Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    1) What's your mage's name, realm(US/EU/etc), and current ilvl?
    Israfael @ Mazrigos, 536

2) What specs have you completed at least one fight in Tier 14 in?
    Fire till the Friday hotfix, then i put mage on hold and went offtank because of guild needs (still played fire in LFR)

3) Tier 15?
    Frost (both normal and hc), few bosses as fire on normal

4) If numbers were not an issue, what spec would you play?
    Cata-style Fire or Frost with pet freeze / hard hitter-DF

5) If you could sacrifice spec diversity to have the same scaling across all 3 specs to allow for true choice in thematics, would you be okay with that? If not, would you be okay with it as a temporary solution?
    No, we already lost much of diversity and versatility in Cata->MoP transition

6) If you were against the idea presented in #5 (or if you were for it, give any opinion): Would you rather true spec diversity, but the requirement that you change specs for appropriate fights? Would this be more appealing if all gear worked for all specs, but your mage/frost/molten armor compensated for the scaling?

I'd have no qualms about changing specs per fight basis as our hunters usually do (with the same stat weights etc), it would be only refreshing. Not sure about armors, now it seems like an artificial buff that could be baked in specs (as theres no need to conserve mana on long fights, or recieve less physical / magical damage on heavy inc-dmg fights). Overall, i didnt like MoP changes even a little bit as they removed many things that allowed devs to fine tune and tweak specs without going all-hotfix on us.

7) If you could change only one thing about the mage class overall, what would it be?
    Return fire to pre-mop state with fixed + crit% modifiers and get rid of CM.

Belzin, Sargeras US, 544.
    Started t14 as frost, once I got some gear I went fire until the big nerf, then Arcane.
    3) Tier 15?
    Fire, tried frost a couple times, and arcane a couple times.
    Fire
    5) If you could sacrifice spec diversity to have the same scaling across all 3 specs to allow for true choice in thematics, would you be okay with that? If not, would you be okay with it as a temporary solution? Negative. I think we need spec diversity, even with scaling issues.

6) If you were against the idea presented in #5 (or if you were for it, give any opinion): Would you rather true spec diversity, but the requirement that you change specs for appropriate fights? Would this be more appealing if all gear worked for all specs, but your mage/frost/molten armor compensated for the scaling? The idea is sound. I would already switch specs if the fights called for it. In my current gear fire is just fine on 95% of the fights.

7) If you could change only one thing about the mage class overall, what would it be?
    I think the 90 talents need to be redone. I think they are clunky and hardly feel "mage-like" to me. I'm not sure of what I would want them replaced with though.

Deleted
    Vynkasmyn, EU-Dun Modr, 515

Arcane and Fire

3) Tier 15?
    Arcane, Fire and Frost

Scorchweaving arcane was awesome, Fire is getting smooth now that I have almost 40% crit and probably frost would be the prefered one.

5) If you could sacrifice spec diversity to have the same scaling across all 3 specs to allow for true choice in thematics, would you be okay with that? If not, would you be okay with it as a temporary solution?
    All 3 warlocks are balanced and they feel different and diverse. They just need to work on the specs as they did with warlock's.

6) If you were against the idea presented in #5 (or if you were for it, give any opinion): Would you rather true spec diversity, but the requirement that you change specs for appropriate fights? Would this be more appealing if all gear worked for all specs, but your mage/frost/molten armor compensated for the scaling?
    Bring the player, not the spec. All should have tools to shine (if player correctly) in all situations and keep the dmg meters competitive. Winning just by spamming one button should not be viable.

Lack of "spec mechanics".
    Last edited by mmoc64d91a2d32; 2013-07-23 at 05:21 PM.

Hanodar, Stormrage-US, 540.

Arcane/Frost. Neither as current content, too busy tanking for Ak.

3) Tier 15?

Arcane/Fire/Frost

All three. I enjoy the flexibility of being able to play any spec, and love all three specs.

