Thread: Laptop question

Laptop question

Heya MMO pc champs

I need a laptop for WoW and LoL and ocasional Planetside 2.

I am not too demanding for example if wow can run on high and maybe some things on better than high i am fine with, ofc it needs to be in 10 man setting with 30 FPS or more. Also if Planetside 2 can go on medium to high with decent fps i will be happy.

I was looking at
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G750JW/
    It fits my price range and from the components I see it should be doing the things i want.

So what is your opinion? How will it run the games i mentioned?

- - - Updated - - -

Bump bump!!

- - - Updated - - -

bum bum nr2

So noone can or will answer my question?

You linked a gaming laptop, there isnt much to answer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...5000&OEMMark=N

Here is a list of some of the gaming laptops, they are all the same, 4th generation i7 and 770m which is more than enough for most games.

How it will run games? WoW on Ultra, turn shadows/multisampling off during raiding to have 50-60 FPS in combat maybe even more, not so sure how 4700M CPU responds to WoW.

LoL i wont even talk about it, come on >_>

Planetside 2 i am not sure..It run with most things at High/Ultra on my i7 2600K/GTX 580 so it should run slightly better for you.
    Last edited by potis; 2013-07-21 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanali View Post
    I need a laptop
    You sure? You get twice the fps on desktop at same price. Also because it's gaming laptop it will have really shitty battery life and that size/weight makes it pain in the ass (literally) to lug around daily.

It fits my price range and from the components I see it should be doing the things i want.
    Probably. Although I wouldn't take 1600x900 17" screen. It's 1080p or nothing at that big size. Sadly that'll affect framerate too.

bum bum nr2
    Bumps are not allowed on this forum neither does it work as you probably noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Planetside 2 i am not sure..It run with most things at High/Ultra on my i7 2600K/GTX 580 so it should run slightly better for you.
    Not even close... 765M is about on par with desktop GTX460. It will run games at half the framerate of GTX580.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Tnx for the kind response Potis
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152401

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834216536

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834227051

So which 1 of these seems most reliable because i noticed that msi 1 is 8.6 lbs toshiba is 7.6lbs and the ibuypower is 7 lbs.

Does that have any effect on their cooling ability or any other thing thats connected to performance?

Vesseblah yea i need a laptop its not about taking it with me all day long and what do you think about the laptops i linked up there?
    I need something that should run the things i mentioned at a decent fps I am no too demanding as i said.
    Last edited by Seanali; 2013-07-21 at 11:07 AM.

Seanali, weight in those kind of laptops is usually cooling stuff i would assume, MSI laptops are a bit bulkier since i know they have extra fans in there.

Generally all 3 of those are the exact same things, even if the MSI one doesnt say what RPM the HDD is running in, i would assume 7200 as the other ones, hopefully.

And to the random post..I am talking about a 770m, which on the above laptops that i linked, can run Crysis 3 at 1080p with High Settings at 30 FPS, which means it can handle Planetside 2 without AA easily..Google search and benchmarks are hard to read!

If you are worried about the weight and quality, you can get the Toshiba one, i heard good thing about the Qosmio laptops, and if you wanna save money get the MSI since it has 8GB of RAM which is enough and costs 100$ less, although not sure about the RPM on that one, i can assume its 7200.

So which 1 of these seems most reliable
    Try google for reviews. Not user reviews but from sites that look into multiple laptops. Probably things that are interesting to you is the performance of HDD, how the keyboard and touchpad feels like, what kind of battery life do those things have. How big/heavy power brick there is, what's the screen quality like and are the connectors on sides in good places.

Just going by a guess I'd probably take the MSI because it has longest warranty, lowest price and more air vents at the bottom, but it's really hard to say just from pictures and numbers which one is the best.

Does that have any effect on their cooling ability or any other thing thats connected to performance?
    Yep. Heatsinks and battery is usually what weights the most in laptops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Generally all 3 of those are the exact same things, even if the MSI one doesnt say what RPM the HDD is running in, i would assume 7200 as the other ones, hopefully.
    Seems like the Toshiba ships with two 500GB discs which gives interesting RAID options, but sadly it means one of the discs needs to be ditched if you want to put in SSD boot drive in addition.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

It says in most reviews that it has a 5400 rpm but that it can be upgraded. how big is the difference between 5400 and 7200?
    Because I like the MSI for its good cooling system.

