Internet + HD + Monitor + Cable Questions...

Hey guys, multiple questions here.

First off, I'm looking for a new Hard Drive (I only have a 64GB SSD, and a 1TB external). Iamanerd recommended this for me, but I really don't know what I'm looking for, spec wise, other than capacity and RPM. This would mainly house my Steam library, and random stuff. Mainly Steam and games and what-not, and my

Secondly, I'm looking for a cable that can connect to my HD-capatable TV, to my PC (mainly for Steam's "Big Picture" mode). Will literally any HDMI cable work?

Thirdly, what type of 21-23 inch monitor would you guys recommend? I'm tired of using my old monitors. I would need two, if that matters. I remember being recommended a specific Dell monitor a while ago, but that was a while ago, and it didn't have HDMI capacity, which turns me off (but not that big of a deal).

Finally, I may or may not be without internet for a month-plus, because I've got to move out to a rural area. What should I investigate in regards to ISPs/services? I've looked into Comcast and DSL companies, that won't work. I've looked into companies such as succeed.net, and they can't establish line of sight with their towers, so that's a no-go as well. Am I doomed to get satellite internet? And that's going to be terrible for online gaming, I assume. I'll hate it, but I need to be able to at the very least, chat with friends among Steam, browse mmo-champ, etc. I can limit what I download...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    First off, I'm looking for a new Hard Drive (I only have a 64GB SSD, and a 1TB external). Iamanerd recommended this for me, but I really don't know what I'm looking for, spec wise, other than capacity and RPM. This would mainly house my Steam library, and random stuff. Mainly Steam and games and what-not, and my
    seems decent. compare prices and see how the Western Digital Caviar Black or Caviar Blue are doing. it should have at least 7200rpm and SataIII.

Secondly, I'm looking for a cable that can connect to my HD-capatable TV, to my PC (mainly for Steam's "Big Picture" mode). Will literally any HDMI cable work?
    Yes, HDMI = HDMI ... as long as you don't have a mini-HDMI slot on your graphics card everything should be fine.

Thirdly, what type of 21-23 inch monitor would you guys recommend? I'm tired of using my old monitors. I would need two, if that matters. I remember being recommended a specific Dell monitor a while ago, but that was a while ago, and it didn't have HDMI capacity, which turns me off (but not that big of a deal).
    i use an ASUS VS248H, and i really love that monitor. depending on what you mainly do some people might suggest the Dell UltraSharp Series which is an IPS Panel (Asus VS248H is TP panel) ... IPS has slower response times (you won't notice them unless you're playing really really fast shooters) but therefore have better colours and contrast.

concerning your internet problem i have no clue since i'm not from your country

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    seems decent. compare prices and see how the Western Digital Caviar Black or Caviar Blue are doing. it should have at least 7200rpm and SataIII.
    Will do. I know about the 7200RPM and capacity, I will look for SataIII -- although I have little knowledge of Sata.

Yes, HDMI = HDMI ... as long as you don't have a mini-HDMI slot on your graphics card everything should be fine.
    Fairly confident what I'm looking at is a regular HDMI slot.

i use an ASUS VS248H, and i really love that monitor. depending on what you mainly do some people might suggest the Dell UltraSharp Series which is an IPS Panel (Asus VS248H is TP panel) ... IPS has slower response times (you won't notice them unless you're playing really really fast shooters) but therefore have better colours and contrast.
    I don't, really. I do play Team Fortress 2 a lot, but other than that, no other shooters (well, no online shooters). Sounds like I want an IPS, then?

concerning your internet problem i have no clue since i'm not from your country
    Fair enough, thanks for the advice!

Deleted
    Sata II or III is irrelavant for mechanical Hard drives.

