Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Same problem here, got no ac so I opened my window and stuck a fan next to it, helped get some air flowing through the room!
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    I never point a fan on me while sleeping and no i dont have a study that shows it, you &^*& wiseguy.

Dry Air
    A fan dries the air. When a sleeper breathes in dry air, the mouth and trachea become dry, leading to intense thirst that prevents a good night's sleep. So, the noise may sooth a person to sleep, but the dryness wakes him up. A humidifier is a good alternative; it provides consistent noise and keeps the air moist.

Sinuses
    Fans that are not used during the day tend to collect dust. A dust-covered fan blowing toward a sleeper's head has the potential to clog the sinuses. This problem is easily adverted by keeping fans dust free and cleaning out filters on filtered air systems.
    Except a fan doesn't dry air. A fan effects no change to the humidity of the room.

Look, actual sources! http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_ca..._with_a_fan_on
    While low humidity in a room might create the proper conditions for some viruses, a fan does not have any effect on the humidity level in a room, as a fan simply pushes air around, it does not alter the air like an air conditioner. A fan blowing directly in your face could potentially dry out your mucous tissue and make it slightly easier for a cold virus to gain entry through cracked tissue, but without the presence of the virus in your immediate environment resulting in your exposure, you will not get a cold no matter how dry your membranes are.

There are a lot of myths and old beliefs from before science fully understood the mechanism of infection by rhinoviruses (the viruses causing the common cold). The idea of being out in the cold weather or in air drafts causing a "weakening" the immune system allowing for infections isn't true.

References/sources:
    Dowling HF, Jackson GG, Spiesman IG, Inouye T (1958). "Transmission of the common cold to volunteers under controlled conditions. III. The effect of chilling of the subjects upon susceptibility". [American Journal of Hygiene 68 (1): 59-65.];
    Douglas, R.G.Jr, K.M. Lindgren, and R.B. Couch (1968). "Exposure to cold environment and rhinovirus common cold. Failure to demonstrate effect". [New England Journal of Medicine 279.]
    The National Sleep Foundation suggests you sleep with a fan or AC on if your room is warm
    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/artic...ep-environment
    In fact, research suggests that a hot sleeping environment leads to more wake time and lighter sleep at night, while awakenings multiply. An air conditioner or fan can help, and a humidifier can provide relief if you're suffering from a sore throat or dryness in your nose.
    The idea that a fan is somehow going to make the a rhinovirus appear and attack you in your sleep is preposterous.

And, just for shits and giggles, here is an article from the same site you referenced (ehow.com(which is shit)) that says Fans don't dry out air.

http://www.ehow.com/info_10061148_ca...e-dry-air.html

How Ceiling Fans Work
    Ceiling fans circulate room air but do not increase dryness or remove humidity; they move air over your skin, evaporating moisture quicker than usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    I never point a fan on me while sleeping and no i dont have a study that shows it, you &^*& wiseguy.

Dry Air
    A fan dries the air. When a sleeper breathes in dry air, the mouth and trachea become dry, leading to intense thirst that prevents a good night's sleep. So, the noise may sooth a person to sleep, but the dryness wakes him up. A humidifier is a good alternative; it provides consistent noise and keeps the air moist.

Sinuses
    Fans that are not used during the day tend to collect dust. A dust-covered fan blowing toward a sleeper's head has the potential to clog the sinuses. This problem is easily adverted by keeping fans dust free and cleaning out filters on filtered air systems.
    I've slept with a fan on for 4 years, i sleep like a baby

Dry Air
    Fans now remove humidity from the atmosphere - fuck you science!

I didnt made it up

Guess google and my mother tricked me

Deleted
    Freeze a 1l (or whatever size you have) bottle of water. Put it in front of the fan frozen, and the air gets cooled as it blows past the frozen object. It will melt though, so you need to refreeze it or have a cycle of two so you've always got one frozen. It's what I've been doing during the heatwave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Freeze a 1l (or whatever size you have) bottle of water. Put it in front of the fan frozen, and the air gets cooled as it blows past the frozen object. It will melt though, so you need to refreeze it or have a cycle of two so you've always got one frozen. It's what I've been doing during the heatwave.
    The fuck? That's... that's brilliant, actually. I never would have thought of that in a million years! Now I've got something to test in the morning...

Deleted
    Damn mine melted within 10 Minutes, was working so well : (

WHY U SO HOT PC AND OUTSIDE WORLD > : (

10+ Year Old Account
    England's capping some 30 odd heat here in the south, I've got a fan going on rotate next to the window and my bedroom door open, air is flowing, it might not be COOL but it's prevening me sweating and my PC isn't overheating.

Other than that, investing in AC or a portable AC unit is your only other option. Or do what my silly guildmate is doing and getting icepacks out of the freezer every hour.

Also play in your underwear. Lal.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Haha got to try that out.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, this is so fun.

You consider that warm xD? that's the average summer down here!
    Well, 3 hours south of my place they are having over 40ºC in the shadow.

