Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mastery build, when is it enough.

So as of right now, my DK stands are 206% mastery buffed, 176% unbuffed, is there a point at which i need to stop mastery and go for haste?

10+ Year Old Account
    When you aren't squishy.

i think i saw a dk tank from method gemming full crit idk the reasoning but yeah >.>

When you feel you have enough. This will change with your playstyle, group composition etc. I have about 190% mastery unbuffed and feel it is fine for the content I am doing which is the second half of ToT heroics.

When you feel your runes ain't regening fast enough for your blood shield chunk (start progressively reforge for haste till you find YOUR comfortable stat balance, you can't go wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Roguez101 View Post
    i think i saw a dk tank from method gemming full crit idk the reasoning but yeah >.>
    They are parsing.

200% buffed sounds about right if that's all the defense you have.
    Depending on your gear level (and thus stam/armor), haste levels and how well you/your healers perform you can go lower than that though.

Quote Originally Posted by CausalXXLinkXx View Post
    They are parsing.
    It's not just parsing, the difference in 10 mans between a wipe and kill can be the 100-200k more dps you as a tank can push out if you gear and gem haste and crit instead of mastery and stam, if you can survive with 125% shields when buffed might as well do that damage

it really depends i am currently tanking Heroic ToT and i know how much mastery does to my survival, but the amount of mastery can also be too big. i would say get 7,5% hit and expertise before mastery stacking^^ then stack mastery until the point where you find yourself with full stacked mastery in end of fights you should never be able to stack up your mastery shield onto bosses and in current patch most bosses does quite some Physical Damage. but yea the goals i am mainly aiming are as following:

Hit + Expertise to 7,5%
    Mastery (as much as i can get)
    Parry

I dont feel i reached the amount of mastery yet that will make me self sustain and it is a secure way of mitigrating while parry/dodge is a % chance. the reason for me not adding dodge are because you should never stack it but taking a Mastery + Dodge item is better than going Parry and Hit, you can always reforge the Dodge to either hit, expertise or Parry
    Death Knights never fell to Arthas. We are the once to make him fall!

Quote Originally Posted by WtfMike View Post
    So as of right now, my DK stands are 206% mastery buffed, 176% unbuffed, is there a point at which i need to stop mastery and go for haste?
    A lot of it depends on how comfortable you and your healers are with how much damage you are mitigating, some fights I run mastery heavy and some I run haste and crit heavy, you have to find your grove

Quote Originally Posted by Hiboyslol View Post
    It's not just parsing, the difference in 10 mans between a wipe and kill can be the 100-200k more dps you as a tank can push out if you gear and gem haste and crit instead of mastery and stam, if you can survive with 125% shields when buffed might as well do that damage
    Nah they're parsing.
    I highly doubt any of the dks who did 13/13 before 5.3 were going for crit - it's just not doable in sub 530 gear.

I'm going with the following
    7.5% hit and exp
    keep mastery around 200% buffed, after that start stacking haste.

I go with hit (7.5%)>exp (7.5%)>mastery >haste > dodge (it drs slower than parry does atm for me) > parry > crit

rocking 206% unbuffed mastery and 4k haste. and over 30% avoidance to boot (no swordshattering). Granted im 533 but I find this very helpful especially anticipating higher damage in the SoO.

I am at 162% mastery and 20% haste right now, while keeping hit and exp caps, so far I like it, granted we are only 11/12 normal and I'm only 527 ilvl (with legendary back). I ask my healers to keep me updated on how they feel healing is going on myself and so far I'm hearing "easy" from someone who has healed dk tanks from day one, and "scary as sh!t but your get yourself out of it pretty well" from someone who hasn't healed but this x-pac and the guild ran drood/pally tank before myself stepping up into a tank role for them. Skill for dk's at this level seems to be a great factor on how well you can preform, granted there are some parts of raiding I've read and seen that you just cannot get past, but overall class knowledge and how to put yourself in the right spot means more than anything

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Nah they're parsing.
    I highly doubt any of the dks who did 13/13 before 5.3 were going for crit - it's just not doable in sub 530 gear.
    My guild is still progressing, we're 9/13H, I feel so useless doing barely 100k on some fights as a full mastery when my counterpart is doing double or triple that as a prot paly. I know they're in a good place dps wise as a tank right now but just surviving didn't feel like I was doing enough. My equipped gear is 531 and the only fight that I've had to go back to a mastery build was our first kill of Primordius.

i lol at this... i am tanking a few HC bosses on my dk running around in 521 ilvl and 16% haste and 121% shields doing fine, and still sitting on 200-250k bursts and above 110k dps when fights end (patchwerk like)

Mastery -> Haste / Crit -> dodge -> parry is a good way to go, it should also be said that i play 10m, meaning that our "dps" is much more needed than a 25m raid, and for this reason i try to max my dps while still keeeping a bit of survival.
    all my gems are also str / str + crit / haste

i also goes with my OS (standard dps gear) as tanking gear on some bosses where i aint taking that much damage but really i feel i needs the survivability (raiding 25 man) the bosses hits abit harder to match up for the 25 man instead of only 10 and then i needs to be able to sustain that, i came from several 10 man raiding guilds back then i was the lowest damage taken tank we always had and well after switching to 25 i feel i really needs my tanking gear alot more^^

(world top 3 durumu normal blood dps, world top 20 Heroic Twins blood dps)
    Death Knights never fell to Arthas. We are the once to make him fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiboyslol View Post
    I feel so useless doing barely 100k on some fights as a full mastery when my counterpart is doing double or triple that as a prot pally
    Double or triple - what a load of bull....
    Except for extreme circumstances (solo tanking ' n ' stuff) the gap is more like in the 10% range... (and that's 10% in favor of the dk)

Deleted
    Pretty obvious factor that doesnt normally get mentioned is how many healers are you running with, we two healed almost everything on progress including Primordius, Dark Animus, and Lei shen, I wouldnt recommend really dps heavy build in those cases atleast, if we had run with three healers with an additional good healer, probably could have gone full dps build always. So remember to factor in your healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Double or triple - what a load of bull....
    Except for extreme circumstances (solo tanking ' n ' stuff) the gap is more like in the 10% range... (and that's 10% in favor of the dk)
    What would I gain by making that up? When I'm in a full mastery build the prot paly I tank with smokes me on the meters.