Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How does your guild gear undergeared recruits?

I'm currently in a guild that just brings in whoever that needs gear for farm bosses and I believe it's part of the reason why we occasionally wipe on harder farm bosses like Durumu and/or DA and losing good players due to those wipes. I'm just wondering, how does other guilds gear undergeared players? do they choose individual player's needs over not wiping on farm bosses?

Since the only way to be eligible for gear is to participate in the kill, that is how one would gear the undergeared.

That I understand, but what i'm trying to get at is, HOW? like for example if this guild have 8 new recruits and undergeared compared to core raiders, do guilds just sub in all 8 or do they sub in only a few at a time to ensure they won't wipe too many times on that particular boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    We run ToT normal mode and clear it for them. Easy peasy.

Main concern is heroic, at least for first 11 bosses.

Unless you're talking about HC's in ToT gear shouldn't be a reason for a wipe. People with gear that's 490 and above should be able to pull their weight on normals when they have decent skill. Having 8 people that need to be geared in a 25 man group shouldn't be a big of a deal and 4-5 that need gear in a 10 man group shouldn't be a big of a deal.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    My guild is currently doing N10: ToT 11/12. We go by the strategy below:

If horribly undergeared (<500), they usually join as a Social. Other Socials then help them gear. Tryouts/Raiders also help when not raiding.

If undergeared (<510), they usually join as Tryouts and participate on bosses where they are not a liability (Jin'rokh, Horridon, Ji'Kun).

Also, we rarely allow players who haven't cleared the first two wings of ToT, to join in on the last two wings. Even after they get 510+.

While we were progressing through the early bosses, anyone who needed loot for normal mode bosses got subbed in.

On heroics, if they are non-raiding members or trials who have shown promise we will generally sub them in for gear - but we allow them one screwup a week - after that they have a week of being subbed to do their research, and can ask to come in for fights where they need gear next reset if they think they are ready.

The number we permit in varies by boss - eg any number of subs for jinrohk, but we would only bring in 3-4 max for durumu and 1-2 new people a week max for dark animus etc.

We also run a dkp system - so we plan around who will actually win each item and bring them - if there is still extra subbable space available, we will bring extra looters just in case.

I think this system works well - I only started playing panda two months ago, and I am now completely caught up. The only issue we really have had with loot is the dkp system creating tension, when people take small upgrades rather than 50ilvl upgrades for another raider.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2013-07-25 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    Unless you're talking about HC's in ToT gear shouldn't be a reason for a wipe. People with gear that's 490 and above should be able to pull their weight on normals when they have decent skill. Having 8 people that need to be geared in a 25 man group shouldn't be a big of a deal and 4-5 that need gear in a 10 man group shouldn't be a big of a deal.
    Yea i am talking about a 11/13H clear and bringing undergeared people in since the first 11H bosses is on farm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerotic View Post
    Main concern is heroic, at least for first 11 bosses.
    We took someone with a 488 item level to heroic Jin'rokh and got it down. That said, if you're aiming for heroic modes you may still have to clear normal once or twice to gear them up before bringing them into the harder bosses. You won't be able to walk around with a 490 or 500 on some of the fights.

Deleted
    During Wrath when I was a social member of the realm #1 guild and one day the GM whispered me and asked if I had any interest in raiding as they needed a moonkin (Paladin was my main but I had a 80 druid in greens). I pretty much just said yes and was then carried through ICC heroic mode and handed whatever loot took my fancy. I even had priority over main and off-spec raiders.

So basically: Get carried through heroic modes. Get given any loot they needed.

You are losing good players after wiping few times on farm bosses? I hate to bring this to you, but they probably were not as good players and you can be glad they left during farm status and not during progression, where it would hurt your guild much more.

To answer your question, depending on number of recruits, their gear and skill, you obviously can't take all of them on harder heroic bosses. 8 recruits in one raid is a lot, and it will lead to trouble if they've never seen bosses you have on farm. I personally wouldn't take more than 3-4 of these players at a time to ensure success without too much trouble.
    Shaman - Hunter - Monk - Druid - Warlock - DK - another Shaman - one more Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    The number we permit in varies by boss - eg any number of subs for jinrohk, but we would only bring in 3-4 max for durumu and 1-2 new people a week max for dark animus etc.\.
    I see, this is what i wanted to know, ty!

Anymore people willing to share how their guilds handle undergeared players?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faeglendir View Post
    You are losing good players after wiping few times on farm bosses? I hate to bring this to you, but they probably were not as good players and you can be glad they left during farm status and not during progression, where it would hurt your guild much more.

To answer your question, depending on number of recruits, their gear and skill, you obviously can't take all of them on harder heroic bosses. 8 recruits in one raid is a lot, and it will lead to trouble if they've never seen bosses you have on farm. I personally wouldn't take more than 3-4 of these players at a time to ensure success without too much trouble.
    Very helpful!, ty!

Anymore people out there?

Alt runs. /10
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Last time I was in a raiding guild was in Wrath, and the RL straight up told people gearing up to fuck off and pug for their gear.He was quite the swell guy.

Recruits make a list of priority bosses that have the drops they need or want most. Bring a handful of the recruits in for their priority bosses > non priority bosses.

When I joined my current 10man guild as a 479 ilvl holy paladin I just got into main group when they were closing the reset on normal after Jinrohk. Jumped into progression straight away =)

Loot is mainly rolled, with elements of loot council.

I'm currently in a guild that just brings in whoever that needs gear for farm bosses and I believe it's part of the reason why we occasionally wipe on harder farm bosses like Durumu and/or DA and losing good players due to those wipes. I'm just wondering, how does other guilds gear undergeared players? do they choose individual player's needs over not wiping on farm bosses?
    if your players can't take wiping then you got a bigger problem than gearing up people. We have wiped a total of 20-25 times over last 2 weeks on DA mainly but a few dumb wipes on other bosses too. Because of gearing up a new boomkin who had to heal 1 week in 505 gear..... and gearing up a alt warlock+the boomkin this week. Even with that we still 1 day 4 hour cleared. So I really don't know unless your spending 2-3 days wiping cause of this. a few wipes here and there shouldn't be getting peoples panties in a bunch.
    Last edited by Moshots; 2013-07-25 at 04:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea i am talking about a 11/13H clear and bringing undergeared people in since the first 11H bosses is on farm.
    I haven't play WoW since ~ October of 2011.. but if your guild is organized or good in the slightest... you already have your core mostly geared and you funnel gear that absolutely no one needs into recruits as soon as possible and more controversial better items once they are accepted into the guild as a member -- assuming they aren't absolute trash.

In the guild I was in we would use alt runs or swap people in and out on bosses that were on farm. It worked fairly well, although we really never had people that were so undergeared that they could never run whatever content we were currently pushing.