Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Raid wide temporal shield as a cool down. Enough said.

1) What's your mage's name, realm(US/EU/etc), and current ilvl?
    Annjera EU-Twillight's Hammer 525 ilvl

2) What specs have you completed at least one fight in Tier 14 in?
    All of them
    3) Tier 15?
    Fire

4) If numbers were not an issue, what spec would you play?
    I love all three mage speccs and I tend to respecc alot but I think I would preffer arcane

5) If you could sacrifice spec diversity to have the same scaling across all 3 specs to allow for true choice in thematics, would you be okay with that? If not, would you be okay with it as a temporary solution?
    No I think we are already lacking spec diversity. I don't understand though why should we sacrifice something when both are important in order to get the right specc feeling.

6) If you were against the idea presented in #5 (or if you were for it, give any opinion): Would you rather true spec diversity, but the requirement that you change specs for appropriate fights? Would this be more appealing if all gear worked for all specs, but your mage/frost/molten armor compensated for the scaling?
    Yes and no. I wouldn't have any problem at all changing speccs for different fights since I like all three of them but armors should be something more defensive.I don't like the direction our armors have taken and this solution would further take them away from what I believe "armor" truly means.I would be a happy mage if they found another way to compensate for the scaling.

7) If you could change only one thing about the mage class overall, what would it be?
    Give arcane true mana/damage control through the use of new spells and change that disturbing mastery it has now.Also give the specc mobility,fun element and new animations.Basically what I am asking is a nice overall Arcane revamp. (Didn't mention the classics which all mages would like to see changed)

Ye that one could be very fun/interesting if designed right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reforge View Post
    This was always the obvious solution to increasing a Mage's raid utility on that talent tier, and honestly, it's a great idea. Healing (Temporal) or Prevention (Barrier) works nicely as a concept. I'd wager there would need to be some tuning done to the numbers or length of the CD (without breaking PVP, not that I particularly care), or 25 mans would stack the hell out of Mages. And let's be honest; stacking of any kind is dumb, be it Warlocks or Mages.

They'd have to make something better than Flameglow, though, because someone would always have to be the 'Flameglow bitch'. And that's not fun.

Any update with this thread Akraen ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, pushing to get some of this in for 6.0, but I don't foresee much changing with Arcane.

Really can't understand why they believe arcane is fine. The rotation is boring as hell, there is no real purpose in what you are doing, you don't really manage your mana, you can't handle movement fights efficiently,you have too few offensive spells and your main nuke doesn't even have an animation. Turn off damage meter and it feels like you are doing nothing as arcane mage right now. The only reason the spec is alive is because of an addon and blizz says its fine.... oh well at least ffxiv begins in 4 days.

Fhizz/546 US Mal'ganis
    Fire, arcane
    Fire, arcane
    no would not be okay with that
    ehh i dont like the idea really, sounds shitty.
    Procs gained in alter time, stay gained other than that i love the mage all 3 specs flow beautifully in my opinion, better than we have been in a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meillassoux View Post
    Really can't understand why they believe arcane is fine. The rotation is boring as hell, there is no real purpose in what you are doing, you don't really manage your mana, you can't handle movement fights efficiently,you have too few offensive spells and your main nuke doesn't even have an animation. Turn off damage meter and it feels like you are doing nothing as arcane mage right now. The only reason the spec is alive is because of an addon and blizz says its fine.... oh well at least ffxiv begins in 4 days.
    Okay lets just hop into this.
    The rotation is boring as hell; not really at all if you ask me, the fire rotation is way more boring than the arcane one, get a good combust manage pyros decently (and its hard to not) and gg top damage meters.

However i do agree with the main nuke spell not having an animation the only reason i stay fire > arcane is because of combustion and how good it feels to burst that huge dps number and really feel like you are burning a boss. And that arcane does have a kind of feel like you're doing nothing, with that being said not boring at all imo.

Also i disagree with not enough offensive spells, fire: fireball, mage bomb, pyro, combustion, scorch arcane: arcane blast, arcane missiles, arcane barrage, arcane power (i counted combustion and although it isn't as fun as combustion i still think it should be counted), mage bomb. (also i might be missing something idk this is all just off hand)

The only reason the spec is alive is because of an addon? What?????? if you mean mage nuggets you're nuts, every spec in the game runs off of weak auras or a weak aura type addon such as drood focus, mage nuggets, clc ret, other things.

I never understood people who said arcane was boring, maybe in firelands but not recently in mop. Scorch weaving was kind of meh to be honest imo. This tier it is a lot better but at the start of 5.2 i started as fire because it was still fairly better (at least to our knowledge) and it kind of snowballed, i had the correct trinkets gear etc and fire would of just been better for me to go. Next tier depending on if the changes stick i will probably be going 50/50 ish for progress and maybe arcane for farm idk for sure yet

I'm assuming you mean Arcanometer? Have fun with ffxiv.
    Good thing Akraen knows how to pick through the bads.

No Mastamage you just assumed that. I meant damage meter. It was just a repetition of the sentence before that one (only thing that makes you feel like you actually do something as arcane is a number). Stop acting superior. Also Fhizz you forgot Inferno Blast but that's not the problem. Fire as a spec has a purpose, building a nice combustion. Even without that spamming insta pyros all the time after a good crit lvl is kinda fun. Arcane though is poor. You just repeat a boring circle while standing on a circle. I pretty much love the arcane theme and the philosophy behind its gameplay. I just find it poorly represented at the moment. It feels like they could work on this model and make it much better (more active mana management tools and more skills that interact with our charges). Of course this is just personal opinion.
    Last edited by Meillassoux; 2013-08-22 at 06:11 PM.

