I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Need Russian Help.

I'm hoping that someone who can read Russian can help me out.

My grandpa worked for NASA during the Apollo missions but also did work with Russia during that era as well. He passed away a few years ago and I received a package from a trust today that has several medals inside; some American, some Russian. I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out so I'll have a clue when my own children ask about them. I think Sputnik is on the back of the copper coin, but I'm not sure about anything it says.

PS- Macro on my camera sucks. If you need better resolution let me know and I'll see what I can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't read out the copper one cause of quality, and i'm not that proficient in medals. It is sputnik on the back though. The middle one is after Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, and in general it's a sort of a memorial medal, however, i haven't found for what it was usually awarded. Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more help on this

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post
    Can't read out the copper one cause of quality, and i'm not that proficient in medals. It is sputnik on the back though. The middle one is after Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, and in general it's a sort of a memorial medal, however, i haven't found for what it was usually awarded. Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more help on this
    Could I PM you with some better quality photos?

Your first medal is #9 here.

Following up on Darkis' lead, it seems the image on the back of the Konstantin Tsiolkovsky pin is similar to the one on this pin, which was devoted to the opening of the Museum of Astronautics in Kaluga, Russia. Ah, found it listed as "Soviet Jubilee Medal SPACE Ziolkowski K E 1967 Kaluga" on worthpoint.com.
    Last edited by Dispersedshadow; 2013-07-24 at 02:55 AM. Reason: more on second medal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Could I PM you with some better quality photos?
    Sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by taurvanhiel View Post
    Your first medal is #9 here.

Following up on Darkis' lead, it seems the image on the back of the Konstantin Tsiolkovsky pin is similar to the one on this pin, which was devoted to the opening of the Museum of Astronautics in Kaluga, Russia. Ah, found it listed as "Soviet Jubilee Medal SPACE Ziolkowski K E 1967 Kaluga" on worthpoint.com.
    Yeah, there were a number of medals issued in Tsiolkovsky's series, from what i found they were awarded for contribution and participation in space program.