If you're going to be loading games off of the HDD then I recommend getting a WD Black drive, they're more expensive but they're also more reliable and faster. Do you really need more than 1TB? If not then I'd pick this one:

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB $85

If you need 2TB+ then the Seagate is better $/GB. Perhaps a decent compromise capacity/speed would be this:

Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM $80

I'm not certain about your budget for monitors but here are a few decent ones with different price range, all with HDMI:

Asus VS239H-P $170 (HDMI+DVI, not amazing but will get the "job done" so to speak)

Asus PB238Q ~$200 (HMDI+DVI+Displayport, Height adjustment, I'd recommend this one of the cheaper ones)

Asus MX239H ~$228 (2xHDMI, different design)

Asus PA248Q $255 if you use the MIR and deal, ends 7/22 (24", HDMI+DVI+Displayport, Height adjustment, 16:10, Google 16:10 vs 16:9 if you're not sure what it is)

Asus VS24AH-P $227 (24" 16:10 HDMI+DVI)
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-07-20 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Sata II or III is irelavant for mechanical Hard drives.
    Would you mind explaining what Sata, errm, is? As if I was an idiot (I am).

If you're going to be loading games off of the HDD then I recommend getting a WD Black drive, they're more expensive but they're also more reliable and faster. Do you really need more than 1TB? If not then I'd pick this one:
    I'm not sure I "need" more than 1TB, but my Steam Library is quickly filling up (at least 400GB); if I can justify the extra cost, I'd like 2TB. And yes, the large majority of what I need the HD for is for games and loading.

I'm not certain about your budget for monitors but here are a few decent ones with different price range, all with HDMI:
    I don't really have one. At this point, I just got a job, and this is pretty much my first paycheck, so I kinda wanna go big. I see you're only linking Asus, I take it you like that brand?
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2013-07-20 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    Well I still recommend WD hard drives and Black edition for loading games and the reliability but at 2TB+ it's hard to beat the $/GB of the Seagate, your choice.

As for SATA Google is your friend, but in short it's the port that transfers the data from the drive to your motherboard/system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

The speed of SATA III exceeds the speed mechanical drives deliver that's why SATA II or III is irrelevant.

I do like Asus but that's besides the point, the ones I linked are just the best, in my opinion, around that price range. Are you looking for something else or anything these are missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Well I still recommend WD hard drives and Black edition for loading games and the reliability but at 2TB+ it's hard to beat the $/GB of the Seagate, your choice.
    Can you give me an estimate of how much slower it'd be? I assume it wouldn't be that much, would it?

As for SATA Google is your friend, but in short it's the port that transfers the data from the drive to your motherboard/system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

The speed of SATA III exceeds the speed mechanical drives deliver that's why SATA II or III is irrelevant.
    Thanks for the handy link. I'll read up on it.

I do like Asus but that's besides the point, the ones I linked are just the best, in my opinion, around that price range. Are you looking for something else or anything these are missing?
    I honestly don't know what I'm looking for, I just know 21 inch-ish is what I'm looking for, size wise. Other than that, all I know to look for is the ms response time... I was just curious as to why you like Asus; I'm not too familiar with them. What makes them a good brand (in your opinion)? In terms of something missing, no, I'm not particularly looking for anything specific (because of the aforementioned lack of knowledge).

Deleted
    HDD:

The Seagate 7200.14 (the one you linked) is actually decently fast from what I can tell, overall the Black drive is maybe 10% faster but the main point is reliability which is also why WD gives you a 5 year warranty compared to the 1-2 years on the Seagate drive. If you think you're going to fill up an extra 600GB anytime soon then I guess go for 2TB.

Monitors:

Ignore that they're ASUS I'm saying the ones I linked you are the best within the price range with HDMI support and 23-24" in my opinion, not because of their name. Dell, LG, Eizo, NEC makes good monitors as well just not many choice around that price range in the US right now. A lot of brands actually have LG internals.

Here is a list of 23-24", IPS, HDMI, feel free to read reviews on any monitor that you might be interested in. Unless you're playing super fast paced shooters and/or something on competitive level the response time isn't super important. You kinda have to read actual reviews to get a more precise measure of it's performance. Here is one of the Assu PA248Q:

Asus PA248Q ProArt Monitor Review

Take a look at the things the mention that are important or worthwhile mentioning and compare to other you might like. 23" is cheaper and usually slightly worse in terms of quality (worse, not bad) compared to their 24" counterpart. 1 inch isn't a lot but there is a noticeable difference. I have a 23" LG IPS and while I really like it I still kinda wish I had paid a little extra for a 24" model.