Deleted

Chi burst no longer requires a target...

What's the point in that? It worked just fine with target, now it's just like the priest talent Divine star, just that it has a casting time (making it pretty useless for WW or BM). It was really easy to use, just place yourself behind the group, throw it at the tank.

To me, this just looks like a change for the sake of changing stuff...

There is already another post about it here : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Burst-5-4-PTR

But it's a change for the good in my opinion, now you don't have to rely on the player you cast it on, to be the furthest, it will go in that direction anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuh View Post
    There is already another post about it here : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Burst-5-4-PTR

But it's a change for the good in my opinion, now you don't have to rely on the player you cast it on, to be the furthest, it will go in that direction anyway.
    Hmm, missed that thread. The point is that it looks exactly like another class's ability now, except that they left the disadvantage of it having a cast time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    Hmm, missed that thread. The point is that it looks exactly like another class's ability now, except that they left the disadvantage of it having a cast time.
    it doesn't really matter that it has a cast time. you continue to dodge, parry and autoattack during it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Temperance Brennan View Post
    it doesn't really matter that it has a cast time. you continue to dodge, parry and autoattack during it.
    But you still need to stand still, even if it's just for like 0.5 seconds, that can make a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    there are lots of abilities that have super short cast times just to prevent you from moving while casting.

Deleted
    It's better for hiting every enemy/ally you want it to hit without having to worry about which target to pick.
    Unfortunately it will become useless for aggroing the bats as they spawn in the air during Tortos hc :/

10+ Year Old Account
    They could've made it so if you have a target selected, you aim the burst at the target, but if you don't have a target selected, you'd aim it infront of you.

Deleted
    They should make is so it still requires a target but keeps traveling up to 40 yards away from the caster or something. Problem solved, but that Woolf be too easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Shishar View Post
    They should make is so it still requires a target but keeps traveling up to 40 yards away from the caster or something. Problem solved, but that Woolf be too easy...
    How does that make any sense in the course of casting an ability. The reason you TARGET someone is so the spell is cast on them, if you target someone and cast a spell and it goes past them there's no reason for targeting. Its clunky design like that, which other games partake in, that make them look and feel like they play bad. Its like not being an electrician, and wiring your own house, sure it might work, but it will look, and probably work like shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haphe View Post
    How does that make any sense in the course of casting an ability. The reason you TARGET someone is so the spell is cast on them, if you target someone and cast a spell and it goes past them there's no reason for targeting. Its clunky design like that, which other games partake in, that make them look and feel like they play bad. Its like not being an electrician, and wiring your own house, sure it might work, but it will look, and probably work like shit.
    it would be convenient and terribly easy to control precisely where the spell move without having to sacrifice range. That's how it makes sense. And i am frankly a little surprised at the vehemence of your reaction.

• Current: Two points A and B define a line segment, the spell moves from point A to Point B
    • PTR: Point A faces a direction, the spell moves in a 40 yard straight line in that direction
    • suggestion by Shishar: Two points A and B define a line, the spell moves from point A along that line in the direction of point B for 40 yards.

they all 'make sense'
    it's merely a matter of which mechanic is most useful, effective and intuitive.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2013-07-19 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    it would be convenient and terribly easy to control precisely where the spell move without having to sacrifice range. That's how it makes sense. And i am frankly a little surprised at the vehemence of your reaction.
    Everyone always says "Just do this its easy" without any clue about the design impacts that go into creating the game. "Let me target this guy right next to me and throw a ball at him, that will continue going 40 yards" from a design perspective its clunky as hell. I didn't argue that it wouldn't work, because it probably would. But in the sense of design of character skills and abilities it doesn't make any sense what so ever to have to target a third party only to make that targeting only useful in the aiming of the ability itself.

My vehemence only comes from the amount of people that do not realize the work and time that go into designing a game for 8+ million people, and the implementation of new technology in that sort of environment. Its very easy to sit on the side lines and say "Just point this ball at a random third party for no apparent reason" and its very easy for companies to just start doing that kind of thing, because it works, but when you start taking shortcuts like that, and don't design in a professional way of doing things, you make the game feel 2nd shelf. And I'd argue its exactly why blizzard doesn't implement requests like that fast, because they take the time to work things out, think them through, and design them in a way that flows with the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Define clunky. seriously.

It was really easy to use, just place yourself behind the group, throw it at the tank.
    Wrong. You're not getting its full potential if youre just targeting the tank. It also depends on what spec your are in and your raid's placement. With targeting, sometimes you wouldn't get the full 40max range, now it's always a gaurantee

You could set up some really nice burst with the old version...

Stunned enemy plus TeB stacks + Chi Burst followed by a Rising Sun Kick....

lots of damage.

does anyone else see any potential problems with the 40 yard range though? I haven't seen any of the SoO trash, but other classes used to have problems that they couldn't cast a spell cause it'd pull everything in the room. Especially in challenge modes, this might be a talent that's just not worth taking...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    You could set up some really nice burst with the old version...

Stunned enemy plus TeB stacks + Chi Burst followed by a Rising Sun Kick....

lots of damage.
    Nothing really keeping you from still doing that.

Deleted
    [...] The point is that it looks exactly like another class's ability now, except that they left the disadvantage of it having a cast time.
    Sure but Divine Star still is a lvl 90 Talent while Chi Burst is lvl 30.
    I like the change as a BrM, but will stick with Chi Wave for most bosses
    Last edited by mmoc04244a38e2; 2013-07-21 at 11:46 AM.

I think it's a good change. It would already be useful in fights like Megaera or Lei Shen, when I'm tanking the boss and simultaneously trying to reposition myself to get a Burst in--not having to worry about targeting a specific person makes things more convenient and saves time.