Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Feral vs Enh shaman vs rogue

Hi guys im comming back to play since my guild decided to take a break on last december. My guild have always clear heroic content since icc so is a pretty good guild. therefore we try to min/max as much as possible for a casual guild.
    For the roster we are planning im needed as the "hybrid versatile" spot. For this spot i have avaible a shaman and a druid. My playstyle fits better for melee agility classes or at least thats what i enjoy playing most so i was wondering what is the current state of each of this classes in terms of dps and utility. Also i've heard rogue is really good right now so i was wondering if its worth to sacrifice some versatility for the dps gain of a rogue (asuming it is superior dps wise). Im able to play all 3 classes well so the mechanics is not a problem.
    Im also posting on rogue and shaman forums to get opinions from all class players.
    I'd appreciate some advices considering we want to catch up and clear heroic content and be ready for 5.4

also have to take into account the offspecs because i find myself changing a lot of specs depending on the needs (an extra healer, changing to caster, etc).
    Oh almost forget to say is 10 man.

PS: sorry for bad english is not my main language.
    Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Dreamcrushed; 2013-07-19 at 09:36 PM.

Feral is the worst DPS of the three, but the most versatile (Stampeding Roar, Tranq, etc.). Rogue is the best DPS, and offers some raid utility with Cloak, Feint, and Smoke Bomb, meaning they can kind of cheese a lot of mechanics and make them easier to deal with. Enh is in the middle for DPS, but they're still strong. They offer a fair amount of healing for minimal DPS loss which can help with some mechanics where the group is stacked.

All three are perfectly viable, just play whatever you find to be the most fun. Having at least 1 Rogue helps a lot in 10 man, but really, all three classes are fine.

If you want to do heroic raids pick Rogue, they are virtually unkillable.

I disagree completely with feral being the most versatile. Most bomb is better than tranq considering ferals don't use Hotw. (Arguable @ 12 targets now). Feral and rogues both have immunities, but feint is king. Enhance AG and single target damage is really good too. Feral is viable, and does well on single target with long executes and no target swapping, but it's the worst imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    < 90 Monk(all specs 520+) 90 Rogue(529) 90 Druid(F 505+)

Don't have a shaman so won't comment on it.

I would say you have to take into account a few things listed below.

Rogue Good:
    - Rogue is and will probably ALWAYS have a spec in the future that is high dps compared to most other classes.
    - Rogue does have a lot of survivability with feint, cloak, etc
    - It is a super easy rotation currently and pretty easy to play good
    Rogue Bad:
    - It is a super easy rotation(it gets boring) and if you're a decent player a druid may be more fun
    - You can only ever DPS including in PvP

Druid Good:
    - You can do anything if you decide you don't want to be melee DPS or if you want to heal in pvp blah blah
    - You can have an alt spec to step in for a missing tank or healer
    - The rotation won't put you to sleep
    - There are way more possible keybinds
    Druid Bad:
    - There are way more possible keybinds
    - You won't be good at dpsing unless you are a decent player and use addons(addons will make it much easier)
    - You will be tempted to gear up all kinds of specs

TL;DR If you want a class that is easy(boring) to do a lot of DPS but can only ever DPS, roll Rogue. If you want to play something that is more challenging with more spec options but even perfected will likely never do as much DPS as a mediocre rogue, roll a Druid.
    Last edited by neozz1; 2013-07-20 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Formatting

got shaman and druid, if you only want to play melee dps then enh all the way... you actually FELL the power, wf procs etc etc... with druid you're just picking at mobs with your shitty claws

If you want a raid spot go with a Rogue, especially in a 10m guild. There is literally no reason a feral druid would be brought over a rogue unless that person was an exceptional feral.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooninites View Post
    If you want a raid spot go with a Rogue, especially in a 10m guild. There is literally no reason a feral druid would be brought over a rogue unless that person was an exceptional feral.
    Or you know ... Offspecs? Unless the 10m guild has a big roster of 13-15 pple, having a class with decent offspecs can be quite helpful when needed for some reason.
    Mew!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirri View Post
    Or you know ... Offspecs? Unless the 10m guild has a big roster of 13-15 pple, having a class with decent offspecs can be quite helpful when needed for some reason.
    In progression this is never relevant. Especially with Valor being needed to upgrade gear. My DPS set is 50 item levels higher than my healing set.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Enhancement shamans have amazing off healing and so much utility it's unbelievable.
    Absolutely right. They have so many useful totems they can drop that have raid-wide effect.. especially if you don't have another shaman in your raid already, you should definitely play Enhancement. If you have a couple of them already, but could use an extra Stampeding Roar or kitty mouseover healing (which has no negative effect on DPS output), then you should play a Druid. Feral with a Resto off-spec is a little unusual, but it's perfectly viable.

