Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lei Shen 10-man Heroic Guide

Hey all,

I created a Lei Shen Heroic guide for my guild, just an overview of the key aspects of the fight and how to deal with them. I thought I'd share it with the MMO community as well, in case anyone could get any use out of it - I know I struggled when I was looking for information! If you have any feedback, please let me know

There's a screenshot of each section of the guide below and I'll post a download link at the bottom of this in case you'd like to tailor the guide/images for specific players.

DISCLAIMER: This guide is intended to give an overview of the Lei Shen 10-man Heroic encounter, with advice on how to handle key abilities. This strategy is not tailored to a specific raid composition, though does favour the use of Warlocks and Deathknights, which are commonly used in most ideal compositions for this fight, irrespective of strategy. The execution of the transition phases in particular will change somewhat depending on available classes, mostly due to the number of players able to soak Static Shocks alone.

OUR KILL:
    (Mage PoV)

(Prot Paladin PoV)

LINK TO INTRODUCTION - Strongly suggest running 3 healers if you are able to. Makes the transitions significantly safer and the DPS requirement is fairly low relative to current gear levels.

LINK TO PHASE 1

1/3/3/3 - This is the split my guild are using. For the kill, we actually changed it so that the lone tank was at the green quadrant, meaning their run there wouldn't be interrupted by Overcharge.

LINK TO TRANSITION 1

2/2/3/3 - This is the other split that is fairly common, obviously which quadrants are 2s and which are 3s is up to you to decide based on your raid composition!

LINK TO TRANSITION 1 - ALTERNATE

LINK TO PHASE 2 - NOTE: If 2 healing, or if your DPS is very high whilst 3 healing, you can push through this phase without levelling Overcharge!

2/4/4 OR 3/3/4 are the most common 1/1/8 and a variety of other combinations will work with the right class balance; I'd recommend 2/4/4 or 3/3/4 - Whilst the below image shows 2/4/4, which was how we originally started doing this transition, for the kill we used 3/4/4, this was to ensure that each quadrant had an Overcharge target, just to spread out the pain a bit - it also means that there was a healer with the tanks, so one of the tanks could sprint away to pick up any loose adds or help out on other quadrants if required.

LINK TO TRANSITION 2 - NOTE: Overcharge may be a level lower if your DPS was high enough during Phase 2!

LINK TO PHASE 3

LINK TO CLASS TIPS

LINK TO STATIC SHOCK SOAKING TIPS

I hope that this may be of use to someone! I know I struggled to find a text guide and it took quite a lot of time to sift through the many help and tip threads to find useful information for myself.

I created the guide in Excel; feel free to download it and alter it as you require - just remember to mention that the original was mine !: http://sdrv.ms/14MeSGN

CHANGELOG:
    1) Diffused Lightning can't be taunted.
    2) Bouncing Bolt adds self buff which should be dispelled (attack speed + damage increase)
    3) Image resize to fit better - unfortunately some are still a little too wide, might have to reformat the document.
    4) Shaman are able solo soak Static Shock possible with Astral Shift and Shamanistic Rage
    5) Each pylon (bar any already capped at level 1) levels up at the start of each transition phase.
    6) Removed the suggestion to pull away from the pylon if behind on DPS - too risky with the accumulated stacks of Discharged Energy.
    7) Added alternate 2/2/3/3 split for Transition 1
    8) Reformatted post to make it easier to read.
    9) Phase 2 can be done without levelling Overcharge with sufficient DPS. Added notes for P2 and T2.

10) Strongly suggest 3 healing
    11) Added our kill video, Mage PoV
    12) Added comments on P1 transition.
    13) Added comments on P2 transition.
    14) Amended spacing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Zabuzan, GM and RL of <Origin>, Alonsus-EU, 11/13HC (10-man)
    Recruiting for Lei Shen, Ra-Den and 5.4!
    www.origin-alonsus.com - Guild Website
    MMO-Champion Recruitment Thread
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Zabuzan; 2013-08-12 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Changes #11-14

you are a gentleman and a scholar for posting such an extensive guide

10+ Year Old Account
    No worries - I spent ages looking for one and couldn't find one, so decided that going through it in detail and writing my own was the best course of action! This is just one strategy option of course, but I think it's in line with the majority of 10-man HC videos that I've seen.
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Deleted
    Woah! this is awesome, can't say how accurate progressing it at the moment. Thanks a bunch.

Enha/Ele shamans can solo soak Static Shock with SR+AS. Might need a priest shield/Sac/Purity depending on gear.
    Last edited by Razecog; 2013-07-25 at 05:37 PM. Reason: I'm retarded
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

My guild will soon start progressing Dark Animus and I don't expect it to take too long. Then we'll go to Lei Shen. Thank you very much for this guide.

