Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Might we see some more "Shapely" armor models in future expansions?

Something that has bothered me in WoW for quite a while now, is the lack of variety in armor models. Right now, there are 2 or 3 defining factors of an armor set, and those are the helm, the shoulders, and sometimes in recent sets, the belt.

The chest pieces and legs are for the most part, exactly the same but with different patterns and textures, there is never really any variety in shape or cut, the only difference being as I said, patterns and colours.

Then I started to look at some NPC's, specificly Mogu and Saurok NPC's from Isle of Thunder, and I noticed that they were wearing armor sets that actually had some definition, some shape and some "bulk" if you will. Take a look:

Looking at these models closer, I was astonished by the level of detail in their armor, showing much more variation and more interesting shapes to the armor pieces, without it looking like just another texture on a flat piece, even the gloves that the saurok is wearing have heavy levels of detail and look less bland than the sort of things our characters would wear.

Ofcourse, I realise these are just NPC models, and don't represent what we could expect from player armor models in the future, but I was thinking, wouldn't it be neat if they did?

I for one would love some of this level of detail in some of my armor sets, and with revamped player models coming in the near future, I think the next expansion would be a good time for blizzard to start being a little more adventurous with some armor sets, maybe limit it only to challenge mode type gear, so we don't kill some of the lower specced PCs.

What do you guys think?

I completely agree, The armorsets so far has only been texture with a small offset.
    I wish to be able to change the shape of my character completely.

For example shoulderpads that expand upwards or sideways in a grand fashion like most fantasy characters do.
    Rings, necklaces and Trinkets who are visible.

I think it's definitely possible. We've already had them expand into very varied belts this xpac with some pretty absurdly elaborate buckles.

Part of the issue that their designers face is making sure that an armor set will work on every single race/gender, though. It's a lot easier to make one super crazy armor set that only ever appears on a mogu, but it's something else to make an armorset which will work without serious clipping/sizing issues on every race. Hell, they still can't always get that exactly right with helms and shoulders all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nazaraki View Post
    For example shoulderpads that expand upwards or sideways in a grand fashion like most fantasy characters do.
    Rings, necklaces and Trinkets who are visible.
    We playing the same game? MoP has some craaaaaaaaazy shoulder armors.

Shaman challenge mode comes to mind as the most ludicrous shoulder armor ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Say what you will about the art department, but they have been lazy in this regard, they have made many, many concept art of armor sets that have shapes and a bulkier look on them , and the only result we see ingame are the shoulders and the helmets, with the recent belts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I think it's definitely possible. We've already had them expand into very varied belts this xpac with some pretty absurdly elaborate buckles.

Part of the issue that their designers face is making sure that an armor set will work on every single race/gender, though. It's a lot easier to make one super crazy armor set that only ever appears on a mogu, but it's something else to make an armorset which will work without serious clipping/sizing issues on every race. Hell, they still can't always get that exactly right with helms and shoulders all the time.
    This is definately a good point, and this is part of the reason why I think if it were to happen, it would be limited to sets like challenge mode, then they can spend the extra time making sure it works because it will be a set that will be used through the entirety of the game (no stats)

Deleted
    Those armour models are built for one race. Mogu, saurok, whatever. It's far easier to do that then to make an elaborate chestplate and then rig it to be worn by 13 races, some with very different models, which would have to be the case if players were able to loot items like this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    Those armour models are built for one race. Mogu, saurok, whatever. It's far easier to do that then to make an elaborate chestplate and then rig it to be worn by 13 races, some with very different models, which would have to be the case if players were able to loot items like this
    I already acknowledged this in my original post . I realise it would be alot of work to get it to look good on every race, which is why I was not suggesting that they do this with every armor set, just stuff like challenge mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    If anything I'm surprised they've never made a pair of gloves with a blade-edge or whatever protruding on the sides. Perhaps it'd just create clipping errors with weapons.. Or leg armor with knee-spikes.

They had some legs with more shape, but I haven't seen it since.. WotLK?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    If anything I'm surprised they've never made a pair of gloves with a blade-edge or whatever protruding on the sides. Perhaps it'd just create clipping errors with weapons.. Or leg armor with knee-spikes.

They had some legs with more shape, but I haven't seen it since.. WotLK?
    and almost all leather/mail/plate shoes have had some bulk in them since ulduar (the actual feet part not the leg warming things)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

I agree.
    If it chest / leg pieces won't get some bulk for every future set we get, atleast invest in the future Challenge Mode ones... I'm getting tired of painted textures.

I don't think it's possible with current WoW's engine without merging chest,cloak and shoulders. For expample you can't really make a cloak that cover shoulders as seperate piece fron shoulder.

I don't think we'll see anything that complex any time soon. BUT! I believe they could add a few more armor and cloak shapes with the new player models: Collars, open coats, bulkier chestplates, different skirt sizes...

Generic shapes that allow for more variety and customization. Just like current gloves and boots.

Apart from that, those small models attached to the new belts could also be used as buttons, kneepads or arm bracelets.

Considering the Mogu and Saurok models are based on the male Draenei and Worgen models, respectively, I think there's a very good chance that we'll see more volumetric armor Soon [tm]. Maybe even for next expansion, who knows? That would be one very good reason new models are taking so long: a hell of a lot of gear would have to be changed to make them work using this new system.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Pandas can already have armor like that. If we get new races at xpac launch i fully see this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Say what you will about the art department, but they have been lazy in this regard, they have made many, many concept art of armor sets that have shapes and a bulkier look on them , and the only result we see ingame are the shoulders and the helmets, with the recent belts.
    Not lazy, just other priorities. And although I do agree it would be awesome if they put some time in this, I haven't seen alot of requests regarding this.

Deleted
    I would like to see something like that myself, instead of just 'omg look, we can now put leds on the belts, EVOLUTION!' I just want to see something not so predictable for once, but look how many sets they have to make every few months, do you think they can afford to start going crazy with them? I wish they could.

Also, art is a very subjective thing, but so far I haven't seen a single set that I like in T16, this has never happened before for me.

Deleted
    Would be pretty sweet

the main problem i see with chests is tabards.

right now tabards are just a flat texture like chests i imagine they would look weird as hell if chests had a model. but maybe im wrong idk.

would like to see it either way
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I agree that it shouldn't be all armour, but I also think it could potentially be more than just challenge mode sets too. I imagine if the transmog store items do take off, we'll probably see some very detailed stuff coming from there. I'd like to say getting it for Tier sets would be good, but as has been said, that happens more often than may be practical for the amount of work put in.

Another idea, again it may not be practical, is to have tier sets made as seperate models for each race/gender combination, retaining the overall look of the set, but changing the minor details that can cause them to look off on certain races.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the main problem i see with chests is tabards.

right now tabards are just a flat texture like chests i imagine they would look weird as hell if chests had a model. but maybe im wrong idk.

would like to see it either way
    I can imagine that wearing a tabard over something so intricate would just overwrite the model whilst its being worn, defaulting to the standard flat chest, similar to how most helms hide hair

The difference is that NPCs don't "wear" armor. It's built onto the actual NPC model, whereas player armor is a modular object that's worn and has to fit a variety of skeletons. One of those cases where dated tech is what holds them back from doing more with the armor. In Wrath we got some modeling on pants, but not a lot, just some bulk that was easy to add. However, it was on the upper leg and almost all characters have very similar structure from the knee on up. Torsos are all very different however, even aside from just male/female. This is likely why you saw a lot of bulky belt art as most characters are similar in the waist area.

TL;DR - Unlikely unless they overhaul the engine significantly.