Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lei Shen 25H before 5.4

On Wednesday night we finally arrived at Lei Shen 25H after our first Dark Animus 25H kill. Based on where the PTR raid testing cycle is, I estimate we have more than enough time to kill Lei Shen before Siege comes out. My question is, would it be wise to continue clearing every week and only getting maybe Sundays for Lei Shen progression or extending our lockout and just pushing Lei Shen til he's dead (Tues/Wed/Sun raidtime)? We've got a pretty decent raid comp at ~544 ilvl, and I want to be 100% sure we finish this tier before Siege.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

if your avarage raid ilvl is 544 its well enough, just keep extending.

You won't kill Lei Shen 25H using 1 night a week (unless its an abnormally long night). We didn't start extending until we got the boss to P3 a few times... but we also cleared our farm in just under 4 hours.

544 is way more than you need. If you goal is to clear the instance (rather than try for BiS, minus LS/RaDen), then you'd do well to extend a lock. Especially so, if your DA kill was sloppy/messy, as you can spend some time there on repeat kills (or perhaps you have other "speedbump" bosses.

Phases 1 and 2 are jokes. Hardest parts are the transitions. Phase 3 is pretty much a kill once you learn the timing of in and out.

*This is 10m HC experience, 25 is more hectic so I can't really comment on tips, outside of suggesting that you don't reclear each week for only 1 night of progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Personally, i'd only extend a lockout if you were getting somewhat close to a kill.

Definitely full clear each week. With only one DA HM kill under your belt, you will soak up a ton of heroic tier chest pieces and also some nice trinkets. I had a friend whose guild extended for three weeks, and let's just say - after 9 days of raiding the same wipe over and over, they were quite burnt. Having a full clear gets you gear, but it also keeps you sane (different bosses, more relaxed on farm content, etc). Being stressed for the whole night is a different ballgame, and not one so easily handled.

You are correct on the "more than enough time" - if you don't get it the first week or two, it will come quickly after that. And you have plenty of time before 5.4

Deleted
    If you extend a full save, you will kill it that week with 544 ilvl. If you spend one day, well... it will take you several weeks I guess. After that, you really shouldn't wipe to kill it again. So you pay one save of loot to open up both Lei Shen and Ra-den loot 3-4 weeks sooner. Since you are probably throwing away most loot of the early bosses, yes it's worth it.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2013-07-19 at 08:56 PM.

I'd say extend. It took my guild just over 200 attempts. If you guys keep at it, it just becomes almost automatic to do the little transition dances of spread, stack, spread& soak etc. Just keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hjelpen View Post
    if your avarage raid ilvl is 544 its well enough, just keep extending.
    544? haha we killed it with 525 like 3 months ago. Boss is a joke with anything above 530.

I would personally never extend. Dedicating 3 whole days to just one boss really does wear you down. If your entire raid is progression minded, then yeah, no issues with extending. That said, I imagine not everyone in your raid has that mindset. After 2 days of tossing yourself at a boss, it's tough to convince yourself to show up to a 3rd day.

What makes matters worse is that the fight really does show who your weakest members are. If you have a member that cannot understand how to solo soak, how to soak a bouncing bolt, when to stack, when to spread out... You're SOL if you don't have another geared member to bring in because you really are as strong as your weakest member for this fight. (This is also a reason for not extending. With my guild, we were able to find an excellent player that was merely undergeared at the time but after just 1 week of full clearing, he was more than able to hold his own on the fight and replaced a (to be frank) shitty player.)

There is so much info about the boss (overall and class specific) out there now that it really isn't that hard of an encounter anymore, especially with current gear levels. In the end it's a question of whether all 25 players can pay attention for 10~ minutes and do everything perfectly. Grinding it out over and over and over for 3 days honestly just seems like a quick way to discourage your raiders.
    Last edited by wombats23; 2013-07-20 at 08:47 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reading that quite a few people already did it, makes me think I should swap guilds :/
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    544? haha we killed it with 525 like 3 months ago. Boss is a joke with anything above 530.
    A joke? A JOKE?! No, you are a joke.

There are people with ilvl 545+ and many hundreds of attempts, and those are very skilled players that would rofl at me if I even tried to apply to their guilds.

I believe it depends on the type of people you raid with and their ability to stay sane on progressing multiple days straight. Last thing you want is people to quit due to being completely fed up with seeing phase 1 for the 150th time straight.

Deleted
    if you got 544 ilvl you have the stuff to faceroll the whole instance so let it resets.

Like others have pointed out, it depends on how focused your group is on getting him down and whether they will burn out. If your raid can clear everything up to him in a night, then another 1 or 2 resets of gear wont hurt.

Don't extend the first week. 25 man is currently taking about 200 pulls to down (though that number is dropping with more people getting their cloaks). Wait a week or two and see how close you're getting. It'll burn your raid out to do 200 straight attempts with no other boss kills. A lot of that difficulty is the intermissions, which isn't really all that much gear based other than having a little bit of extra hp to soak those balls with.

SoO will be either August 27th or September 10th, for your reference.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2013-07-20 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    SoO will be either August 27th or September 10th, for your reference.
    Any source to back that up? I feel we'll be running SoO by 20th August at the LATEST. There's not much testing left to do, nowhere near close to more than another month.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesuque View Post
    Definitely full clear each week. With only one DA HM kill under your belt, you will soak up a ton of heroic tier chest pieces and also some nice trinkets. I had a friend whose guild extended for three weeks, and let's just say - after 9 days of raiding the same wipe over and over, they were quite burnt. Having a full clear gets you gear, but it also keeps you sane (different bosses, more relaxed on farm content, etc). Being stressed for the whole night is a different ballgame, and not one so easily handled.

You are correct on the "more than enough time" - if you don't get it the first week or two, it will come quickly after that. And you have plenty of time before 5.4
    Other than animus loot if players are at 544 ilvl you are going to be experiencing pretty major diminishing returns on loot. We killed Lei Shen at a guild ilvl of 538 and during our subsequent clears we probably only receive 1-2 upgrades per boss. Sure its better than nothing but its probably <2% increase in raid throughput per week. If you have a long raid week and you can afford to spend 3-4 hours reclearing for that 1-2% throughput increase then maybe its worth it but if reclearing means sacrificing 30% of your raid week I can't see it being worth it.
    Fierydemise-ShaowCraft Engine Guy
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)
    Rogue IRC: #Ravenholdt on Quakenet

Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Any source to back that up? I feel we'll be running SoO by 20th August at the LATEST. There's not much testing left to do, nowhere near close to more than another month.
    My apologizes, meant to put a "just imo" that sentence but I was a bit rushed this afternoon. Not confirmed at all. 20th is also a possibility.

More gear won't help you not wipe during transitions. Lei Shen is 100% execution with 540+ ilvl.