Spec diversity is far and away the more important of the two. Though it needn't necessarily come from playstyle or thematics over the execution of the spec and the way the spells function and the damage itself is achieved. That said, as a temporary measure it would be fine. So long as it was in fact very temporary. (one tier perhaps)

I wouldn't mind switching specs, so long as it wasn't a Dragon Soul situation. i.e. "Fire is better all across the board and the other two specs suck. Oh yeah, go Arcane for Spine so you have to reforge anyway."

Gear normalization would ease things, seeing as how hybrid caster specs were given some love in the form of the spirit conversion. Scaling it wouldn't be necessary if the stat differences weren't quite so enormous.

That said, you would be surprised at what you can pull as a mage currently with non-optimal stats. Give mastery fire a whirl on the PTR. With enough crit to support it, combustions are hilarious.

We've discussed this at length in private, and it's hard to choose a single thing. I have no doubt that many concerns are already being worked on, or reworked, or iterated. If I could change one thing and have it implemented today, I'd love to see the additional inverse mana adept implemented. An amount of Haste (or insert stat here) equal and inversely proportional to Mana Adept.

In BC, you hovered near empty and tried to have an empty mana pool the moment the fight ended. In Wrath, you did much the same, supported by external mana cooldowns, because no one else cared about mana. (hellooooo innervate) In Cata, you burned low, evocated and hovered near max. The handling of AB stacks/charges is different but the mana control, the choice was still there.

Much of that choice was eliminated in MoP, and while I enjoyed the feel of Arcane leveling to 90, at 90 the talents killed it. Scorch weaving was fun from a mashing buttons perspective, but terribly imbalanced and made mana adept less interesting. And currently, dumping your mana feels less powerful that it ever has, since the advent of arcane blast.

I love this game, and I love this class. Most of the issues people will cite are known. Widely. The level 90 talents are constraining, the bomb tier is overwhelming (fight design is as much of a culprit as the tier, though), masteries are coming down around our ears and scaling is all over the board between our specs. All of these have a voice. I'm proud of mage, as a class, coming together here. We're reaching a level of cohesion that transcends specs and with that perhaps we can unify our voices into one that is heard.

But, in all of this, in the sea of concerns and feedback, I can't help but feel that poor Mana Adept has lost its way. I've gotten a bit off topic here, and far more verbose than I intended. I'll end this with a shout box quote.

Add an inverse effect to Mana Adept. Give me back my math!

P.S. And a big thank you to everyone posting here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intervir, Azralon@US, 542

All specs

3) Tier 15?
    All specs

Fire

No

Yes

My main concern is the lv-90 tier talent. It adds no fun to the gameplay. They are just maintence buffs. Also, I feel cheated to have to change all my gameplay on every patch (example: arcane on 5.1). We do need a better simulation/workout into our class to avoid ninja-fixes on live (yep, I hate what they did on 5.1 with us). It seems to me, as a player, that the dev team do not understand the mage class completely (arcane with 6 stacks camping, as an example).

Malon; Wildhammer-EU; 535.

Arcane; Fire

3) Tier 15?
    Frost; Fire

Currently Frost

No, I feel spec diversity is a very important issue.

As long as reforging and regemming wasn't required, I'd be ok with this.

This is a really tough one. Increasing Arcane movement, helping Fire at lower ilvls (there must be some sort of solution for the Critical Mass issue), helping Frost at higher ilvls...I'm sure our Level 90 talents will be changed some the next expansion so that's not a problem for me.

Actually, I think the main annoyance I have with the class at present (pre-5.4) is our AoE rotation. This is minor, as very few bosses have called on us to do true AoE (Flamestrike etc) in Mists, rather than cleaving. Still, I feel our spells are awkward, clunky...whatever you want to call it. The 'rotation' isn't clearly defined; it's really FS, then fillers (Orb/IL cleaves, DoT spreading, Barrage cleaving or Blizzard/AEx) and if we can't freeze stuff it's gutted. Frost is great once every minute with Frozen Orb, but Flamestrike and Blizzard need more defined roles. Maybe they could be spec-specific (Arcane would need a ranged AoE, in that case)?