I can understand that's not your weather tho. Maybe you can try the classic Ice and fan, get a lot of ice and a big fan, it's a classy which never fails. Not only you move the air but you make it quite cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Temperance Brennan View Post
    So in Belgium, it's currently between 25 °C and 30°C, every day, and it has been like this since summer recess started on the 1st of July. There is no real change expected for the next 9 days, although starting the 28th, they're predicting lower temperatures.

My room looks out on the east. I arrive at home after work around 5:30 PM, and I turn on my computer on my room when I get home. I don't open any windows or roller shutters before I go to work to keep the sun's rays out, but I do open then when I'm back. I don't have an airconditioning system, and I understand a fan only makes it feel better, but actually heats up the room.

What are the best ways to cool down my room, or at least stay somewhat cool while I'm gaming on my room?
    It's actually pretty simple for you. Get a window fan, but take it out during the day. The single best insulator known to man is air that doesn't move. Even if your fan is creating heat, it's still moving air, which will still cool you.

Aside from that, during the day, keep your windows closed, which you are already doing. During the evening/night put a window fan in that will pull in cool air from the outside. It helps if you have a place for the hot air to go, IE another window on the opposite side of the house/apt/etc.

But regardless, if that is not enough, then you are going to have to shell out some cash. If a window fan isn't enough, then a window AC unit will be your best bet, especially in a rental. You can probably talk your landlord into letting you put a window AC in, so long as you insure that you will do no damage to the window/screen/building doing it. If they won't go for that, then you can go for a portable AC unit. Portable AC units cost more since they use more energy, mostly since they are going to lose heat through the tube going to the window, and will actually cool less than window AC unit.

After that, you're looking at a mini-split ductless AC unit, which actually goes through the wall of your flat. If you are renting, this is most likely not a possibility. You're going to be punching through the inside and outside wall of your flat, which your landlord is gonna have a shitfit over.

If none of those options are viable, then the only thing I can say is very simple advise that I lived with for more than a decade. 30 degress C isn't that bad, and if you have a box fan and a couple of 2 liter bottles, fill the bottles with water, freeze them, and put them in front of the box fan at night. It will really help to cool the air hitting you despite the excess heat from the box fan. Every little bit helps.

I don't mind heat too much, but a sunny day it gets 35 degrees inside.
    I open up 2 windows and put a fan in each of them, one blowing air inside, one blowing it out, making sure there comes an airflow, even if there's no real wind.
    Best solution i've found, unless you want to pay a fortune to power for AC
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    Open your windows, and get shades for the windows facing the sun. No need to invest in expensive AC as the weather in Belgium probably doesn't hit 25C+ very often.

Deleted
    It's simple, we kill the sun so it's winter forever.

This is the best plan and has no drawbacks whatsoever.

No but seriously fuck summer.

Dealing with similar where I am.

I just strip down to my underwear when I get home.

Instead of putting that frozen bottle of water in front of the fan, I keep it nearby and put it on my head.

Then I shake my fist at the sun.

Then I remember 6 months ago, it was winter and I had to wear several layers.

Then I shake my fist at the sun again.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Temperance Brennan View Post
    So in Belgium, it's currently between 25 °C and 30°C, every day, and it has been like this since summer recess started on the 1st of July. There is no real change expected for the next 9 days, although starting the 28th, they're predicting lower temperatures.

My room looks out on the east. I arrive at home after work around 5:30 PM, and I turn on my computer on my room when I get home. I don't open any windows or roller shutters before I go to work to keep the sun's rays out, but I do open then when I'm back. I don't have an airconditioning system, and I understand a fan only makes it feel better, but actually heats up the room.

What are the best ways to cool down my room, or at least stay somewhat cool while I'm gaming on my room?
    Open your window at night, leave your door open and open another window open across the other side of the house/apartment. Instant refreshment.

and your a Belgian, try to enjoy this heavenly weather before the Game of Thrones type winter hits us in november till april.

Summer is the best season hands down, T-shirt and shorts yeay, girls in short dresses and hot pants yeay (and my wife is a big fan of shorts and short dresses so double win for me), ice cold beer yeay, Barbeque yeay, staying up late enjoying the cool wind after that BBQ and a couple of beers yeay, and last but certainly not least: summer sex, sweaty and unrestrained, no hudling under the blankets for a bit of warmth.

I heart the summer, may it last forever!

edit: Oh btw, airconditioning can spread legionella, makes your elec. bill soar and in Belgium, you only have like 1 month of hot weather tops. Big waste of money.
    Last edited by mmoc86b74697f8; 2013-07-19 at 11:45 AM.

I got sick 2 weeks ago from having a fan on me while sleeping, on lowest speed pointing at my feet. I've also had neck muscle problems from a fan before, causing my neck to be painfully stiff and locked into a certain angle for a couple of days.

To be fair when I was younger I was sleeping every summer with AC plus a fan pointed at me full speed without making me sick. Don't know what changed.

In any case, be careful with fans especially while sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I've also had neck muscle problems from a fan before, causing my neck to be painfully stiff and locked into a certain angle for a couple of days.
    What? That just means you slept strangely. Happens with or without a fan.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    What? That just means you slept strangely. Happens with or without a fan.
    Doctor said it was the fan.