Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I'm sorry but after trying to repeal Obamacare over 36 times WHILE THE MAN IS IN OFFICE. I can't say I disagree with calling them a bunch of obstructionist shit wits.

they postpone and derail presidential nominations. and shoot down every piece of legislation that comes their way. I really fail to see how it can be seen any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    I'm sorry but after trying to repeal Obamacare over 36 times WHILE THE MAN IS IN OFFICE. I can't say I disagree with calling them a bunch of obstructionist shit wits.

they postpone and derail presidential nominations. and shoot down every piece of legislation that comes their way. I really fail to see how it can be seen any other way.
    Every presidency has this unfortunately. Every once in a while they have a new platform to make a case for it (such as Obama saying he's giving businesses another year but not adding another year on the personal mandate) but 30/36 times they know it will fail. I'm much more for symbolic legislation in small batches, not every freakin' day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I keep hearing liberals and the liberal media refer to Congress as "obstructing" President Obama's dream. But Congress isn't supposed to be a rubber stamp for the president. Our nation has a system of checks and balances, and Congress is balancing the president's power by blindly supporting his agenda. Any time any of the president's policies and proposed policies fail, I always hear the blame go on Congress and Republicans. It sounds to me like they're doing their job though, by voting against bills that they oppose.

Something tells me the American people didn't vote for all of these Tea Partiers, just so they could act as a rubber stamp for the presidency? These congressmen and senators made it clear when they were running that they were opposed to Obama's agenda, and they were voted in on that platform. Shouldn't you be glad that these politicians are listening to their constituents and maintaining their integrity and virtue, rather than going with the flow and compromising their values and the values of their constituents?

I know a lot of members here respect politicians who have integrity (Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Gary Johnson, Dennis Kucinich, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, etc.), but many of these same members are also calling for these people to compromise those values.
    Um, Republican candidate for Senate Liz Cheney just started a campaign in Wyoming stating that her only goal in congress is to oppose everything Obama does.

And she's not alone. That's not what congress was created to do. As someone else said, its gotten to the point where Republicans oppose things they used to support just because Obama and the Dems brought it up. Instead of making the country better, Republicans in the House keep trying to appeal Obamacare for NO reason.

They are being obstructionist asshats, there's no two ways about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't expect the Republicans to give the Democrats everything.

I do expect them to compromise with the Democrats and make deals. But no, instead, they waste our time trying to repeal Obamacare and ban abortions. I don't care what your views on Obamacare is, that's irrelevant, when the Senate is controlled by the Dems and the President is a Democrat (and named Obama to boot) a repeal is NOT GOING TO PASS. It's a complete moronic waste of time and energy to repeal it until the Republicans gain either the Oval Office or the Senate.

Congress needs to stop acting like children and learn to make compromises. I don't care if you don't like the president, he was legally elected, deal with it and make compromises, don't just obstruct every goddamn thing he tries to do.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2013-07-24 at 12:58 AM.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I keep hearing liberals and the liberal media refer to Congress as "obstructing" President Obama's dream. But Congress isn't supposed to be a rubber stamp for the president.
    To not "rubber stamp" everything is one thing. To refuse to show up to vote on something that is important or entirely reject the whole thing because of ONE little part that isn't agreed with, then refuse to negotiate and meet in the middle nor offer any other ideas to help put it through, thus making it so people in this country aren't helped by the other 95% of it that would have been good... that ALL my way or nothing mentality.. yeah, I do see that as obstructionist.

Sometimes you can't have it ALL your way, I think most human beings know that. Sometimes you have to deal with one part of something you don't like in order to at least have the rest that you do. You know, it's like those rich 16-year-olds throwing a tantrum that the car they got for their birthday isn't the right color so the whole day is now ruined.

Its almost as though the Federal Congress was designed to be slow-moving and non-optimal in the first place. >.>

Nah..

Take for instance the deal that was struck on confirmation votes. The GOP agreed to stop filibustering if the president would change two of the seven nominations. That's how congress is supposed to work.

Overlooking of course the fact that these filibusters went on forever for purely political reasons and that executive nominations haven't really been targets for filibusters in the past.

But yeah compromise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Good thing reality doesn't conform to your false dichotomy. The GOP blocks nominations they have no problem with in an effort to derail laws that were passed or to make the president look bad.
    Like this?

Lindsey Graham admits Republicans were wrong to block Richard Cordray

Many Republicans admitted their efforts to hobble executive agencies by denying confirmation of their leadership was wrongheaded. “Cordray was being filibustered because we don’t like the law” that created the consumer agency, said Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina. “That’s not a reason to deny someone their appointment. We were wrong.”
    Kicking and screaming..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    It couldn't possibly be because we know who Obama is, what he stands for, and what he wants to accomplish and being diametrically opposed to it. Nope we are all just ignorant rubes who are opposing him because we don't like him.

Damn you have us so pegged.

The less THIS congress gets "accomplished" the better.
    This birther secret muslim nazi communist shit is OLD. Old, boring, ridiculous bullshit that you HAVE NO SUBSTANTIVE PROOF OF beyond your paranoid delusions
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Republicans block anything Obama tries to do purely on a principle of stopping him from doing anything to make him look bad, and Republican constituents/voters believe it?

Color me not shocked at all

Or you know, those that know they're doing it on purpose to make him look bad, and believe that heedless obstructionism is a good thing. To get this country back on track of the good old Bush super majorities, controlling the house, senate, and presidency to shove massive amounts of taxpayer money into corporate friendly legislation and corporate welfare.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-07-24 at 01:33 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"