---------

Now, as for broader class-based concerns:
    * Arcane is pigeonholed into taking RoP, as Fire is into PoM. The need to use RoP is massively limiting to the Arcane playstyle, and Fire's reliance on PoM is just annoying; I enjoy Blazing Speed a great deal - let me use it!
    * The way Arcane plays, as a turret spec, is out of date. Bosses need movement, and the inability to cope with that is a serious limitation.
    * Our WE is like a walking (floating?) DoT. We have NO interaction with it at all, aside from the occasional Freeze. Please, give us something to use. Something that affects our rotation would be preferred.
    * Our utility is massively lacking compared to some classes. Other pures have had helpful group spells added - Smoke Bomb is a fantastic raid cooldown. Why can't we get something similar? An AoE Ice Barrier. A targeted Ice Block. Mass Blink!
    * I don't mind Alter Time eating procs so much, but the big one is Hero. Is there any way to exclude it, or at least make AT return us FULLY to the state we were in before it was cast - i.e. clear the Exhausted debuff? This is by far my largest (common) annoyance at the moment.
    Last edited by Malon the Mage; 2013-07-23 at 08:18 PM.

Silvermage - US Kel'Thuzad - 532

Fire and Frost

3) Tier 15?

Frost

For me it is more about how it plays if numbers are not an issue. Then it is whichever is the most fun.

No. Scaling issues exist because Blizzard refuses to uncouple PvP world from the PvE world. We get temporary solutions all the time, from
    expansion to expansion and from patch to patch. So Yes.

6) If you were against the idea presented in #5 (or if you were for it, give any opinion): Would you rather
    true spec diversity, but the requirement that you change specs for appropriate fights? Would this be more appealing
    if all gear worked for all specs, but your mage/frost/molten armor compensated for the scaling?

No, a given spec requires more than an Armor change, it is also Gems, Reforges, Enchants and even the
    specific piece of gear. I don't see Blizzard stepping away from that model. Again, I believe the real issue is Blizzards steadfast
    refusal to separate PvP from PvE.

A resource system unique to each spec, which would kill the 90 talents as a consequence because those are all about managing
    mana. The 15% damage bump exists solely to mandate their use.
    Last edited by gallamann; 2013-07-23 at 06:31 PM.

Frostyspeed, Terokkar EU, 542/543

Frost/Fire/Arcane

3) Tier 15?
    Frost/Fire/Arcane

All 3.

Hell no.

Spec diversity is the reason i play mage. Personally, i think ditch the different armor bullshit, or atleast make each spec buff one armor over the rest soo far that it'd be very abstract to choose the 'non-corresponding' armor.

Im not great with ideas, but here goes:
    Frost:
    1. Bring back Deep Freeze dmg for Frost.
    2. No Dots, the whole point of frost is no dots imo; Make Frost Bomb the only viable choice for competitive raiding, but make Brain Freeze proc from other things so we're not completely starved from them; but also make Frost Bomb not 100% chance to proc it. Something like: Frostbomb has 50% chance to proc BF when it explodes, Frostbolt has an 8% chance, Deep Freeze has a 100% chance (seeing as its a 30s cd, seems ok), Ice Lance has a 10% chance.
    3. Change water elemental, make it more diverse, maybe give us a spell for water ele thats not used in PVP but used in PVE, something dynamic like: "Grants 2 fingers of frost, increases damage done of next finger of frost by 50%. 30s CD

Arcane:
    1. Arcane Missiles while moving, easy.
    2. I have no problems against Lv90 talents (except IW), but make RoP follow you when moving, but reduced effect by lets say, 75%, hell even 100% if needed. Point is you still have to watch your movement but you dont have to re-cast RoP. Other solution is to make RoP instant and off-global.
    3. Make arcane missiles stack up till 10? like Molten Core for demon, so its 'another resource' kinda thing. This will work really well because theres still an RNG factor and it adds a planning factor into arcane, makes it a bit more interesting to play, as its already kinda dull.
    5. I love Nether Tempest for arcane, arcane is a very fast-paced spec imo, and the way nether tempest ticks is awesome, ridiculously fast but not big ticks

