Under new controversial rule, Clowney would have been ejected for ‘The Hit’

SO not sure how many college football fans we have here but i have to say this bothers me http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...argeting-rule/ . HOW THE FUCK is a running back RUSHING TOWARDS the line of scrimmage become classified as a defenseless player? The hit was clean and the running back was not defenseless. Hell football is a game of controlled violence! Ejecting a player for making a good tackle should not net him a 1 game suspension. Was one of the best defensive plays ive seen in years.

Kinda reminds me of the southpark episode where they try to make football safer and Stans dad comes up with Sarcastaball http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcastaball .

Ya I can't really understand this. That tackle was as text book as it could possibly be. I mean that is the tackle that coaches should be showing other players on how to tackle someone.

Also, maybe players should start sizing and properly strapping on their helmets so they stop flying off every other play. The helmet coming off made it look a lot worse than it really was. I mean it was an amazing hit, I jumped up out of my chair when I saw it, but it was clean. It was two dudes going 1 on 1, the better / bigger man won, straight up.

Gorgeous play within the rules as they existed then, and a change in rules shouldn't suddenly make Clowney a bad guy for said hit, but I have no problem with not allowing that play going forward. Let's be clear, it's very rare that a ballcarrier would be ruled "defenseless", and that's a really unusual play, precisely because Clowney was able to get into the backfield so cleanly that the ballcarrier really was defenseless. This image does the play justice:

Clowney's able to clear the line and lay a monster hit on the back right as his hands are dropped, grabbing at the ball instead of providing any sort of leverage or balance, which is what makes him "defenseless" in this context.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravock View Post
    It was two dudes going 1 on 1, the better / bigger man won, straight up.
    This is silly. This is not a one on one play in any meaningful sense. Clowney made a perfect read, exploded with unique athleticism off the line, and torched the offensive line. The running back had absolutely no chance whatsoever, and the identity of the running back and defensive lineman at this point of impact is irrelevant; there's no back that's beating a lineman who's striking him before he's even solidly controlled the ball. If you think what's special about what Clowney did there is the one on one part with the running back, I don't think you really know what's going on.