Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    black america says hi.

We are basically born slaves to work for the richman/polititian.
    its like a pyramid scheme.
    theres someone at the top and it goes down, we are basically at the bottom. the slaves what have you.
    which is why they want us to keep breeding, the more people are born the more slaves they get.

we are led to believe we are free.
    but in reality we are not, we need money to live and to get money you must work for them.

people say if you dont like it you can go in the jungle and live.
    no you cant. government owns everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    To quote a song:

"You know where it ends, yo, it usually depends on where you start" - Everlast (What it's Like)

Note the usually.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

The class you're born into will most likely be the class you die in. That's just reality.

I'm sure someone can point to a guy say "what about this guy". All I can say is good for that guy. Behind him are thousands that wont make the same wealth movement.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously believe, here in Australia, you can make something of yourself regardless of your background with a little bit of hard work and some common sense.

Its really not as bad as it used to be. I come from a very poor background (well i don't really have any family, so nobody to support me) half a decade ago someone like be wouldn't dream of having a decent education, but now with student loan programs and such i will be able to go to University and get a decent job. So its very possible for someone poor to get out of his situation, a lot better than before. Its really a matter of potential and motivation.

On the other hand, you need people from all trades for our capitalist society to work, you also can't reward every jobs the same otherwise nobody would take the higher end job or bother with school since its in human nature to take the path of least resistance so a lot of people can't, or don't really want to get in a better situation. A lot of people are in the end, happy having low responsability simple manual jobs and thats great, the important is to do something you like. On the other side, sometime its just flat laziness, not much you can do about it until the person itself decides to wake up. I got 2 perfect examples from my High School friends.

Friend 1 : An amaznig guy, extremely sociable and likable, would do about anything to help his friends, sadly, he always had a very hard time in school, just lacked the attention span for it and had other learning issues, his parents were also utter dirtbags, and he ended up getting kicked out before even finishing high school, so ended up working at Mcdonalds. He likes it and ended up getting promoted really fast and from what i heard he's really an asset to have around there, his salary is enough for him to do what he enjoys.

I think its the kind of person that is at its place in a lower end job, he's most likely going to end up as a manager anyway, wich isn't half bad in itself.

Friend 2 : Works at the same Mcdonalds nowadays, but the guy was brilliant, he always had amazing grades and had the potential to get a very good education, he was also an all around nice guy even if he had more issues socially than friend 1 and has much better parental support than me or Friend 1. Starts a psychology degree in college, drops everything when his first girl friend broke with him, moved with another chick back in our hometown and is working at the same place as Friend 1 and just seems completly too glued in it to do anything to improve it, wich is a shame. I tried to wake him up and he ended up being hostile and removing me from FB etc. Shrug.

Kind of example of how laziness can lead to poverty.

OP is half right though because, if you're rich, you have much easier time to get more money. As i read somewhere, money doesn't grow on trees, but it grows on money. Investing takes little efforts and if you're not completly dumb, it offer good returns, while poor people need to try really hard and/or be gifted with specific talents to get out of it.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2013-07-19 at 02:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    The number of success stories of rags to riches sound good, but they are few and far between. You can be successful in life coming from no money, but it is rare to ever become "rich". It is true that the rich often stay rich, and it is hard to elevate yourself with no money.

However, getting rich or even being successful isn't about being smart, athletic, or talented in any way. It's about drive and ambition. There are tons of smart, talented, athletic people who throw their lives away complaining on the internet about being talented and smart but poor They lack ambition and drive.
    Exactly. I'm richer than a lot of people my age that are a damn lot smarter than I am, but they're content with mediocrity, so it's no wonder they aren't wealthy.

I can't stand people that resign to the fact that it isn't always an easy road to make something of yourself, but quit making excuses and you might make some progress.

Deleted
    Recently this has proven to be false. More non-rich people are becoming rich.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    The class you're born into will most likely be the class you die in. That's just reality.

I'm sure someone can point to a guy say "what about this guy". All I can say is good for that guy. Behind him are thousands that wont make the same wealth movement.
    This is because most people are content with where they are in life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's "the poor get... children"
    This is so true..

Deleted

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I've bookmarked this thread and put it up on my big screen TV for the whole family to see.
    Your family is borderline retarded

So how many millionaires are there compared to the general population? Not many. That's the way it works. If everyone was tremendously rich then we the poor would have even less.

Some people are breakout successes. That's why we point to them. There are a lot of ways to do that and if you start early enough with the dedication to do it you can become wealthy. Here's a quick run down though:

Athletes need genetic luck to achieve success. They probably fall into the category were background has little to do with success. If you're a 6'10 man who can ball no one cares about your poor childhood.

Artistic professions need a combination of talent, luck, and skill. They need to learn to pander to the audience and figure out what is popular. Sadly this is the one category where I will say you can dedicate your entire life to it and not be a success. A strong financial family helps because you can focus on your art when you don't have to show up to work 40 hours a week.

