Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Which spec do you think will be the "main" spec for 5.4?

    Hello fellow hunters.

    I have recently rerolled to my hunter and tryed out a few things on PTR.
    Tryed all specs with all the new trinkets (From the vendor), and 4set from the new tier.

    After 5x 50mill damage tests in each spec.

    1) Survival - Highest damage
    2) Marksmanship - 2nd on damage (About 10k lower than Survival)
    3) Beast mastery - last on damage (Average 5-10k lower than MM).

    So i wanna hear about your guys tests and thoughts about which spec will be the prime spec for 5.4
    As i see (with the lastest patch) survival getting above BM again.. but not sure as i said i just rerolled back about 1 month ago still have alot to learn ..

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Almex View Post
    Hello fellow hunters.

    I have recently rerolled to my hunter and tryed out a few things on PTR.
    Tryed all specs with all the new trinkets (From the vendor), and 4set from the new tier.

    After 5x 50mill damage tests in each spec.

    1) Survival - Highest damage
    2) Marksmanship - 2nd on damage (About 10k lower than Survival)
    3) Beast mastery - last on damage (Average 5-10k lower than MM).

    So i wanna hear about your guys tests and thoughts about which spec will be the prime spec for 5.4
    As i see (with the lastest patch) survival getting above BM again.. but not sure as i said i just rerolled back about 1 month ago still have alot to learn ..

    Too soon.

    I find it hard to belive MM will be higher dps than BM. If it was like that you'd see the hunter forums flooded with threads about it.

  3. #3
    I'm going to assume these tests were done on a target dummy?

    Because.... Careful Aim.

    It's really sort of pointless to speculate before the numbers adjustment.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter - 11/14 10H SoO - 13/13 10H ToT (Retired)
    Alt - Rerolling - BrM Monk

    Ex-GM of <Convicted>/<Ginyu Force> on US-Stormreaver
    http://www.sr-ginyuforce.com/home - Kill Videos
    Hunter Simcraft Profile Generator web tool

  4. #4
    Mechagnome Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    577
    If done on a target dummy your dps will be skewed in mm due to careful aim as said above. I dont even use the target dummies as mm because of this.

    Right now im MM
    5.4 Guess what !! ill still be MM

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    If done on a target dummy your dps will be skewed in mm due to careful aim as said above. I dont even use the target dummies as mm because of this.

    Right now im MM
    5.4 Guess what !! ill still be MM
    I used to do target dummy dps duels back in Cata with other classes and always won.

  6. #6
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    2,361
    the "main" spec is gonna be whichever i have most fun playing , all 3 of them being bland, boring and almost exactly the same dosnt help tho...

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    the "main" spec is gonna be whichever i have most fun playing , all 3 of them being bland, boring and almost exactly the same dosnt help tho...
    MM isn't even close to the same playstyle as the other 2.
    no other spec does your rotation change because the boss is over/under a certain hp %.

    Or give you the flexibility of using 1 of 2 focus dumps depending on your playstyle.
    Last edited by Littlepinch; 2013-07-19 at 06:12 PM.

  8. #8
    I'm Bm and go SV for some fights (those with multiple spread out targets or those bad for pets such as Ji-Kun) I don't really care that much about who's highest dps as long as the specs I love are still viable.

  9. #9
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    MM isn't even close to the same playstyle as the other 2.
    no other spec does your rotation change because the boss is over/under a certain hp %.

    Or give you the flexibility of using 1 of 2 focus dumps depending on your playstyle.
    Um everyspecs rotation changes because of killshot...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Almex View Post
    Hello fellow hunters.

    I have recently rerolled to my hunter and tryed out a few things on PTR.
    Tryed all specs with all the new trinkets (From the vendor), and 4set from the new tier.

    After 5x 50mill damage tests in each spec.

    1) Survival - Highest damage
    2) Marksmanship - 2nd on damage (About 10k lower than Survival)
    3) Beast mastery - last on damage (Average 5-10k lower than MM).

    So i wanna hear about your guys tests and thoughts about which spec will be the prime spec for 5.4
    As i see (with the lastest patch) survival getting above BM again.. but not sure as i said i just rerolled back about 1 month ago still have alot to learn ..
    Lol no. With the recent stampede change and the reduction trinkets it's like this :

    Survival > BM >>>>>>>>>>>> MM.