Fire:
    I actually have few complains for fire, i really like the spec, but it gets a bit boring at high crit levels, Fireball -> pyro is half your rotation at high gear.
    Combustion variation is ridiculous, bring back dots affecting combustion (Cata design). I would like to say some small resource that allows to insta cast pyros? or charge up pyros, like as mentioned, 'Heat'. So every 1 fireball you get 1 heat bar (max 10?), Each increasing dmg done of pyro by lets say 10%? This would level out RNG (lower gear = more fireballs so pyros are stronger), and it would nerf higher end fire (more crit = less fireballs = not a lot of Heat per pyro). Ofc would have to nerf pyro dmg, by maybe 15% or so. I think thats acceptable.

Thanks for reading, some ideas arent that great like the Heat, as that would be a complicated system (especially if only 1 spec gets that extra resource). Not a lot of problems with fire, but Arcane and Frost ideas are pretty needed imo.

TL;DR - Read it!

Deleted
    Iaretall @ Khadgar EU, 544/545

Played all 3 specs in tier 14. Frost at start with no gear > Fire untill 5.1 nerf > arcane till 5.2

3) Tier 15?
    Fire except for last week, where I played arcane to practice if it's best spec for 5.4 (Just in case).

Arcane. It's been the spec I perform best in compared to other mages. Fire is very easy to play, mainly comes down to managing trinkets and getting lucky with them. Frost is incredibly boring so I'd avoid that one

No.

I like the idea of having to be competent in all 3 specs in order to be successful as a raiding mage, varying for each fight, but this will never happen due to the difficulty of keeping all 3 specs equal and still having some specs be better on some fights without those specs being completely overpowered in the areas they excel at.

More interesting L90 talents. Make it more of a situational talent, like the locks L90 talents rather than a straight DPS increase across the board.

Deleted

Jamesmarcus, EU-Silvermoon, ilvl 548

All three specs.

3) Tier 15?

All three specs.

Frost.

In my eyes, diversity has already been sacrificed. All three specs offer very little in terms of differentials; Frost simply doesn't scale and is Proc Tennis (As it has been for the last 3 expansions), Arcane is "Don't move" (As it has been for the last... 3 expansions), and Fire is a spec that gains in power towards the end of an expansion (As it has been for the last... 3 expansions). Personally, I'd be glad for even one spec to require heavy watching and skill to play (If frost scaled, I'd say it takes a bit more to master frost properly).

Well, this is the problem. As a mage during T14, I had to switch to Arcane due to Scorchweaving. My preferred spec has been fire, always will be, simply because I'm often leading or doing extra tasks, so I like to cast while moving. I was hoovering up haste gear to start with, as frost. Then to fire, hit/crit. Then Arcane's Scorchweaving was there, so then back to Mastery. It's far too much. The whole 'appeal' for fire now is that it takes a niche market in gear. In Not So Serious, most items are loot councilled. Hit/Crit items are really the priority of the fire mage. This is great for playing fire properly, but it kettles you in to playing the spec, unless you can take off-pieces that noone wants. Personally, I celebrate that I coin the other items on Ra-den for this. It's pretty annoying to see your DPS drop a noticable amount due to the gear you equip being BiS for one spec, and then sub-par for the other two. The mage spec urgently needs homogenization in terms of this gear. Perhaps not a straight line, but enough so there's not a noticable dip in the prioritized stats. I enjoy playing all three specs - Arcane not really so much, but I'd take fire on pretty much any fight (Including Ra-den), simply because I don't wish to switch to far inferior gear and stats for another spec. That and Fire does the job just fine.

More interactive talents for a mage. Every 'tier', there's generally a clear winner. I'd love to see the Level 90 talents offering us situational abilities on some fights. Buffing our AoE. Even our movement. Something better than pushing a button every minute. Another personal gripe is Cauterize; I'd love the actual amount it can 'go' to to be said in the tooltip.

Deleted
    (sorry for my bad englisch, it´s not my native language)

Dear mages,

after ~260 days / played with my mage and various ups and downs I make myself some thoughts about the current situation.

