1) What's your mage's name, realm(US/EU/etc), and current ilvl?
Zilotu, US-Stormrage, 543(?)
2) What specs have you completed at least one fight in Tier 14 in?
All at least once, was mostly frost for 5.0 and arcane for 5.1 though.
3) Tier 15?
Frost for every fight besides the one Ra-Den kill I've been in.
4) If numbers were not an issue, what spec would you play?
Frost. It's the most satisfying for me. Fire just brings out all the rage in me with the crit shenanigans and arcane is just a sloppy spec in it's current state with level 90 talents.
5) If you could sacrifice spec diversity to have the same scaling across all 3 specs to allow for true choice in thematics, would you be okay with that? If not, would you be okay with it as a temporary solution?
Not really, I feel we need more spec diversity.
6) If you were against the idea presented in #5 (or if you were for it, give any opinion): Would you rather true spec diversity, but the requirement that you change specs for appropriate fights? Would this be more appealing if all gear worked for all specs, but your mage/frost/molten armor compensated for the scaling?
Depends. If I have to put up with fires RNG or arcanes sloppiness, probably not. They need to change fire so it's not so reliant on crit (which would remove the insane scaling) and just revamp arcane again because the penalty of being a 100% immobile spec just doesn't work in this day and age. If they fixed that, I would be happy to switch on a fight-by-fight basis.
7) If you could change only one thing about the mage class overall, what would it be?
Since Level 90 talents is an obvious one, I'd say scaling (fire too good, frost absolute garbage). Hard to decide which one is a bigger issue.