    MM isn't even remotely competitive with BM and BM is quite behind SV (however the SV jumps ahead depending on how much your 4set procs).

  11. #11
    Who are you? use the sim. Human tests, no matter HOW MANY TESTS or HOW MUCH DAMAGE you do per test, are never accurate. They mean absolutely nothing

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    Lol no. With the recent stampede change and the reduction trinkets it's like this :

    Survival > BM >>>>>>>>>>>> MM.
    Not sure how the CD trinket is better for SV than it is for BM. Or even the stampede change.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by D R E A D E D View Post
    Who are you? use the sim. Human tests, no matter HOW MANY TESTS or HOW MUCH DAMAGE you do per test, are never accurate. They mean absolutely nothing

    Is today opposite day? Because that is completely backwards. Real life testing is more reliable than simulated testing.


    OP: Too early to do something like this. Let Blizzard finish adjusting numbers before asking this question and providing numbers for reason.
    "Hunters view nature as a force with which to ally. They spend much of their time with an animal companion. The bond that forms between the two is rather strong. To attack either is to bring down the wrath of both. With powerful attacks in melee and at range, and a friend willing to put its life on the line at your command, the Hunter makes a potent addition to any group."

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by danko215 View Post
    Is today opposite day? Because that is completely backwards. Real life testing is more reliable than simulated testing.


    OP: Too early to do something like this. Let Blizzard finish adjusting numbers before asking this question and providing numbers for reason.
    you want to say is more accurate because you take into account human error. a sim is more accurate still that dosnt mean is the best, a combination of 2 and a real análisis will always be better.

    sim show you the max potential of the spec, a test done by you show your potential. sometimes your potential could be really low. what i find funny is that guy saying MM was doing a bit less damage than SV on his testing. even with carefull aim 100% of the time MM isnt beat the other 2 specs. thats how bad its.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by D R E A D E D View Post
    Who are you? use the sim. Human tests, no matter HOW MANY TESTS or HOW MUCH DAMAGE you do per test, are never accurate. They mean absolutely nothing
    And sims aren't accurate because they don't take into account any humanisms (i.e. human error) that actual testing will provide.

    Don't get me wrong, I will prefer sims to actually testing almost all of the time (or - shocker - use BOTH of them), but as soon as you say that human testing means absolutely nothing, you lose any bit of credibility.

    Anyway, it's already established that OP's numbers are off due to careful aim. There's still a lot of room for changes before 5.4 goes live, so no one can be sure of what's to come.

  16. #16
    Hard to say as they haven't done any balancing and I haven't played any PTR (and might not even raid). As it is now, BM > SV > MM.

    There seem to be a lot of fights with cleave targets, so SV might end up getting higher parses, but BM might still be the go-to spec for people who don't care about scumbagging meters on useless cleave targets.

  17. #17
    Field Marshal Evix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    87
    BM will be best on single target fights and SV will be best on aoe fights.. It's been like that whole MoP.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Evix View Post
    BM will be best on single target fights and SV will be best on aoe fights.. It's been like that whole MoP.
    survival isn't always better for aoe, bm can do a lot of aoe, survival aoe is only better than bm if targets are quite all stacked up and if they won't die right away, bm aoe is a lot better if everything is stacked, beast cleave does a shit ton.

  19. #19
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,513
    There hasn't been any number tuning done on PTR yet, so even if your testing methodology was reliable, it still wouldn't give us any clue what spec will come out on top in 5.4. It's simply impossible to tell at this point.

    I just hope it's not BM. I'm tired of playing a spec where half the dmg comes from a source that 1) can't hit things in air, 2) can die from random aoe attacks and 3) has huge pathing issues on certain fights.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    There hasn't been any number tuning done on PTR yet, so even if your testing methodology was reliable, it still wouldn't give us any clue what spec will come out on top in 5.4. It's simply impossible to tell at this point.

    I just hope it's not BM. I'm tired of playing a spec where half the dmg comes from a source that 1) can't hit things in air, 2) can die from random aoe attacks and 3) has huge pathing issues on certain fights.
    Agree with kill command, raden is a pain in the rear for me, i just took off all my macros that i used on kill command because i didnt want to deal more with the pet and would let the pet kill command either raden or the ball

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •