Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    High Overlord Solarflair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    184

    Are there any compelling arguments to NOT allow Legendary transmogging?

    Just curious if anyone out there is strongly against allowing players to not be able to transmog their Legendary items.

    The way I see it is, there is so much stuff in the game already that you can earn later on when content becomes easier. Firelord, Dragonslayer, old meta's. Why not add the ability to wear your favorite or most memorable item in a raid or scenario or what have you? I just don't see what's causing Blizzard to not throw this in eventually. Is there that large of an outcry from the playerbase? I'm trying to remember if they made a post on this or not.

    Anyways, if players are complaining that it devalues their legendary if they earned it during 'x' tier as opposed to 'y' tier, just seems so irrelevant now when they continue to keep old achievements that award titles and mounts in-game.

    If your argument is for prestige, see above. Unless that logic is flawed. Which it could be

    Anyways, cheers!

    #TeamHunter

  2. #2
    I know that Blizzard's argument has been that allowing players to transmog Legendaries would make the weapon models extremely popular and pervasive, and they'd feel significantly less "Legendary."

    Personally, I don't agree-- not seeing them doesn't mean that all those people don't have them now that the content is outdated. I actually think I've seen significantly more people arguing against Blizzard's policy than for it.

  3. #3
    Well GC has recently come out saying "if you allow Legendaries to be mogged then people feel compelled to go back and get them". Which to me is total BS, since it's not like a mog gives you better stats or something. They just don't want to do it so they're not going to do it. I figure we might see the ability though in the next expansion or two. Really no reason to not allow it and they like to fall back on the special snowflake argument but really that has no steam since well it seems (on my server at least) 80% of the population bought those god awful store helms. How is that unique or 'special snowflake-y'?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I know that Blizzard's argument has been that allowing players to transmog Legendaries would make the weapon models extremely popular and pervasive, and they'd feel significantly less "Legendary."

    Personally, I don't agree-- not seeing them doesn't mean that all those people don't have them now that the content is outdated. I actually think I've seen significantly more people arguing against Blizzard's policy than for it.
    idk why they care (since they are selling transmogs now that they've tried to make them look pretty legendary).

    + the best transmogs are the people in full tyrannical transmog'd into level 1 items

  5. #5
    I would have thought that offering additional incentive for people to back and get them would be a good thing, though. They've been trying to get people to solo old content for a while now. I mean, why would Legendaries be any different?

    Personally, I don't get it. If Rags would finally get off his butt and drop me the eye I need, I'd have a legendary, sure, but short of showing it off in trade no one would ever know. At least if I could mog it, someone might be able to see the darn thing...
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Vellerix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    Posts
    3,247
    Legendaries aren't so legendary when they are sitting in your bank collecting dust, for this reason, they should allow it.

  7. #7
    At Blizzcon 2011, I got the chance to speak to Zarhym about this. He said one thing they had kicked around was eventually allowing Transmog of legendaries, but with a few catches.
    - The price would probably be quite a bit higher than current items
    - When the content was obsolete, the drops would be decreased. For example, the warglaives from Illidan might be dropped to a 0.1 or a 0.05% drop rate or whatever they calculated was appropriate. Something like Taregosa's Rest might have the crafting pieces decreased to drop less frequently to bring acquiring it more in line with the decreased drop rate legendaries as well.

    That would allow them to be used, somewhat grandfather in those who already have them, and keep them rare rather than mass farmed by everyone and their dog so they maintained a bit of their rarity being seen about towns.

    Granted, he said they were just some possible ideas that had been kicked around in meetings, not something they were discussing implementing, but it's that sort of discussion that proves constructive from the community.

    We know they want legendaries, even obsolete ones, to remain rare. They know we want to transmog our legendaries. How can we both be happy?
    "There is good and evil in this world; we must find the black and white in the gray."

  8. #8
    well it's impossible to determine when the legendary was obtained, similar to the level 60 pvp gear. people who obtained it after the content was severely nerfed or in another expansion didn't earn the legendary the hard way, therefore they didn't really earn it at all and should not be allowed to mog it. until they implement a system like the replica system, which might track the date on the FoS, I doubt we see legendary moging.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by orioxez View Post
    well it's impossible to determine when the legendary was obtained, similar to the level 60 pvp gear. people who obtained it after the content was severely nerfed or in another expansion didn't earn the legendary the hard way, therefore they didn't really earn it at all and should not be allowed to mog it. until they implement a system like the replica system, which might track the date on the FoS, I doubt we see legendary moging.
    Well, he was saying more from the standpoint of going forward.

    So for example's sake, let's say it went live with MoP's launch.

    If you had a legendary at launch, you could transmog it. If you didn't have one at launch you'd be facing much lower drop rates to go back for old ones.
    Then if 5.4 had a legendary, it would have drop rate or crafting item drop rate, etc of __%

    Next expansion, the 5.4 legendary would have its drop rate lowered significantly.

    It's also one I would think best to be a surprise addition rather than known on PTR so it's just "surprise, legendaries can be transmogged and the drop rates are lower now" to prevent preparatory farming.

