Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I think the panda was more aimed at a parody of that youtube video of the panda mother getting scared by its baby sneezing. Although obv I can see where the wow 'bashing' could be seen.
    Nah, since MoPs release, they've done several panda related things. The most blatant one was the Storm Legion pre-order campaign where they said they would donate a dollar to a save the panda charity for each pre-order. One of the main CMs still has a panda as his avatar, and they put panda-style mounts in game.

It's deliberate, because they want to attract the WoW mob that dislike the addition of pandaren, or are just disenchanted with WoW in general. If they can attract (and keep) even a tenth of the playerbase that WoW has lost since MoP released, thats a massive boost to their numbers. And like it or not, ads like that are likely to be attractive to the people that hate Pandaren/MoP. There's no coincidence that the people who find it hilarious are usually people who hate WoW or are fiercely loyal to Rift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post
    Nah, since MoPs release, they've done several panda related things. The most blatant one was the Storm Legion pre-order campaign where they said they would donate a dollar to a save the panda charity for each pre-order. One of the main CMs still has a panda as his avatar, and they put panda-style mounts in game.

It's deliberate, because they want to attract the WoW mob that dislike the addition of pandaren, or are just disenchanted with WoW in general. If they can attract (and keep) even a tenth of the playerbase that WoW has lost since MoP released, thats a massive boost to their numbers. And like it or not, ads like that are likely to be attractive to the people that hate Pandaren/MoP. There's no coincidence that the people who find it hilarious are usually people who hate WoW or are fiercely loyal to Rift.
    Aye. WoW bashing in daylight, but fist line in first post is "don't turn this into rift vs. that other game". When Trion themselves do that and want that, etc.

Sheeprift people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Trion are fairly against LFR for the time being. On a recent live stream the Devs said they felt LFR cheapens the experience of raiding.

Seems they are taking the Carbine stance in that Trion are okay with raids being for the 1%.
    As long as they keep Experts (Heroics) then the raiders can keep their crappy raids! I just like to occasionally group up when my husband is at work.

Still waiting on 5.4 in MoP to entice me, but it's just pissing me off more. So playing RIFT for now and LOVING it. I was in Beta, had early access, but stopped because, well, my family kind of got ran over by a tornado in 2011 in Alabama. Sooo, getting back into it after all my friends and hubby dumped WoW.

Plus I <3 my Bahmi Cleric (Defiler/Inquisitor/Justicar)!

If one doesn't enjoy the basic gameplay or concepts of a game there is not a lot of reason to stick around though. Or "suffer through" it all.

What I mean is that if say the mechanics of a Mage or Cleric in Rift don't seem interesting to you at level 10, being level 60 will not change that at all. You'd still operate as a Mage or Rogue at level 10 or whatever.

Gameplay doesn't usually change that dramatically in an MMORPG. And certainly not in Rift.
    There has never been a MMO I have played no matter how bad I felt it was that I quit before level 30. You CANNOT get a feel for the game in the first 10 or 20 levels. I even feel guilty about dumping a game at 30.

And saying a mage at 10 is not different from a mage at 60 is frankly silly. I'll use the Chloro as a good example. You don't really start to even break into the way a chloro actually plays until level 20 or so. And you don't really get a feel for how they work in group play until 40ish. Now I will say that if you don't like theme park MMO's in general than Rift at 60 and Rift at 20? Not gonna change.

So in short no I don't think its acceptable to comment on a game if you have only played 19 levels or less of it at the very least. Its a standard I hold myself to, so its what I would expect of other people if they are attempting to comment on the quality of a game.

As for the ad itself? its not insulting WoW or making fun of WoW. its distinguishing itself from WoW. I know for a fact that many Trion devs played WoW and have a great respect for the game Blizzard worked hard to build, as do I. But its the guy on top of the heap so if your game will inevitably draw comparisons to it, you need to acknowledge that and at least have a bit of fun with it.

The Panda mount was for Rift's release in China. Don't be ridiculous guys. Its only now available here cause of the F2P shop.
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2013-08-12 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    There has never been a MMO I have played no matter how bad I felt it was that I quit before level 30. You CANNOT get a feel for the game in the first 10 or 20 levels. I even feel guilty about dumping a game at 30.
    Nah, that's not true in most cases.

And saying a mage at 10 is not different from a mage at 60 is frankly silly. I'll use the Chloro as a good example. You don't really start to even break into the way a chloro actually plays until level 20 or so. And you don't really get a feel for how they work in group play until 40ish. Now I will say that if you don't like theme park MMO's in general than Rift at 60 and Rift at 20? Not gonna change.
    This is also kinda not true.

Different skills appear as you level- yea, sure. However, the gameplay does not change. If you just don't like the basic gameplay of a particular game unless the gameplay changes- there is no need to level to 100 or spend 100s hours within the game from an enjoyment point of view [there is from investigation/education angle though].

