Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Well you said yourself it's not about environmental factors, you're in objection to other safety standards..what kind of safety standards annoy you?
    Safety paper work is bullshit. It doesn't need to go away, but it need cut down a fair amount. There are a lot of other small rules that are stupid. For example I have to wear protective glasses over my protective glasses wtf? What's worse is that this makes them fog up which makes things unsafe, but I still have to wear them both. Double wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    I have worked in the oilfields for many years, and the trend I have seen growing is safety. In the beginning it was nice, but now there are so many regulations and procedures in place that they are grinding down production to a crawl. Ultimately lower production ends up costing Americans more because Oil has infiltrated into nearly every facet of our lives including fuel for our cars, fuel for farming equipment, fuel for the transportation of goods, a large amount of plastics come from oil, and even synthetic clothes fibers are made from it. Like it or not the production of oil has a good amount of control over the cost of living, so if we over regulate safety in that industry the country ends up paying for it.
    The people that used to live here would like a word with you about deregulating industry:

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    And the money spend on it is like 0.001 of the money spend on pumping, distributing, refining etc. oil
    Most are unreliable or too costly. Solar panels simply are not cost effective compared to oil, and farming solar energy takes up a large footprint and most of the USA is already in use for farming or cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most are unreliable or too costly. Solar panels simply are not cost effective compared to oil, and farming solar energy takes up a large footprint and most of the USA is already in use for farming or cities.
    Stop comparing oil to renewables. They aren't competing. Almost none of our electrical generation comes from oil, and almost none of our automotive consumption comes from renewables. They aren't competing, at least not yet.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    man, that was a combination of all sorts of stupidity. The plant was there first so it had initially no problem, but the city gov't was stupid as hell and let neighborhoods and schools encroach too close. Then the owner of the plant said "HEY! lets bring in a crapton of fertilizer without telling the feds!" then BAM, 14 first responders die.

Deleted
    Wind, water, plantoil, wave energy, ethonal? Or is america lacking all that? Also wanna here something crazy? Oil was highly ineffective, costly and unreliable in the frst 50 years

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine the playing fields would be a little bit more even if we didn't subsidize big oil...

and freaking ethanol.

- - - Updated - - -

Wind, water, plantoil, wave energy, ethonal? Or is america lacking all that? Also wanna here something crazy? Oil was highly ineffective, costly and unreliable in the frst 50 years
    yeah, Rockefeller had to tinker with the formula a lot!

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh? Oil was used for Kerosene for the first 50 years or so, and gasoline was an unwanted byproduct. By the time we started using it in cars, it was very cost effective and we were already producing plenty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Stop comparing oil to renewables. They aren't competing. Almost none of our electrical generation comes from oil, and almost none of our automotive consumption comes from renewables. They aren't competing, at least not yet.

Pfft! Good luck with your renewable energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The people that used to live here would like a word with you about deregulating industry:
    Necessary sacrifices. American will become great again by standing upon their coffins.

/sarcasm

- - - Updated - - -

Pfft! Good luck with your renewable energy.
    Now that graph is just outright dishonest. The renewables, you know, renew themselves. The fossils don't.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Huh? Oil was used for Kerosene for the first 50 years or so, and gasoline was an unwanted byproduct. By the time we started using it in cars, it was very cost effective and we were already producing plenty of it.
    Gasoline took massive amount of research to make efficient in cars.

Solar panels farming solar energy taking footprints...

I know those words but they dont make sense...

10+ Year Old Account
    To make as efficient as it is today, sure, but there was already a massive market for oil existing. Gasoline was a side project to see if there was anything we could do with this waste byproduct to the MASSIVELY PROFITABLE kerosene.

Orly? History says you are wrong.

Deleted
    Orly? History says you are wrong.
    And how many years is it since we cut out lead from gasoline? Not even 2 decades
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2013-07-25 at 01:06 AM.

I have worked in the oilfields for many years, and the trend I have seen growing is safety. In the beginning it was nice, but now there are so many regulations and procedures in place that they are grinding down production to a crawl. Ultimately lower production ends up costing Americans more because Oil has infiltrated into nearly every facet of our lives including fuel for our cars, fuel for farming equipment, fuel for the transportation of goods, a large amount of plastics come from oil, and even synthetic clothes fibers are made from it. Like it or not the production of oil has a good amount of control over the cost of living, so if we over regulate safety in that industry the country ends up paying for it.
    Doesn't the country pay when something goes wrong because safety isn't guaranteed enough as well? An actual number using cost-benefit analysis would be very interesting.

Deleted
    taking a quick look at List of Oil Spills then the US really does need to increase it's saftey regulations regarding oild production. Since Deep water Horizon, there have been 9 other incident resulting in a maximum of 7922 tones oil to be spilled. Yes there have been other incidents which are large oil spills, but according to that wikki table, since 1907 the US has had 55 Major Oil Spills.

Now this could be that you keep better records, it could be because corporate miss management forcing people to take short cuts in safety chasing to increase profits, it could be that you get a lot of defective parts, or it could be that your just sloppy in your workmanship. However you cannot deny that the more safety regulations have means the likely hood of something happening on the scale of the Exxon Valdez grounding or even Deep water horizon gets slimmer with more regulations.

Now of course there are some things that you cannot account for, and in fact a large portion of that table (9 in total) happened during Hurricane Katrina and accident will from time to time happen, but would you not agree that it is better to try and limit the amount of accidents that happen in the first place?

Deleted
    It takes the piss sometimes, we train to kill people with maximum aggression yet some twat tells us we need to wear glow in the dark vests for PT in case we get ran over!

- - - Updated - - -

*sigh* only a woman. What does it take for people to start to take notice of over safety regulation $5 a gallon maybe $10 a gallon? How many billions upon billions of dollars does it take before a single life is not worth it?
    That cheap? You are bloody lucky!

http://www.petrolprices.com/search.html?search=portsmouth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    It takes the piss sometimes, we train to kill people with maximum aggression yet some twat tells us we need to wear glow in the dark vests for PT in case we get ran over!
    Ha ha, as a member of the USAF Reserves, I know what you mean. I can be sent to Bagram where I'll be dodging mortar rounds, but HOLY SHIT I'M NOT WEARING MY REFLECTIVE BELT AT NIGHT!

The military is so weird.

Tech school was so fucking stupid. "You have to have a battle buddy everywhere you go and wear your reflective belt!" I never did either. I'm a goddamned adult on a military base, I'm not going to get shanked on the way to the BX for Christ sake.
    Putin khuliyo