PSU making a 'Clicking' noise during gameplay

Ok, so I have a XFX Pro550W 'Core Edition' , and in the last week or so, the damnable thing keeps on making a clicking noise after a few mintues playing warcraft.

When I turn on the computer normally, nothing, I do not hear the clicking. I have read a few articles that blame ball bearings or the fan itself, if so, how do I clean it or test it and try to stop this clicking noise without essentially buggering it up!

It is not incredibly loud, but noticable definately, and the more heavily draining the game is, the louder it is, I can only guess that it is the Fan.

A clicking-sound is generally the ball bearings going out from what i've experienced. You can try cleaning it with canned air but, honestly, once they start clicking, you better start looking for a replacement as it will seize-up sooner or later and you do not want to be stuck with a dead component and not having a replacement-part.

Heavier loads on the PSU make the fan spin faster(at least it should, common sense and all that) to keep that sucker breathing so only makes sense that when it speeds up, the faster the metal (potentially) grinds against itself and the louder it gets.

Went through something similar with a stock cooler on my GPU(barely 6-months old when the problem started) and it started out as a slow click-click that ended up making lovely grinding-sounds when I started playing heavy-load games and after about a month it just flat-out refused to spin up on start-up. I flicked the fan to get it started again but that was only a band-aid solution that gave me enough time to order a replacement-fan and that baby has been humming along nicely for damn near 5-years now.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    A clicking-sound is generally the ball bearings going out from what i've experienced. You can try cleaning it with canned air but, honestly, once they start clicking, you better start looking for a replacement as it will seize-up sooner or later and you do not want to be stuck with a dead component and not having a replacement-part.

Heavier loads on the PSU make the fan spin faster(at least it should, common sense and all that) to keep that sucker breathing so only makes sense that when it speeds up, the faster the metal (potentially) grinds against itself and the louder it gets.

Went through something similar with a stock cooler on my GPU(barely 6-months old when the problem started) and it started out as a slow click-click that ended up making lovely grinding-sounds when I started playing heavy-load games and after about a month it just flat-out refused to spin up on start-up. I flicked the fan to get it started again but that was only a band-aid solution that gave me enough time to order a replacement-fan and that baby has been humming along nicely for damn near 5-years now.

Cheers, Ill get one of my old folks to have a look at it (Computer whizz), but it is good to at least tell him roughly what is going on with it. That is a damn shame! Brand spanking new, barely 6-10 months old PSU, :/

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeLions View Post
    Cheers, Ill get one of my old folks to have a look at it (Computer whizz), but it is good to at least tell him roughly what is going on with it. That is a damn shame! Brand spanking new, barely 6-10 months old PSU, :/
    Opening the PSU will void the warranty.

RMA the unit with XFX.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Opening the PSU will void the warranty.

RMA the unit with XFX.
    Allright I shall do so!