Deleted
    Enh shamans have a retardedly complicated rotation with tons of buttons. Ferals kinda the same but less buttons. Rogues are a bit of a mix, sub and combat have as many buttons as ferals (too many) while assassination has a very simple rotation.

My advice is to try and stay away from shaman. If you don't play shaman good, you won't be any better than an assassination rogue.

Deleted
    Enh isn't that much of a complicated priority and certainly well played enh over feral at the moment. They are disc priest in reverse and possibly more op if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggis View Post
    Enh shamans have a retardedly complicated rotation with tons of buttons. Ferals kinda the same but less buttons. Rogues are a bit of a mix, sub and combat have as many buttons as ferals (too many) while assassination has a very simple rotation.

My advice is to try and stay away from shaman. If you don't play shaman good, you won't be any better than an assassination rogue.
    Enh is literally push buttons as they pop with no regards for anything else, with 23948534 CDs that can almost be macrod together.
    The only slightly complicated mechanic is maelstrom and maybe making sure elemental is buffed with all you can get, but feral has to do the latter every 22 and 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Skadovsk View Post
    Enh is literally push buttons as they pop with no regards for anything else, with 23948534 CDs that can almost be macrod together.
    The only slightly complicated mechanic is maelstrom and maybe making sure elemental is buffed with all you can get, but feral has to do the latter every 22 and 15 seconds.
    Feral has the complexity of a Sub Rogue plus a Fury Warrior at the same time, plus you're weaving in hard-cast heals (with a proc that makes them instant) to buff your bleeds. If you're not incredibly good at it, your damage is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by teddabear View Post
    In progression this is never relevant. Especially with Valor being needed to upgrade gear. My DPS set is 50 item levels higher than my healing set.
    Some people do manage to clear the raid instance before the next one starts and that lets them gear up their off-specs for the next tier, where it could be useful on progression.
    Mew!

It is relevant. I've been called on to go Guardian each tier for first kills (heroic Lei Shi and heroic Council). Also great when a tank can't make it I would go in and do work. Not that I want to, but I would so we wouldn't be wasting everyone's time.

OP mentioned going healer so that is what I referenced. Feral to Guardian is a different story as you can use the same gear but you will have to regem, re-enchant and reforge for Heroic raids. The set bonuses aren't that crucial but it will cost you 4-5k gold each time you do all that. I've done it twice when the MT was not available, thankfully the guild picked up the tab. Expect to spend a couple hours getting all that done and redoing your UI. If you were in a situation with very few leather wearers you may be able to have a second set ready to go. My guild is heavy on leather classes and over half the raid uses the Druid tier token.

OP mentioned going healer so that is what I referenced. Feral to Guardian is a different story as you can use the same gear but you will have to regem, re-enchant and reforge for Heroic raids. The set bonuses aren't that crucial but it will cost you 4-5k gold each time you do all that. I've done it twice when the MT was not available, thankfully the guild picked up the tab. Expect to spend a couple hours getting all that done and redoing your UI. If you were in a situation with very few leather wearers you may be able to have a second set ready to go. My guild is heavy on leather classes and over half the raid uses the Druid tier token.
    Everyone's situation is different. I'm the only Agi leather user in our group, but there are two Int leather users, so going Moonkin as an off-spec is not an option for me currently.. but my Feral set is quite up to date if I will ever get a chance to use it. I actually do more damage tanking, so I don't often let the cat out of the bag.

I love my enhance shammy fun to play, takes skill to nail the priority down right, have yet to level my druid, who has been my main since BC. Its sad really MOP killed my alts.

I didn't re-enchant my gear. I just reforged and swapped my JC gems and did fine for heroic council. I didn't do anything for Lei Shi. Redoing your UI . . . it didn't really take long. I added some weakauras and I was good to go.

I actually have enough tier tokens right now in my bags to get a full heroic resto set and an extra piece for balance/guardian. If I wanted I could get more int leather pieces because our resto druid is often the healer sat (disc/pally great combo). And I barely even raid anymore! Depends on the raid.

Point being: off-spec is definitely relevant. It can be easier to change between certain combos, for sure, but the flexibility of a spec that has 4 different playstyles cannot be understated and should be a pro when comparing to a pure dps class.