10+ Year Old Account

task manger not picking up all my cpu cores

In task manager it is telling me that my CPU only has 2 core although it has 4:
    Task Manager:

Amd overdrive(proof that it has 4 cores):

Specs:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Processor

Looks like Windows 8 treats AMD's modules the same way it treats Intel's Hyper Threading.

AMD's marketing reports number of integer cores as the number of cores; Windows defines this as number of "logical processors". There are two integer cores per "module"; Windows considers number of modules "true" cores. In an AMD FX CPU, two logical processors in a module share several resources including: L2 Cache and FPU.

According to Google, Microsoft decided to change the way physical cores and logical processors are defined in Windows 8.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-07-21 at 01:12 AM.

Deleted
    That's because it doesn't actually have 4 real cores, much like Intel's Hyperthreading, the CPU has 2 cores running 4 threads.

Nice temps 18.8° on both cores..

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Nice temps 18.8° on both cores..
    I would be concerned about that. Unless there's an AC pointed at it, the sensors are probably malfunctioning. (If the OP has a cooling set up that allows it to be cooled less than ambient, it was wasted on that chip.)

18.8°C is around 66°F for those not metrically inclined.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNewbie View Post
    I would be concerned about that. Unless there's an AC pointed at it, the sensors are probably malfunctioning. (If the OP has a cooling set up that allows it to be cooled less than ambient, it was wasted on that chip.)

I just tried to run my CPU at 100% power for about 5 min and it temp went up to about 60°C and seemed to be going up, though i have yet to have issue with the CPU, also thanks for explaining to me how the CPU cores work.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNewbie View Post

AMD doesn't report "real" temperatures like Intel does.

Also, CPU temperature sensors measure "distance to TJ Max" and is largely unaccurate for large values but exceptionally accurate for values near TJ Max.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php