AMZ is a better option over Purgatory for Static Shock soaking.

Unless the diffusion chain is spell reflected or grounded with a totem, the add that spawns will fixate on the person hit by the lightning, so you can't just taunt it to offtank. Also these adds don't have a melee attack but instead a melee-range chain lightning that zaps people nearby. Priest void tendrils keeps them rooted really well.

Adds that spawn when a bouncing bolt lands buff themselves with a very nasty damage/attack speed increase. Offensively dispel it during transitions (it may be possible to spellsteal but I doubt it), especially if there isn't a tank close enough to get threat on it.

Lei Shen buffs every totem by 1 level before the transition phases begin. So in the first transition phase all the pillars will be level 2 (assuming you did phase 1 properly) and in the second transition phase you'll probably have diffuse lightning and overcharge at level 3 and bouncing bolts at level 2 depending on how quickly you DPS him to 30%.

The timing of the abilities in phase 1 and 2 can vary quite a bit. Especially when you're talking about abilities that are tied to the pillars relative to abilities that aren't. If you want them to line up a certain way (for example, so that you don't get ball lightning at the same time as bouncing bolts in phase 2), you have to set the timing up properly yourself by linking him to the pillar at the right moment. Also apart from the first pillar of each phase, he usually casts the pillar abilities as soon as he connects with them, but sometimes it gets pushed back. It's usually not a problem, though it can be annoying (at least on 25 man) if you're trying to mass spell reflect the diffusion chain and he delays so long that the 5 second duration expires and he zaps the entire ranged/healer group.

Finally, I didn't see a mention of discharged energy. It's not a major change from normal mode, but on heroic discharged energy gives everyone a 50 second stacking debuff that makes moving between pillars a lot more painful, particularly between the 3rd and 4th pillar in phase 1. Use whatever tricks you can to minimize the time he spends in between the pillars. The only ability that makes him actually move faster is a monk's provoke but it's not a huge deal if you don't have that. This also means that moving him away from the bouncing bolt pillar if you don't get him to 65% fast enough in phase 1 is very dangerous. At that point you'll probably have 20-25 stacks already and at best you'll head into the transition phase with a lot of people in rough shape.

That's a really nice guide. Thanks for sharing it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thursley View Post
    Unless the diffusion chain is spell reflected or grounded with a totem, the add that spawns will fixate on the person hit by the lightning, so you can't just taunt it to offtank. Also these adds don't have a melee attack but instead a melee-range chain lightning that zaps people nearby. Priest void tendrils keeps them rooted really well.

Adds that spawn when a bouncing bolt lands buff themselves with a very nasty damage/attack speed increase. Offensively dispel it during transitions (it may be possible to spellsteal but I doubt it), especially if there isn't a tank close enough to get threat on it.

Lei Shen buffs every totem by 1 level before the transition phases begin. So in the first transition phase all the pillars will be level 2 (assuming you did phase 1 properly) and in the second transition phase you'll probably have diffuse lightning and overcharge at level 3 and bouncing bolts at level 2 depending on how quickly you DPS him to 30%.

The timing of the abilities in phase 1 and 2 can vary quite a bit. Especially when you're talking about abilities that are tied to the pillars relative to abilities that aren't. If you want them to line up a certain way (for example, so that you don't get ball lightning at the same time as bouncing bolts in phase 2), you have to set the timing up properly yourself by linking him to the pillar at the right moment. Also apart from the first pillar of each phase, he usually casts the pillar abilities as soon as he connects with them, but sometimes it gets pushed back. It's usually not a problem, though it can be annoying (at least on 25 man) if you're trying to mass spell reflect the diffusion chain and he delays so long that the 5 second duration expires and he zaps the entire ranged/healer group.

Finally, I didn't see a mention of discharged energy. It's not a major change from normal mode, but on heroic discharged energy gives everyone a 50 second stacking debuff that makes moving between pillars a lot more painful, particularly between the 3rd and 4th pillar in phase 1. Use whatever tricks you can to minimize the time he spends in between the pillars. The only ability that makes him actually move faster is a monk's provoke but it's not a huge deal if you don't have that. This also means that moving him away from the bouncing bolt pillar if you don't get him to 65% fast enough in phase 1 is very dangerous. At that point you'll probably have 20-25 stacks already and at best you'll head into the transition phase with a lot of people in rough shape.

