Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So...Northern Maine?

Well as my name/location suggests, I am from Maine, specifically Northern Maine. I'm curious as to people's perceptions of us Mainers. Any questions you have I would be happy to answer if I am able, fire away!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lobster and basically Canadians.

Deleted
    Lobster and....... Thats it really, most of us in the UK know next to nothing about the place.

Isn't Maine that crazy place where all sort of insane shit happens and we then get news coverage by journalists like Stephen Kings?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    Well as my name/location suggests, I am from Maine, specifically Northern Maine. I'm curious as to people's perceptions of us Mainers. Any questions you have I would be happy to answer if I am able, fire away!
    You guys sound so funny. Forgive me but your accents sound like mentally handicapped Bostoners.

How similar are you to Canadians? Is it easy to cross the border into New Brunswick or something?

What are the beaches like? What is the weather like? How is Portland's nightlife like? Have you wished you could live in another state? How is Maine compared to the other states you've been to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Rejoining Britain would be a liberal's wet dream. They could get rid of the Bill of Rights, have nationalist healthcare, have open borders, guns would be banned, they'd have a weak foreign policy, etc.
    Gotta love MMOChampion's insightful and profound remarks on politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes we are known of our lobster, though I despise any and all seafood...and Canadians? Ha. We tease about Canadians more so than we should, eh? I guess being on the border does have that effect outsiders.

When you are looking for khakis are you looking for your pants or can you not start your car?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes we are known of our lobster, though I despise any and all seafood...and Canadians? Ha. We tease about Canadians more so than we should, eh? I guess being on the border does have that effect outsiders.
    You just said "eh?" You are totally basically Canadian lol

And bed and breakfast joints. Women think a trip to Maine is romantic or something.

Western coastal state...

Thats about it

Your place? North part of western coastal state

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Western coastal state...

Thats about it

Your place? North part of western coastal state
    Psst. Maine is on the East coast of the US lol

Ya cayan't get theyuh from he-ah.

Portland is a pretty underrated city, but that's obviously not Northern Maine.

Whenever it's cold here in the winter, I look at Aroostook County and think...."hey, it could be colder."
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2013-07-24 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Psst. Maine is on the East coast of the US lol
    Oh doh - i knew which side its on - just mixed up east and west...

Its opposite of Washington!

i live in nh, went to unh and met quite a lot of people from maine. i honestly don't perceive people from maine any differently than people from nh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, for those that have never visited the northern part of the State, there are really two Maines.

The south, associated with the "big" city Portland and the coast where the coastal accent of long the long 'r' takes root; i.e. my caarrr broke down. However, northern Maine lacks that accent; one of my teachers mentioned that some spots of Northern Maine actually lack a distinct accent. Though the closer you get to the northern border with Canada is where you see French Acadian accents begin to appear.

Northern Maine is alot of small rural communities, alot are farming based as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    You just said "eh?" You are totally basically Canadian lol

And bed and breakfast joints. Women think a trip to Maine is romantic or something.
    Eh does not mean candian... Odd to see you stereotype people in such a way when I read your posts you seem totally against any such thing. I guess its only when you think it as a joke its okay?

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Reg;21863659]You just said "eh?" You are totally basically Canadian lol

I still need to get learn how to illustrate my sarcasm over the internet, maybe I should use formatting a bit more as in "We tease about Canadians more so than we should, eh?"

Forgive me if my attempt is falling flat, but we make fun of the eh as much as anyone else :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Eh does not mean candian... Odd to see you stereotype people in such a way when I read your posts you seem totally against any such thing. I guess its only when you think it as a joke its okay?
    Oh, give me a break. Are you here to save the day from 100 years of comedic stereotype often proliferated by Canadian comics?

- - - Updated - - -

I still need to get learn how to illustrate my sarcasm over the internet, maybe I should use formatting a bit more as in "We tease about Canadians more so than we should, eh?"

Forgive me if my attempt is falling flat, but we make fun of the eh as much as anyone else :P
    There really does need to be a sarcasm font.
    Last edited by Reg; 2013-07-24 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post

Whenever it's cold here in the winter, I look at Aroostook County and think...."hey, it could be colder."
    Heh, yup I'm from "The County". Potatoes, blueberries, French people, and uh trees. Though as much as I tease about the trees, I do adore our scenery up here and the seasons. Though I could do without the humidity, bleh, even though it's only a few days a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    When you are looking for khakis are you looking for your pants or can you not start your car?
    I, would be looking for pants though someone from the coast could be looking for either!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Isn't Maine that crazy place where all sort of insane shit happens and we then get news coverage by journalists like Stephen Kings?
    I think you added an extra 's' to your "inane shit happens"

At least the northern part of the state is quiet, the southern portion is more urban, with Portland being a mini-Boston.

As Reg pointed out, I think we need a sarcasm font, cuz I hope you don't think Stephen King is a news journalist...

bangor is the only east coast city I have ever been to and that was just for a layover on the way back from Iraq. All I really remember was that there were dozens of veterans lined up to shake our hands when we landed, it felt like it took forever to get through the line before I could call my family and tell them I was stateside.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)