I am absolutly aware that the mage is everything else than weak (my DPS based on my gear is ok), but i am not a friend of this creepy procc mechanics and our (caution: irony) brilliant T6 talents.

Who hasn´t experienced this before? The boss (Jin´Rokh as an example) goes to a phase which he gets increased dmg (the puddles).

We play a perfect rotation and use all our cooldowns right (hero, proccs, pots with timeshift, what ever.. you know what i´d like to told you). Everything runs (theoretically) perfect, but we don´t get the required crit and so our dots run out or run reduced. But you have to use your combustion, because otherwise it´s not ready in the next puddle.
    Or we just don´t get two crits in a row, no matter what you do (yes.. i know all the theories of how to get more instant pyros)

Or that we are forced to stand around like an idiot for a couple of seconds just because we have to cast an evocation (if we like it or not) or are forced to stand in a damn rune.
    In both cases, this means that we have to cast the crap again if we have to move (and our dots run out as well). Is supposed to happen every now and again in the current content ...

Playing my paladin alt brought me why the idea of a different mechanism

This idea could delete the lucky procc mechanics, and on the other hand, one could create such useful T6 talents. This is only a first though, So please feel free to criticize me.

New resource - sparks (magic fragments MylittlePwny collection stickers .. whatever you prefer)

Basics:

Mages are now able to build up to 10 sparks and use them according to your specialization.

Arcane:

arcane blast – produces 2,5 sparks (sparks replace ab debuff 1:1)
    arcane missiles - reduce sparks by 4
    arcane barrage – reduce sparks by 2 and clears debuff if only 2 sparks left

(No change to the game mechanics, but less proccbased)

Fire:

Fireball - produces 2 sparks
    Infernoblast – produces 1 spark
    Scorch – produces 1 spark

Each spark reduces the cast time of the next pyroblast by 16,67% (6 sparks = 1 instant pyro)
    Infernoblast again serves to propagate dots. Combustion should be redesigned, but I have no good idea for it at the moment)

Frost:

Frostbolt - produces 2 sparks
    Ice lance - produce 1 Spark

Each spark reduces the cast time of the next frostfirebolt by 16,67% (6 sparks = 1 instant ffb)

Mage bombs do not produce spark, because they are too differnet in my opinion. (Maybe “mage bombs produce a spark every 15 seconds or whatever)

New T6 talents:

T6 1: 1 Spark reduces the mana cost of your spells by xy% for 6 seconds (12seconds?)
    T6 2: 1 Spark increases magic damage by xy% for 6 seconds (12 seconds?)
    T6 3: 1 Spark increasing your haste rating by xy% for 6 seconds (12 seconds?)

You could e.g. the talents Lay on the respective Specc. So for example reduce of manacosts instead of an increase in the value or the mastery or crit similar.

(At 10 Sparks = 1 minute (2 minutes) buff).

Greets

Mithrio / EU-Blutkessel

1) What's your mage's name, realm(US/EU/etc), and current ilvl? Mithrio / EU-Blutkessel / 528

2) What specs have you completed at least one fight in Tier 14 in? Fire, Arcane

3) Tier 15? Fire

4) If numbers were not an issue, what spec would you play? Fire

5) If you could sacrifice spec diversity to have the same scaling across all 3 specs to allow for true choice in thematics, would you be okay with that? If not, would you be okay with it as a temporary solution? No, all speccs should be different

7) If you could change only one thing about the mage class overall, what would it be? Look up
    Last edited by mmoc4b34c8c7e9; 2013-07-24 at 02:19 PM.

1) What's your mage's name, realm(US/EU/etc), and current ilvl? Truffnstuff, US-Kil Jaeden, 542

2) What specs have you completed at least one fight in Tier 14 in? All three N, Arcane and Frost H (7/16)

3) Tier 15? All three N, Arcane and Frost H (7/13)

4) If numbers were not an issue, what spec would you play? Arcane

5) If you could sacrifice spec diversity to have the same scaling across all 3 specs to allow for true choice in thematics, would you be okay with that? If not, would you be okay with it as a temporary solution? My initial thought was that it depends on which spec were used as the template for a "master" spec, but ultimately I wouldn't want a particular playstyle forced on anyone. Output is rarely different enough for that to be the case right now and that's how it should be. So no.