For example; In Rift a mage casts spells by tab targeting a mob, using a number of skills which either have cast times or cast instantly. One travels through the world completing quests that are based on collection, slaughter or protection, etc, etc. Quests often conveniently located in hub-like areas, occasionally found on the ground, etc, etc. Progressing through levels and then gear forever or until the next reset.

That stuff doesn't change because you are level 60 or spent months in game.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-12 at 06:48 AM.

It's deliberate, because they want to attract the WoW mob that dislike the addition of pandaren,
    I don't follow. You're saying they're trying to lure in the people who dislike the addition of Pandaren by...doing panda related things? In what world does that make sense? It's like saying a car company is releasing a new car in blue, to lure in the people who refused to buy another company's car because it was only available in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I don't follow. You're saying they're trying to lure in the people who dislike the addition of Pandaren by...doing panda related things? In what world does that make sense? It's like saying a car company is releasing a new car in blue, to lure in the people who refused to buy another company's car because it was only available in blue.
    It's more likely that pandas are incredibly cute and popular animals and beloved around the world...except for the WoW playerbase.

Nah, that's not true in most cases.

This is also kinda not true.

Different skills appear as you level- yea, sure. However, the gameplay does not change. If you just don't like the basic gameplay of a particular game unless the gameplay changes- there is no need to level to 100 or spend 100s hours within the game from an enjoyment point of view [there is from investigation/education angle though].

For example; In Rift a mage casts spells by tab targeting a mob, using a number of skills which either have cast times or cast instantly. One travels through the world completing quests that are based on collection, slaughter or protection, etc, etc. Quests often conveniently located in hub-like areas, occasionally found on the ground, etc, etc. Progressing through levels and then gear forever or until the next reset.

That stuff doesn't change because you are level 60 or spent months in game.
    You completely ignored most everything I said. Chloro plays completely differently at 20 than at 60. It doesn't even function that much like as a mage as it does at early levels its more of a hybrid with a cleric later on except its largely reactive. Another great example of what I'm talking about is Harbringer. If someone starts at level 10 and takes a mage soul like Stormcaller. Well that has nothing in common with how a harbringer plays which doesn't play much like a mage and rather more like a warrior (tempest or riftblade perhaps). Likewise a Tactician uses largely positional spells which you don't really target at all. Are these outliers? Yes. But thats the point. You don't get a full feel for the game unless you give it a fair shake.

The last paragraph you posted for example is talking about two different issues. The first sentence talks very generally about a mage (which doesn't encapsulate the outliers such as I spoke about) and the last couple sentences are talking about the general play style of a theme park MMO which has nothing to do with Rift in so far as that Rift is no different from WoW, Warhammer etc.

One last thing, back in the day do you think leveling in EQ and DAOC was fun? Not really no. It was frustrating and an often boring/annoying experience. But the endgame was the game. EQ and DAOC both famous for their two (rather different) takes on endgame. Though DAOC did have some PVE endgame it was largely pvp focused. EQ was all about the raiding. But MMO players now are a impatient lot. Someone made the analogy of tv shows or movie that start slow. Best tv show imo The Wire started pretty slow. Not all that brilliant for the first 5 episodes. It builds and builds and in the end its about the journey. MMO's are often the same way.
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2013-08-12 at 01:22 PM.

I liked their "You're not on Azeroth anymore" ad better.
    This one is dull in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I probably should have made it clearer that the panda stuff they've done has always been on the side of lighthearted digs at best, and outright mocking at worst. Like the panda charity, which they did right at the launch of MoP and I'm sure they marketed it as "help save the pandas". Wow puts in pandas as a race, so rift lets you use them as mounts. I assumed that because the thread was about them using a panda in an ad to mock wow that the examples I used would be read as such, but I can see how you'd read it otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    You completely ignored most everything I said. Chloro plays completely differently at 20 than at 60.
    Sure the abilities/skills change. But the process of casting vile spores is the same as casting fireball. That does not change the basic gameplay- one casts skills with a timer or instantly, tab targeting mobs, doing quests, going through a rotation, leveling up to gear up, looking at buffs/debuffs and so on.

That is the basic gameplay of Rift.

Being 60 does not change how the game functions at it's core. If that bores a player they don't have to "suffer through" 30 more levels to be able to say, "Hey, I think this is dull."

The granular process of casting vile spores over void bolt or using a melee or healing skill is immaterial to the basic gameplay. In fact, they really are no different aside from spell effect. Purple bolts vs. green ones, one sword swipe is the same as any other, etc.

One last thing, back in the day do you think leveling in EQ and DAOC was fun?
    I do think they were fun in their time.

Also, I agree. The Wire was among the finest television shows produced.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't hate wow, nor am i fiercely loyal to Rift. Its just funny.

you guys that found this awesomely funny/hilarious sure are easily entertained.

I wish Rift, SWTOR and GW2 had the dignity to advertise and promote their games without trying to talk down, make fun of or outright boast that WoW is shit and they're not. I've played SWTOR, I currently play GW2, I possibly will play Rift in the future. I also play WoW. To compare GW2 to WoW is like comparing Call of Duty to Battlefield. Just because they have guns doesn't mean they're the same game. I imagine Rift is in the same situation.