    As it stands now, I still don't think THAT many people per server as a whole have Thunderfury, Sulfuras, Warglaives, or Thori'dal let alone Ateish or Ashrbinger (and those would stay rare). I don't think many have the Wrath legendaries either. Blizzard has even suggested as much, but feel if they announced they could be transmogged, the number of people farming them would skyrocket.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2013-07-25 at 08:16 PM.
    "There is good and evil in this world; we must find the black and white in the gray."

  10. #10
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    - When the content was obsolete, the drops would be decreased. For example, the warglaives from Illidan might be dropped to a 0.1 or a 0.05% drop rate or whatever they calculated was appropriate. Something like Taregosa's Rest might have the crafting pieces decreased to drop less frequently to bring acquiring it more in line with the decreased drop rate legendaries as well.
    It was easier to get the Cataclysm (and perhaps even Wrath) legendaries when they were current than it is to get Sulfuras or Thunderfury now.

  11. #11
    I find Blizzard's argument perfectly compelling. If everyone and their sister's running around with Warglaives and Thunderfuries, it'd get old real fast.
    HEAVIEST: 361 lbs.
    CURRENT: 257.6 lbs.
    GOAL: Healthy 185 by end of 2014.

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord Moon Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Posts
    4,447
    Well GC has recently come out saying "if you allow Legendaries to be mogged then people feel compelled to go back and get them".
    I wish I could've seen him say this. People are "compelled" to go back and get gear they like the look of for transmog because they like how it looks. That is the most irrational idiotic statement that man has ever uttered on the subject if not in general.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    I find Blizzard's argument perfectly compelling. If everyone and their sister's running around with Warglaives and Thunderfuries, it'd get old real fast.
    right just like they think everyone is going to be tanking in AQ robes if they remove armour type restrictions. It's a ridiculous argument and filled with idiotic assumptions
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.
    Night Elf Independence Movement

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    I find Blizzard's argument perfectly compelling. If everyone and their sister's running around with Warglaives and Thunderfuries, it'd get old real fast.
    This, the content for legendaries is no longer current and therefore more about RNG and grinding rather than actual achievement and skill. It would dilute the power of older legendaries by having some guy who got lucky in a BT run being able to transmog his swords to Warglaives

    Also, congrats on your weight loss bro, I'm sure you'll reach your goal if you stay motivated like that. I lost 70 lbs since September of last year myself and I learned the most important thing is to believe in yourself and stay committed.

  14. #14
    Simple solution - make it so that lengedaries only drop while that expansion is current. That would keep them rare. Then, allow people to x-mog them.

    At least, that would be my suggestion.

  15. #15
    My personal opinion is there is no compelling argument. Feels like everyone is running around with the same Transmogs anyway. As soon as everyone is using Thunderfury, everyone will change to something else. Maybe Blizzard should just focus on making really cool awesome gear every Xpac, so that we don't want to tmog anyways.

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    4,999
    Blizzards stance makes sense and we do not really need to investigate the issue further. Trust me, you won't care much about your current epic looking like Sulfuras when everyone has the same.


    In fact, I am sure that would spawn some ridiculous cult of "Only awesome player for X reason should be able to transmog legendaries" or some such nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Blizzards stance makes sense and we do not really need to investigate the issue further. Trust me, you won't care much about your current epic looking like Sulfuras when everyone has the same.

    I disagree. With so many horrendous looking ranged weapons in the game I would absolutely love to mog my Thoridal, regardless of however many others do, simply because it's one of very few decent looking bows in the game.

    To me it's more that those models just look good compared to most others. Nothing to do with the color of their text or some imaginary 'prestige'.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2013-07-25 at 08:49 PM.

  18. #18
    I remember when Transmog was announced people flocked to the forums saying "Everyone is gonna transmog their best tier set and never change, so everyone is just gonna look the same."

    Well, that didn't happen. At all. In fact we have seen an incredible amount of diversity and creativity in the looks people come up with. If they allow legendaries to be transmogged they will find the same balance as everything else has, people will use them a lot in the first two weeks for the novelty and then move on to something else. Right now if I find a green item with a cool model that item has value to me. If I get a legendary however, its an orange brick to sit in my void storage. That sucks.

    They made legendaries rare by making them worthless. That just hurts their prestige value imo.

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Ciddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I know that Blizzard's argument has been that allowing players to transmog Legendaries would make the weapon models extremely popular and pervasive, and they'd feel significantly less "Legendary."

    Personally, I don't agree-- not seeing them doesn't mean that all those people don't have them now that the content is outdated. I actually think I've seen significantly more people arguing against Blizzard's policy than for it.
    Yeah, I don't understand why you can't transmog these legendaries but can still obtain them. I can still strut around Stormwind on my warrior while dual wielding Sulfuras and Thunderfury. Not sure how that's any worse than being able to transmog them. If Blizzard were serious about that, I'd think they'd make it impossible for level 90s to obtain the old-content legendary items.

    Honestly, I'd rather just have all the transmog restrictions removed, aside from the one requirement that you must be able to equip the piece of gear you want to use.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    I find Blizzard's argument perfectly compelling. If everyone and their sister's running around with Warglaives and Thunderfuries, it'd get old real fast.
    They already are, and it still doesn't become a compelling argument.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •