Fanmade apps - Copyright violations?

Counting on you here, champions.

My friend got this idea for a simple card game with a lotr theme. It is pretty much done on paper and works great, so I figured I might try my luck at turning it into an app. However, I know next to nothing about copyrights. Would using obvious names, references, scenes and pictures violate any such laws?

Go light, if the answer seems obvious to you

Yes. Why not change the names? Worked for 50 Shades of Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    Counting on you here, champions.

My friend got this idea for a simple card game with a lotr theme. It is pretty much done on paper and works great, so I figured I might try my luck at turning it into an app. However, I know next to nothing about copyrights. Would using obvious names, references, scenes and pictures violate any such laws?

Go light, if the answer seems obvious to you
    You going to make money on it?

The answer to your question and my question is the same. There is slightly more to it than that, but if you attempt to sell anything like that, you can (and will) be sued for royalties at the very least. Unless you make it a parody, but I would imagine that is quite difficult to do in a card game.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You going to make money on it?
    I figured a buck wouldn't be too much to ask. Of course assuming the game turns out to transit well into an app. I might be able to change the names. However, part of the game is a bit like a trivia. Would questions abot certain happenings in the books be affected aswell?

Deleted
    If you use any trademarked names, places etc you'll need the copyright holders permission.

You'd be better of making up your own fantasy world instead of risking infringing trademarks.

Right, I expected that to be the case. The trivia-part of it might need a rework then.. Appreciate the input!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantastic View Post
    Yes. Why not change the names? Worked for 50 Shades of Grey.
    Lmao, true.

My friend makes a living from taking source code from several things, and then reworking it into something "original".