Transporting computer

So I`m moving to a new appartment in about 3 weeks, and obviously I`m bringing my computer. So I`m just wondering what the safest way to get my computer to the new place?
    I will be driving and I still have the box my computer came in if that makes things easier.

Thanks for your input.

Do like me. Throw it in the back of the car and drive like crazy, and it's still working at the other end.

If you want a bit more safe, put the screen behind the backseat and yourself, and some clothes/pillow to keep it stuck there. The computer itself behind the backseat and the passengerseat, and move the passenger seat back enough to have it locked there.

Works like a charm, and can only get broken from crashing hard then.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I would do the pillow thing as the above poster said. I would also make use out of that box the computer can in, it won't allow ure computer much give so less shaking, also think about securing the optical drive if u have one.

Deleted
    Base unit put it in the car, for the Monitor, put a pillow of some soft clothing in front of the screen and you should be fine, Keyboard, mouse etc just throw in a box.
    if you where shipping it across country or via a carrier then I would suggest removing the GFX card to avoid stress on the connectors, But since your moving yourself you should be fine as is.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Deleted
    If you have a proper cpu cooler then you want the PC so the side where motherboard is, is closest to seat. Half a kilo of cpu cooler shouldn't be hanging off the m/b whilst it's bumped around.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sometimes transport my pc to have a gaming party/night with a couple of my friends. What is important is that your pc, and even more important your monitor, won't be able to move during the trip. So make sure they're stuck in place. To be sure I always stuff pillows/towels between parts en shit so if they break loose there's only a small chance shit will go down ^^

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrantworm View Post
    If you have a proper cpu cooler then you want the PC so the side where motherboard is, is closest to seat. Half a kilo of cpu cooler shouldn't be hanging off the m/b whilst it's bumped around.
    You mean just lay it flat.

Try and seatbelt it in too, thats what I do. And I face the monitors to the back of the seat and seatbelt those in too. Never had and problems. Drove from North East England to South East a few years ago, there and back with no issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of the computer itself is shock proof, it's only really mechanical hard drives that risk damage during transport.

If you've taken normal precautions to prevent it bouncing around it might also be worth removing any mechanical drives and take them in a box, wrapped in bubble plastic or other shock absorbing material.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurias View Post
    So I`m moving to a new appartment in about 3 weeks, and obviously I`m bringing my computer. So I`m just wondering what the safest way to get my computer to the new place?
    I will be driving and I still have the box my computer came in if that makes things easier.

Thanks for your input.
    Last time I needed to move my computer, I wrapped a blanket around it. And then made sure it would lie down and not be standing.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    One thing to remember as a lot of people I know from uni forgot and it caused problems for them. Ensure that if you need to put the tower on its side, the MB is on the floor and not hanging upside down lots of heavy stuff on a MB and gravity can have an adverse effect on something like a heat sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurias View Post

Thanks for your input.
    I would just put the computer in the box it came in. If you can fit the computer in the way it was shipped to the store or to your house, then that is the best idea to transport the computer. If you don't want to put the computer in the box you can just put the computer on the floor of your car and cover it with clothes or something soft. For the monitor you should put a blanket or something soft down on the car seat and place the monitor screen down, that way if something falls it will hit the back of the monitor and not the screen. Transporting a computer is not that hard but you want to make sure you are doing it safe for all the computer parts.

Anyways, if you ever did any upgrades you might want to check all of the screws in the tower and make sure they are nice and tight, you don't want anything moving around in the case when driving. Good Luck.

Depending on the cooler, especially if it is as described a heavier one then you might want to remove it.
    On its side or not, that is still a lot of weight pulling on the motherboard however you orient it.

If you have the original box for the case, then there is the possibility the built system (minus the graphics card for earlier stated reasons) can fit back inside that, though the extra weight would make getting it in or out difficult.

Deleted
    I used box for LCD that was part of original package and it had nice handle. I had PC in carry bag. Damn trains, but yeah then i walked over 2km home carrying LCD in one hand and pc in 2nd.