And if that isn't the case and your game is a clone of another game? Then guess what, your game won't thrive and will die. So the bottom line is this: If you're comparing two games that are vastly different, aka WoW and GW2, WoW and Rift, WoW and SWTOR then you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, you should probably not have made this thread in the first place. You post a video of one game blatently bashing another game, then ask the responses to not turn it into a game vs game thread? Thats like WoW making an advert of Deathwing swatting Zhaitan out of the sky like a fly. Its so obvious it hurts. Its almost cringe worthy.

Please, ad maker guys, be grown ups and don't bash your competition. All you will gain from it is the dickhead players that actually summarize games with stuff like "lol pandas" "lol gw2 sucks" "lol star wars mmo" etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    you guys that found this awesomely funny/hilarious sure are easily entertained.
    I'm not falling out of my chair, but its still humorous. Lighten up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Controversy is good advertising. For better or worse, it is the best way to get your name out there...

Like "built to beat the bends" advert that BMW put out a few years ago. Was good for both vehicle manufacturers. Friendly rivalry is good. I don't see any mean spirited rivalry between Blizz and Trion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Please dont turn this into a Rift VS other game thread, but i just had to share this. Its really funny.
    Huh?

You post a advert clearly having a dig at WoW and you ask to not turn this into a Rift VS other game thread?

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Controversy is good advertising. For better or worse, it is the best way to get your name out there...

Like "built to beat the bends" advert that BMW put out a few years ago. Was good for both vehicle manufacturers. Friendly rivalry is good. I don't see any mean spirited rivalry between Blizz and Trion.
    Its more the fact that it generates the kind of fans / haters that Sony and Microsoft have for their consoles. If your ad generates more of those types, then its a bad ad. Baaaaaaaaaaaad.

No body likes psycho fanboys.

Not only that, but the games aren't even similar. I mean, c'mon. You just can't compare games like Rift and WoW, or GW2 and Rift, or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    Its more the fact that it generates the kind of fans / haters that Sony and Microsoft have for their consoles. If your ad generates more of those types, then its a bad ad. Baaaaaaaaaaaad.

No body likes psycho fanboys.

Not only that, but the games aren't even similar. I mean, c'mon. You just can't compare games like Rift and WoW, or GW2 and Rift, or whatever.
    I am perplexed. Most people would see it as friendly banter, not fan-boyism. Fan boys will be fan boys regardless of advertising.

Also puzzled at how you can't draw a similarity between WoW and Rift? Of course you can - all of them are Hot-Key MMO's.

Please explain how they are different.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-08-12 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I am perplexed. Most people would see it as friendly banter, not fan-boyism.

Also perplexed how you can't draw a similarity between WoW and Rift? Of course you can - all of them are Hot-Key MMO's.

Please explain how they are different.
    Yeah. Obviously theres comparisons, but the actual gameplay is much different. Would you compare COD to BF? Would you compare GW2 to WoW? Yes. They're online games, yes, they're 'mmos' but be real. Gameplay wise, they're not the same. People play GW2 for much different reasons than they play WoW. the same for rift and swtor. The same for BF and COD.

As for the 'friendly banter' its not really the ad guys fault , i guess. Its more the fact that regardless, ridiculous fanboys exist and will ruin anything they attempt to have a joke about, even in a friendly manner. To a WoW fanboy this will look like a challenge from a smaller game. I'm sure in a few seconds i could find you a fanboyish response in this thread. In fact i'll edit it this post when i do.

Edit: On second thought i better not. I don't feel like getting into an internet battle with someone fiercely loyal to a game

Oh and i guess i should explain how they are different. Heres a few points

- In WoW you have 30-40 keys, most of which are used maybe 1-3 times every 10 minutes. Some every 1 hour, some maybe once a day. Some only on one boss. In Rift you have far less keys. Used almost always in every fight.
    - In WoW you select your specilization and change random passive and cd spells. In Rift you build your entire spec from the ground up. You don't click a button and get everything
    - In WoW you spend the first few weeks of playing just grinding to 90. Your goal isn't to have fun prior to that, for a lot of players, as prior to 90, the game is dead. In 'new' mmos, the focus is on leveling and end game. For example in GW2, You can quite happily enjoy most of the games content without being lvl 80.
    - In WoW when a new patch or expansion comes out, the previous stuff becomes absolete. In other MMOs, the new stuff becomes the very last endgame goal, the previous stuff becomes the journey to reach that goal.

This is just from very limited knowledge of Rift. If this had been a thread about GW2 (Which has also been compared to WoW.) then i could of gave you a few dozen points.

I think you get my point anyway. Just because your game contains swords or spells or is an MMO, doesn't mean its anything like other MMOs.
    Last edited by Sliske; 2013-08-12 at 03:15 PM.