No Mastamage you just assumed that. I meant damage meter. It was just a repetition of the sentence before that one (only thing that makes you feel like you actually do something as arcane is a number). Stop acting superior. Also Fhizz you forgot Inferno Blast but that's not the problem. Fire as a spec has a purpose, building a nice combustion. Even without that spamming insta pyros all the time after a good crit lvl is kinda fun. Arcane though is poor. You just repeat a boring circle while standing on a circle. I pretty much love the arcane theme and the philosophy behind its gameplay. I just find it poorly represented at the moment. It feels like they could work on this model and make it much better (more active mana management tools and more skills that interact with our charges). Of course this is just personal opinion.
    unleashing a turret into a target at 4 stacks twice then unleashing a giant arcane barrage into something is fun imo. And saying it has a purpose doesn't exactly say much while i agree it would be nice to have something like ignite and combustion for arcane would be awesome. But saying you love the philosophy of it but you hate the rotation and gameplay doesn't really make much sense to me, you like the idea behind it but dont actually like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fhizz View Post
    unleashing a turret into a target at 4 stacks twice then unleashing a giant arcane barrage into something is fun imo. And saying it has a purpose doesn't exactly say much while i agree it would be nice to have something like ignite and combustion for arcane would be awesome. But saying you love the philosophy of it but you hate the rotation and gameplay doesn't really make much sense to me, you like the idea behind it but dont actually like it?

How is what he said hard to understand?

Having an idea for something and then actually implementing it and making it work are two different things. The idea of Arcane being masters of raw magic, and manipulators of space and time sound great. The whole thing falls flat on it's face when you see it implemented, and there are restrictive mechanics left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    How is what he said hard to understand?

Having an idea for something and then actually implementing it and making it work are two different things. The idea of Arcane being masters of raw magic, and manipulators of space and time sound great. The whole thing falls flat on it's face when you see it implemented, and there are restrictive mechanics left and right.
    Exactly. Moving is bad, using alot of mana is bad even if that's the opposite of the "Charge mechanic" where you stack charges in order to do more damage and in PvP even casting is limited (arcane spell lock sucks).It's all about limitations. A master of the arcane should have the opposite feeling (in a balanced for the game way ofc). It doesn't feel like we control our mana but like our mana controls us....

10+ Year Old Account
    A reminder for some of the ideas I've had for 6.0. I'll update this again and add some stuff and see if I can reignite some traction before WoD beta.

"None. We will likely work to make the 3 hunter and rogue specs play a little more differently from each other."

Hopefully he's referring to Mages in that statement... Though why didn't he just say "Pures"?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Yès - Silvermoon EU, 551

Frost

3) Tier 15?
    Frost and fire.

Frost, i enjoy the spec very much. Would play arcane/fire more often if they used same stats.

5) If you could sacrifice spec diversity to have the same scaling across all 3 specs to allow for true choice in thematics, would you be okay with that? If not, would you be okay with it as a temporary solution?
    No, specs shouldn't feel the same.

6) If you were against the idea presented in #5 (or if you were for it, give any opinion): Would you rather true spec diversity, but the requirement that you change specs for appropriate fights? Would this be more appealing if all gear worked for all specs, but your mage/frost/molten armor compensated for the scaling?
    If gear worked for all specs, I would change more often between them, but I would still prefer frost.

7) If you could change only one thing about the mage class overall, what would it be?
    Level 90 talents, by far the biggest problem in my opinion.
    For frost, something along the lines of "absorb your water elemental to gain it's abilities", for the ones who dont like our Welly.
    Reworked AOE could also be a thought, it feels awkward on some fights, like green slimes on dark shaman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reforge View Post
    I like this idea, but it sounds a little overpowered
    Last edited by Woop Woop; 2013-11-08 at 05:03 PM.

Bottles, Kel'Thuzad (US), 568 ilvl

Frost/Arcane

3) Tier 15?

Frost/Fire/Arcane

Frost with some arcane mixed in for fun.

I would be ok with it but I beleive that having some diversity is a good thing.

I would rather be able to play the spec that I enjoy on every fight.

***I very strongly dislike the level 90 talents and feel that they make gameplay less fun.***

Fire - I think combustion needs to be changed again. I would rather see a new resource gained from cast spells (more from critical strikes) that can be spent on combustion to do damage. I would also like to see the target limit on combustion spreading removed, and the spread damage adjusted to compensate.

Frost - Water Elemental feels underwhelming at times, perhaps it needs new abilities to make it a more involved part of the frost playstyle instead of having it turret frostbolts with the occasional nova.

Arcane - Would like to see the mastery replaced and go back to the "spend more mana, do more damage" playstyle that it used to have. It would need new spells to accomplish this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mods: This isn't a necro.

I'm wondering if anyone wants to take a read through the OP here and bring to the table your opinion on if feelings are more or less the same, slightly different, or perhaps you now feel the complete opposite as you did from last year. I'd love to test the complacency levels of everyone, I know I hated invocation with passion and then sort of grew to like it. I hated multidotting and... yeah I still hate multidotting. But anyway-- share your thoughts. Never know what types of info we can draw by a comparison through time.

10+ Year Old Account
    No problem. If you want I can also lock this and we can start over in a new thread. All up to your preference.
    My magic will tear you apart.