1) Hadn't picked up that the diffused lightning wasn't tankable, will amend! Good to know, but was planning to CC any adds anyway so works out the same in the end.
    2) Didn't figure the bouncing bolts would be too challenging to handle, but they'll be an extra level higher so dispelling will be even more important if one gets through.
    3) Thanks for the clarification on all pylons levelling pre each transition - will amend that to.
    4) Nobody seems to know the exact timing as to when the movement between pylons should occur, so that's why I've left it out for now as I won't know until we have killed it!
    5) Not personally very concerned with discharged energy, I've seen it's pretty massive raid damage on Heroic but I have also seen videos where guilds pull away from the pillar (very briefly. Our DPS is pretty solid though so not worried about having to do that - but I'll make a note of it above anyway.
    6) Thanks for all the info!

Will make amendments tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razecog View Post
    Enha/Ele shamans can solo soak Static Shock with SR+AS. Might need a priest shield/Sac/Purity depending on gear.
    Did see this mentioned elsewhere actually - will add it as well. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    AMZ is a better option over Purgatory for Static Shock soaking.
    Will bear this in mind - seems to be a debated topic on a few threads I've read over the last week; thanks.
    Last edited by Zabuzan; 2013-07-26 at 08:50 AM.
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Adds that spawn when a bouncing bolt lands buff themselves with a very nasty damage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabuzan View Post
    No worries - I spent ages looking for one and couldn't find one, so decided that going through it in detail and writing my own was the best course of action! This is just one strategy option of course, but I think it's in line with the majority of 10-man HC videos that I've seen.
    The reason why you didn't find a guide is because it is impossible to make an accurate guide, since depending on your raid composition, the transition tactic will change at least 80% of the time. While i wana honor you for the effort and say good job i will point some tips.

Fight changing Classes: Warlock and Death knight. Any of those will change the fight completely.

The exact timing of moving between pillars is as folows.
    1->2 : 2nd tank taunts off you when you get decapitate.
    2->3: Tank moves few seconds after TS
    3->4 :Tank moves while Lei Shen casts TS

2nd phase:
    1st movement is timed few seconds before 3rd difusion chain hits. Basicly you start moving WITH speed increase when u get the 4 sec warning. It will time Ball lightning spawn 2-3 seconds after overcharge explosion so you wont die stacked in the overcharge.
    Moving from overcharge to balls is 2nd fusion slash.

About discharge energy, using speed while moving between pillars is mandatory, If u dont have any use a tank to taunt from max range and move the boss fast.Use all raid cds in phase one on second and 3rd movement that you wont need in transition.

About the 1/3/3/3 spit on first transition, while many guilds said they did it, my advice is that you avoid this split. Helm on tank will force other ppl to help him, and he will always spawn adds cuz he cant soak both alone.

With all this said your guide is nowhere complete thus not very helpfull,because as of now it is just tips and advices. You have to list what classes go to what squares and what they use to handle different combination of abilities. Unfortunately i didnt find any logs of your guild on lei shen so i can't help you further than that, but with more responses and info you should have your guide complete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luravua View Post
    Adds that spawn when a bouncing bolt lands buff themselves with a very nasty damage
    Made a note to add that in yesterday evening; updated the images now!

Have made a few changes now and reuploaded all of the images, the size still isn't perfect but it should be a bit better at least. Does anyone else have any further suggestions or comments? We aren't starting on this until Sunday so have until then to get all the key bits sorted!
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

This tutorial looks much more complicated than the fight itself But respect for the work done

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tishko View Post
    The reason why you didn't find a guide is because it is impossible to make an accurate guide, since depending on your raid composition, the transition tactic will change at least 80% of the time. While i wana honor you for the effort and say good job i will point some tips.

Fight changing Classes: Warlock and Death knight. Any of those will change the fight completely.

The exact timing of moving between pillars is as folows.
    1->2 : 2nd tank taunts off you when you get decapitate.
    2->3: Tank moves few seconds after TS
    3->4 :Tank moves while Lei Shen casts TS

2nd phase:
    1st movement is timed few seconds before 3rd difusion chain hits. Basicly you start moving WITH speed increase when u get the 4 sec warning. It will time Ball lightning spawn 2-3 seconds after overcharge explosion so you wont die stacked in the overcharge.
    Moving from overcharge to balls is 2nd fusion slash.

About discharge energy, using speed while moving between pillars is mandatory, If u dont have any use a tank to taunt from max range and move the boss fast.Use all raid cds in phase one on second and 3rd movement that you wont need in transition.

About the 1/3/3/3 spit on first transition, while many guilds said they did it, my advice is that you avoid this split. Helm on tank will force other ppl to help him, and he will always spawn adds cuz he cant soak both alone.

With all this said your guide is nowhere complete thus not very helpfull,because as of now it is just tips and advices. You have to list what classes go to what squares and what they use to handle different combination of abilities. Unfortunately i didnt find any logs of your guild on lei shen so i can't help you further than that, but with more responses and info you should have your guide complete.
    It's not meant to be a complete, all inclusive guide - it's a summary of the key changes on heroic and the main strategic points surrounding that. I've also left it as a blank template with regards to which classes are being used so it's less important where specific people go in the transition - it's open to people using their brains to plug things in correctly for their comp.