Lastly (and to me the most important) is the business and intellectual side of things. If you do well in school and bust your ass you will go far. Keep out of trouble, keep your nose clean, impress the right people and you could start out with a single Mom on welfare and go on to make lots of money. This is a place where money certainly helps. It's much easier to achieve when you have someone paying for the best colleges but it's not needed. You need to start early and work hard and you can do whatever you want. No one is limited by their mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that most companies would cut the average employee first when things aren't going so well, while the already high salaried people in the high ranks are still rewarded with bonuses for some reason despite the lack of evidence that they deserve it while the company they are supposed to help grow has gone into the toilet... yeah, I believe it.

The extraordinarily rich will always work and have a very decent ability to stay wealthy because they can manipulate laws and situations in this country to stay that way. The rest, anything can happen to depending on circumstances. There ought not necessarily be poor at the level that there is in this country with such a large GDP, however, it happens. The ability to get decent primary education and the motivation and encouragement to see a future of something 'realistic' not necessarily 'MTV cribs' ought to be available to everyone and the burden of paying the bills ought not be thrown on the back of the lower-middle to middle economic bracket when the wealthy want tax cuts.

My view is, anyone who is making a ton of money or wants to/plans to ought be considerate of the country they live in and the people around them. They ought realize that the infrastructure and way things are set up allowed them to make that situation possible. No wealthy person that I know does not want to make more money. If they were taxed more (because we and most other industrial countries user a progressive income tax system) and were kept from using ways to evade taxes, they would not all of a sudden lose motivation. They would still work to make more money and their lives would be just fine. It is possible that the luxury items that they want to buy by being one of the top 1 percent would come down in value like people would expect the price of food to go down in value in economic crisis.

However, the truly wealthy will generally for the most part be able to hold onto that position with just a little effort. Only a few under very unfortunate circumstances would lose their fortune if they did things close to correctly.

-Nish
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

I believe they are trends, not hard-set rules. Ultimately it's up to the individual to do the most with what they have at hand. Both can rise and fall on their merits and faults. It's easier to handwave off other factors and make these kind of generalizations to feel better about the complex web of reality and how little control we truly have over it beyond the most immediate level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    No one is limited by their mind.
    Mental illness doesn't exist then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Recently this has proven to be false. More non-rich people are becoming rich.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This is so true..
    Got any facts for that or just freerepublic.com?

Depends partly on their attitude.

I'd been unemployed & bogged down by long term illness & injury for about 5 years after graduating from university (with a student loan, no rich parents), so by the time I was able to work no one would hire me because I was 26 with no references or recent employment. Hundreds of job applications & the only interview I ever got was for an interior decorating sales traineeship (mind you this was after getting a computer science degree, but I'd take anything I could get), but never got an actual job. My employment agency contact told me I was a category 1 in their system, which was essentially their code for "snowball's chance in hell of ever getting a job".

Then it dawned on me that rather than just trying to find a job I'd create one for myself.

Starting off with $2000 I've grown my business to around $30000 value in 2.5 years. This time next year it will be around $45000. 5 years from now I hope to be putting down a deposit on a house. This pic sums it up pretty well:

Laziness / apathy & lack of imagination are a big factor in people not moving forward financially. That and just plain irresponsible spending. I have a friend with twice my income and he is always complaining about struggling to pay his bills because he indulges his vices and is very short sighted financially. This is very common.
    Last edited by poogle; 2013-07-19 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    The same can be said for people with weight issues and I guarantee you that they are not content with that.

If you're poor, unless you work significantly harder that most people, get contacts and mentors to guide you, and get lucky, you'll probably die not that far away from poor. If you're rich, unless you screw up badly, get shunned by the people you know, and have really bad luck, you'll probably die not that far away from rich. Same goes for middle class people.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Nowadays both parents are expected to get a job to make a proper living, and more and more students tend to stay at home after graduating because the cost of moving out and starting your own life has significantly increased over the years.
    Depends on the jobs of the parents. Also it also has something to do with staying at home being the easy solution, i moved out at 17 with nothing, but obviously expecting to have the same life quality as when your parents pretty much provide everything for you off the bat is ludicrous and a lot of people don't want to give that up.

- - - Updated - - -

The same can be said for people with weight issues and I guarantee you that they are not content with that.
    How so? Its not because they are complaining about it that they aren't content with it, otherwise they would do what it takes to fix it. Overweight people i knew always had some glaring lifestyle issues without doing much to change it no matter how much they complained about it.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2013-07-19 at 03:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    More than half of the people in this thread think themselves well-off or boast about their own created wealth, not realizing that more and more people who were much better off than them or had bigger businesses than them in the end simply get swallowed whole by bigger fish than themselves. The rich don't get richer, simply by letting everyone else get richer too.
    It's not THAT common.

I'll never sell my businesses and I'll be retiring before any other company could possibly damage a significant amount of my income, if it even happened at all.

Of course it's true, largely because the rich keep doing things that make you rich while the poor keep doing the things that make you poor. Of course lots of people including the majority on these forums think most poor people are victimized by others into their position but that's bull.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    which is why they want us to keep breeding, the more people are born the more slaves they get.
    Your whole post is nonsense, but I had to address at least this: Poor people breeding produces more "need" for welfare which means rich people supporting more people and more government bureaucrats. Trust me, the very last thing rich people want the "slaves" to do is reproduce.