Gaming laptops for any serious price are always half as strong as Desktop PCs of the same price.

Think very clearly do you really NEED a gaming laptop - they are not only weak for their price, but you will also need additional things like a mouse, a keyboard and perhaps even a monitor to COMFORTABLY play any real pc game.

It is often better to get 2 gaming PCs for the price of 1 gaming Laptop and place them at your most visited locations - gaming laptops just are not worth it unless you are literally traveling every week of the year for business/school.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Gaming laptops for any serious price are always half as strong as Desktop PCs of the same price.

Think very clearly do you really NEED a gaming laptop - they are not only weak for their price, but you will also need additional things like a mouse, a keyboard and perhaps even a monitor to COMFORTABLY play any real pc game.

It is often better to get 2 gaming PCs for the price of 1 gaming Laptop and place them at your most visited locations - gaming laptops just are not worth it unless you are literally traveling every week of the year for business/school.
    Mate i understand same as every sane person that a desktop is better i need a laptop I am not too demanding and with real Pc game you probably mean single player games which I dont play at all I play WoW LoL and occasional Planetside2 for 1 or 2 hours with my friends max I am ok with it if i get 30-40 fps in Planetside with everything on medium and if get same fps in 10 man raids in WoW with high setting without multisamppling and shadows I will be happy.

Now my question is will any of these laptops give me what i described in the sentence above?

They'll probably give you more than that. If you don't need a 17.3'' screen and you're fine with a 15.6'' one, look for the MSI GT60-2OD, comes with a 780M for the same price of the GT70-2OC but with a smaller screen.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    you will also need additional things like a mouse, a keyboard and perhaps even a monitor to COMFORTABLY play any real pc game.
    i think this is a little biased. i've played comfortably with a laptop for years without another keyboard or monitor. the only extra item i've used is a mouse. i feel uncomfortable when i play on pcs.

Hmm that 1 seems nice but i dont mind the 17 inch i like it with that big screen it fits me well.
    Tnx for the kind answers.

Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    i think this is a little biased. i've played comfortably with a laptop for years without another keyboard or monitor. the only extra item i've used is a mouse. i feel uncomfortable when i play on pcs.
    I primarily meant that, during high performance stress, gaming laptops tend to get their keyboard kinda heated - personally i can not stand having my hand "half boiled" while i play a game.
    Also, if you want to sit a tad back away from a laptop (or put a full size keyboard/gaming keyboard in front of your laptop for better typing/more buttons) the monitor (especially a 15") will definitely seem very small compared to a standard 21-23" gaming monitor.

But if he does not mind all these faults, then there are plenty of good gaming laptops on the market.

Definitely aim for a Nvidia GTX 7xx series and the newest generation of Intel Haswell i5/i7 CPUs - try to stay away from AMD/ATi, their software/driver stability and performance in the last few years has been abysmally horrific.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can people stop bashing amd drivers (don't even mention ati they are long gone). Unless you currently use one and can actually produce evidence they are bad and detail the problem (I'll happily try to replicate it) then don't knock them, there has been far more complaints about the latest Nvidia drivers available at launch for the 7xx series (people being unable to play games due to artefacts on 780's is a prime example).

To the point of laptops, just note the more powerful you go the worse the battery life is going to get, if you need battery life I would check if there bigger battery packs available for the laptop in choice. Also before making a choice I would highly recommend going and playing about with them all in a store, keyboards especially on laptops vary a lot and their key spacings, I would mention touchpad but if your intending to game with it you will almost certainly buy a mouse and use that with it because simply put laptops touchpads are average at best (I have 3 laptops sitting here with me dating from xp to vista to 7, i've used my fair share to have these opinions). Final point to note is you will want to check the rigidity of the screen latch, the quickest way to bone a laptop is have the latch fail and the screen get cracked (they aren't cheap to replace and often quite a pain to do yourself).

Final though, its going to get hot regardless of how good the internal cooling solution is.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210