6) If you were against the idea presented in #5 (or if you were for it, give any opinion): Would you rather true spec diversity, but the requirement that you change specs for appropriate fights? Would this be more appealing if all gear worked for all specs, but your mage/frost/molten armor compensated for the scaling? Yes. Increased diversity and painless spec swapping is definitely preferable.

7) If you could change only one thing about the mage class overall, what would it be? Probably a fire redesign, but frankly I think major changes would do far more harm than good. The mage class is kind of a last bastion of a design philosophy that I happen to strongly prefer to most proposed updates.

Deleted
    Hauhét Kazzak EU 548 Ilvl

All three.

3) Tier 15?
    Frost and Arcane (ra-den only)

Without a doubt Frost, i love the spec very much.

I believe that all specs should have their diversity; their niches are what makes the specs fun. I don't believe a temporary solution is a good idea.

I'd be MORE open to this, as long as specs were manageable and playable without having to revolve around combustion.

Has to be the 90 talents, they're supposed to be fun but instead they're a chore.

Tebla, Us-Cenarius 528

Frost, Arcane.

3) Tier 15?
    Frost for all normal
    Fire after starting heroics

Frost, i love it. I only switched a couple weeks ago for fear of the next tier shutting frost down. I miss the mobility and survivability of frost when playing fire.

No, I cherish the diversity. I would like more i.e. bombs and spells be spec driven.

I would be happy to switch specs like I switch glyphs and talents. I would love to have the same gear work for all 3 as unlikely as that would be.

I would like to have the bombs be spec dependent and work for all trinkets.

Akraen, I would very much like to see a breakdown of the answer to 4 on the front page, if you have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebla View Post

Akraen, I would very much like to see a breakdown of the answer to 4 on the front page, if you have it.
    Yep - I'm going to reveal stats on the other questions as I accumulate the data and come up with the best way to present the data. Don't worry all these questions are by design and this will all get to the devs.

If anyone would like to help me compile all this data that'd help! Right now I'm just spotting trends from #2-6

Wow i don't agree with this at all. Like at all. Bombs are awesome, they added a lot to the class imo.
    If anything, i'd like to see two things adressed:
    1-Tier6 and Arcane are not working well together, as you don't really have a choice. Being forced to run Rune of Power is bad both because it takes the choice away and because RoP is generally awful for almost every encounter.
    2-Fire aoe, i'd like to have the ability to spread fire around like we did on cata. Capping targets for our dot spread is lame. Maybe change the system, but allow us to do some different yet potentially powerful kind of aoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    Wow i don't agree with this at all. Like at all. Bombs are awesome, they added a lot to the class imo.
    Using whichever bomb was most recently buffed doesn't really add much to the class

10+ Year Old Account
    If anything, i'd like to see two things adressed:
    1-Tier6 and Arcane are not working well together, as you don't really have a choice. Being forced to run Rune of Power is bad both because it takes the choice away and because RoP is generally awful for almost every encounter.
    2-Fire aoe, i'd like to have the ability to spread fire around like we did on cata. Capping targets for our dot spread is lame. Maybe change the system, but allow us to do some different yet potentially powerful kind of aoe.
    Your opinion matters just as much as anyone else's - please answer the questionnaire to have your voice heard!

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    Your opinion matters just as much as anyone else's - please answer the questionnaire to have your voice heard!
    Nope, it's ridiculous to beg for a class that was much worse-a dotless class. I don't sign this at all.

Nope, it's ridiculous to beg for a class that was much worse-a dotless class. I don't sign this at all.
    So why did you come into this thread? In one post you list off complaints you have about the class, and the next you belittle the efforts of those of us who are trying to get them fixed. You either don't understand the purpose of this thread, are trolling, or just want to be contradictory for the sake of being contradictory.