and a thousand other people working jobs that require more hours in more difficult/hazardous conditions than any CEO has ever experienced. Difficulty of work is not indicative of income earned. There are millions of people who have worked and studied extremely hard and are not rich, there is no disputing this, so your opinion is simply wrong.

    Which brings us to this;


    It's not about jealousy. You are intentionally conflating ANYONE with EVERYONE. Sure, individually, "anyone" can make it, just like "anyone" can win the lottery. But it is an undeniable fact that EVERYONE can not make it. We live in an economy of scarce resources. Everyone can not be rich. For one person to be rich, many people must be poor.

    So yes, rich people work hard for their money, so do many many many poor people. We should be striving to make it so there is more equality between hard working people, instead of justifying radical wealth disparity with massively flawed logic.
    Pretty much this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  20. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    State rather you believe this or not and why.
    I do believe it's true but my reasons are much more simplistic.


    Change the statement to - The fat stay fat and the skinny stay skinny.

    Same basic thing. We all know weight can go up or down based on shit tons of different variables but if you're going to start with a person being one thing, the most likely outcome is for them to continue to be that thing.

    Said another way -It's also much easier to stay skinny/rich than it is to become it since you're talking about the difference between mere maintenance and true transformative effort.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •