Buying new CPU, is it better?

Now I know a fair bit about Computers, but Im alil lacking the knowledge when it comes to CPU's.

At the moment I'm running off an AMD Athlon X2 64 2.6GHz Dual Core.
    Iv had it for a few years now and I think its finally beginning to pack up on me.
    I have been looking on Trademe, (Nz version of Ebay) and the one I'm looking to get is AMD Athlon II X2 270 Processor 3.4GHz 2MB Cache. I want to know if its better than the one I already have. I know mine is 2.6 GHz and the new one is 3.4GHz, but I'm still alil unsure. Btw my motherboard can only handle AM2 slot CPUs.

Moved to sub-forum.

x2 270 is 4-5 years newer than x2 64 series Athlons so it will be faster, really hard to say how much faster though since x2 64's are so ancient tech those aren't really compared to more modern processors anywhere that I know of. If you can, you should rather get Phenom II x4 940 which is the fastest AM2 processor you can get.

You also need to doublecheck from the motherboard manufacturer's website that the upgrade is actually possible, or if it requires BIOS patching. 4-5 year gap usually don't work without a patch.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it be better? Yes. By a lot? Ehhh... probably not. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure the 270 is an AM3 socket CPU. So you'd need a new board as well.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Do yourself a favor and go Intel

My Motherboard info is here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2NMX_SE_Plus/
    Would the CPU work for my Motherboard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Newp. All the documentation I'm seeing is the 270 is AM3. It also does not support the Phenom II X4 940, likely due to power restrictions. The highest that board would support is a Phenom X4 9450 or an Athlon 64 X2 5050e... Though I would not recommend either. It's time to save up some money for a proper upgrade.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-07-21 at 08:32 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Okay, Thanks for the help

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a spare athlon 64 x2 here I was about to drill a hole in and turn into a keyring (still completely function I just have no use for it) if you want it I can post it over, only thing i'm not sure about is how I can send it without it getting damaged.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Unfortunately proper upgrade means
    - you'll also need to get new RAM (currently have DDR2)
    - drives might be incompatible depending on if you have SATA or PATA HDDs and DVD drive
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    I have a spare athlon 64 x2 here I was about to drill a hole in and turn into a keyring (still completely function I just have no use for it) if you want it I can post it over, only thing i'm not sure about is how I can send it without it getting damaged.
    Dont worry bout it, but cheers for the offer