1/3/3/3 split vs 2/2/3/3 seems to be a debated topic. I've chosen to go with 1/3/3/3, it's just a suggestion - I prefer it for the extra control during the first transition and for use the lone person is a Prot Paladin (me), so I have easy self heals and Speed of Light if I get Helm (+emergency Speed pots and Nitro Boots). Just needs to drag the add close enough to a dispeller and make sure to catch the second bounce before you get a second add - a first is usually unavoidable unless the bolts overlap.

Using speed increases to get between pillars is a no brainer - tanks do it even on normal, so didn't think it was necessary to reaffirm this for heroic.

The detail for moving between pillars is useful to have confirmed, was working on a similar assumption based on videos I've seen.

With regards to your last comment; if I was about to start Lei Shen (which is why I ended up making this guide, originally just for my own guild), I'd find this pretty useful as a broad overview of what to expect and how to handle key abilities / pylon levels / awareness of new mechanics / dealing with lightning orbs etc. The timing for specific abilities is going to vary depending on how you approach the fight and the quadrants during transitions will vary depending on composition, but it doesn't change the basic outline of the fight. Obviously, it's not going to be as good as having actually killed the boss and knowing the ins and outs of exactly what your raid composition has available, but that wasn't what I was aiming to achieve.

If I was to write an exhaustive guide of exactly how every (viable) raid composition should handle every situation, it'd take years - but there is nothing I've found with a good summary of the fight and how to handle it on Heroic, so that's what I've (hopefully) provided!

For my own guild, I've taken this outline and allocated specific players to specific roles and quadrants - that's why I attached the spreadsheet as well, so people can amend the template for their own teams if they would like.

Thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
    This tutorial looks much more complicated than the fight itself But respect for the work done
    If that's true, then I'm looking forward to a quick kill Sounds good to me!

- - - Updated - - -

Will change the DK soak to suggest using AMZ to solo soak (with the other personal CDs available).
    Last edited by Zabuzan; 2013-07-26 at 08:54 AM.
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Quote Originally Posted by Zabuzan View Post
    1/3/3/3 split vs 2/2/3/3 seems to be a debated topic. I've chosen to go with 1/3/3/3, it's just a suggestion - I prefer it for the extra control during the first transition and for use the lone person is a Prot Paladin (me), so I have easy self heals and Speed of Light if I get Helm (+emergency Speed pots and Nitro Boots). Just needs to drag the add close enough to a dispeller and make sure to catch the second bounce before you get a second add - a first is usually unavoidable unless the bolts overlap.
    What you could do instead is have your co-tank on the adjacent platform taunt the bouncing adds over to him, make sure there's a purger there and possibly a hybrid that can DPS/heal for a short period to DPS them down. I don't know your specific group comp but there are several combinations that could work like that or you could be over there if you have a co-tank that has even better mobility options than you for dealing with Helm. I think that might be every tank except a DK.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 2013-07-26 at 02:59 PM.

quick question regarding p2 - is there a specific reason why overcharge is leveled up? are people doing this to have enough dps?

we are currently progressing on this fight, about the 4th night now (2m hp wipes ) and we only level up the east platform. and that was with 3 healers, when we dropped to 2, we had to slow down a bit to kill ball lightnings before starting transition.

i'm just wondering if the dps is that tight for some, or if there is some other reason that i am unaware of!

thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe it's to give plenty of time to push the boss - are you guys using Heroism in P2??

We aren't actually starting this until Sunday, so I'll see how it goes and get back to you!
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

no bloodlust, no 2nd pots in phase 2. saving it all for the end. but for some reason everyone forgets how to play the game as soon as p3 starts, which is why we cant have nice things.

but, no, we push to 2nd transition without leveling up overcharge. it was closer when we 3 healed (90+ energy on the last platform, sometimes itd hit max and we'd stand there in the scary aoe for about 2 seconds), but with 2 healers we push to the transition with the 3rd platform leveled once and at about 65 energy (around there, i think). we make sure people arent using 2min cds twice in the first phase. save them for p2.

obviously we overgear it now, but i assume everyone who is working on it overgears it, and thats why i was wondering why people even mentioned any kind of dps checks in p1 or p2, and leveling up 2 platforms, etc. we push to 1st transition before the decap goes out on final platform. 2 healing, we can push it before we even get to the final platform, but its messy so we just stop dps and wait until we move.

world of logs . com /reports/rt-6d1z5lprtp9fr75l/ - logs from last night. i cannot post links. =(

Deleted
    Very nice guide Zabuzan, I cant wait to start progressing on lei shen heroic next raid