Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is this where all our subscription money goes?

From http://beta.fool.com/studyearnenjoy/...gyholnk0000001

Rewarding a CEO for a mediocre job

World of Warcraft probably had a longer reign as the world's most popular video game than any game ever has. But patching in constant fixes to a game that wasn't broken ruined Activision Blizzard's cash cow.

And what does the company do to reward the CEO for overseeing this recent period of unimpressive growth? Increase his pay eight-fold, and make him the fourth highest paid CEO in America! That massive raise cannot possibly be justified by the companies recent performance.

You have obviously never seen how businesses work, and how corporate officers get bonuses/raises. That is standard across all companies.

I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm just saying it is not isolated to Blizz. It is part of business in the world today.

what is the correct salary for a ceo of his performance?

10+ Year Old Account
    Enough with all these QQ threads with what blizzard does with their money, just enjoy the game you play.
    Let blizzard do their own thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Enough with all these QQ threads with what blizzard does with their money, just enjoy the game you play.
    Let blizzard do their own thing.
    "Here blizzard take my money and do your own thing gurl"

10+ Year Old Account
    CEOs work their entire life to earn their positions and deserve every penny they of their salaries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    "Here blizzard take my money and do your own thing gurl"
    are you paying for a game because you know the money is going to be use wise? i play a game because i enjoy it not for what they do with my money
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    CEOs work their entire life to earn their positions and deserve every penny they of their salaries.
    You can justify any sum of money with that kind of arguing.

Blizzard has a lifelike statue of a orc in front of their building. I really could care less what they do with their money at this point.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    You rise to the level of your incompetence in the software industry

He lost all credit with me when he said leveling and questing were fun in Vanilla.

More nostalgia. The writer must have access to absolutely all data available from WoW to make the conclusions he does, and I seriously doubt he has that data.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    He lost all credit with me when he said leveling and questing were fun in Vanilla.
    I liked leveling and questing in Vanilla, your character was a lot weaker so you had to really make sure your pulls were accurate, saving cooldowns for when you pull more than 1 mob, upgrading your gear often because gear from quests were kinda rare, etc.

I liked it a lot more than the current brainless, Go to A, finish task B, gain levels. It takes no effort leveling now, only time. It's boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    "In my opinion, the greatest video game of all time was classic World of Warcraft"
    I stopped reading there, the guy clearly has no clue.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Rah55 View Post
    From http://beta.fool.com/studyearnenjoy/...gyholnk0000001
    Rewarding a CEO for a mediocre job

World of Warcraft probably had a longer reign as the world's most popular video game than any game ever has. But patching in constant fixes to a game that wasn't broken ruined Activision Blizzard's cash cow.

And what does the company do to reward the CEO for overseeing this recent period of unimpressive growth? Increase his pay eight-fold, and make him the fourth highest paid CEO in America! That massive raise cannot possibly be justified by the companies recent performance.
    Do you own stock in the company? If your answer is no then you get NO SAY in what a company does with it's money as they provide a service to you. Go buy some of their shares and next time you will have voting rights to say if you disagree
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

And following a link on the same website I get

http://beta.fool.com/rupert93/2013/07/22/a/39375/

Call of Duty, Warcraft, Starcraft: What's Not to Love About This Company?

It's like there is two different people with two different opinions about the same subject....Shocking!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    "In my opinion, the greatest video game of all time was classic World of Warcraft"
    I stopped reading there, the guy clearly has no clue.
    No you have no clue. Vanilla and TBC is as good as this game got. Ofcourse if you haven't played or if you are the mouth breathing kind you won't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    No you have no clue. Vanilla and TBC is as good as this game got.
    You mean that bugged and unbalanced piece of... erm... software?
    How about no? Also, don't bring TBC into the mix, that blogger speaks about CLASSIC WoW. Last time I checked it means vanilla.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    Since the article is little more than a troll for page views it will likely be very successful. That was the point after all.

As for the rest of it, games change and it would be easy enough to write post-mortems about World of Warcraft 9 years later if had not changed much since vanilla. The article is wrong-headed, misinformed and largely suspect with regard to motives.

Game design studio bashing at its best/worst depending on whether or not you agree with it. Really, despite its location at Motley Fool, I've seen better informed and more thoughtful posts on the forums here.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    are you paying for a game because you know the money is going to be use wise? i play a game because i enjoy it not for what they do with my money
    I could repeat the same old argument about where your money goes and how it effects you but it wouldn't make a difference. When people are set in stone they are set in stone covered in concrete.