Deleted

JC: Perfect vs. rare = same stats, more expensive?

Ok.

I don't get this at all.

Why do some people buy perfect gems when they can buy rare gems with exactly the same stats much cheaper?

i just put up some perfect gems and normal rares with the same stats.
    i found that people bought the perfect gems more than the normal rare ones, even though there is a 340G difference.

WHY?!

10+ Year Old Account
    the economy is just weird. thats realy al i can think of. Maybe its something with Perfect is more rare as its a chance instead of 100% cut.
    Who knows?

No Tusk Club.

Because most of the AH prices revolve around AH power users, which means they are driven by addon scanner/posters like TSM or auctionator.

This means that nobody is manually looking up the price of Bold gems, then looking at the price of Perfect Bold gems, then posting them at a similar price, which means there is very little human "common sense" involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are silly, I know there's people that think having the perfect green gems (same stats) are the mark of a scrub, and will take no less then Rare cut gems.

Takes all kinds, and as long as your gems are selling, don't worry about it.

Might shock people who play this game all the time..... but there are these people who play only a few hours a week or just on weekends and they don't follow forums or pay much attention to patch notes.

It is very likely they don't know rare gems exist and just happened to see the perfect ones available when searching for the green ones.

The perfect cuts look nicer in gem sockets.

Yes, really.
    Thank you to Serrin for the signature!
    PC Stuffs: i7-4790K | Z97X-SLI | 16GB DDR3-1866 | GTX-780 | 256GB Samsung EVO | 1TB WD Blue | SuperNOVA 650 Gold | Fractal r4 Blackout | Dark Rock Pro 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeypower View Post
    Why do some people buy perfect gems when they can buy rare gems with exactly the same stats much cheaper?
    Quite the opposite on my server... The rares sell for upwards of 200g depending on the cut, the perfects can sell for as low as 25g and
    yet so, so, soooo many players pay the high price just to have the rare rather than the perfect(which we all know is exactly the same.)
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

people are willing to pay extra to have the gem icon they want

that, or they don't realise

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S Blieft View Post
    Quite the opposite on my server... The rares sell for upwards of 200g depending on the cut, the perfects can sell for as low as 25g and
    yet so, so, soooo many players pay the high price just to have the rare rather than the perfect(which we all know is exactly the same.)
    Same here.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Not only is it usually the opposite on my server, but I've seen the balance of perfect vs. normal go from one to the other depending on the colour of the gem. Or one week the perfects will be a lot cheaper, next week a lot dearer. It fluctuates.

But yes it is silly for them to be different prices, always leaves me scratching my head. There's a lot of factors determining listed price. Maybe someone listed a shitload of perfects when there weren't many competing normal gems and then the market re-stabilised and they got undercut a lot. Or maybe a lot of other possibilities. Shrug.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S Blieft View Post
    Yes, I suspect a lot of people look on guides, see the name of the normal gem and don't realise there is even such a thing as a perfect with the same stats. If you don't have a JC and don't pay a lot of attention to the game it's quite understandable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Think it makes perfect sense amd is no big deal. It varies.

Not everyone knows about perfect cuts. Rare cuts tend to be more competitive as thats where the volumes are.
    Perfect cuts are a mini market so the demand comes from those who know about them. Common sense says you would look at both the price of rare and perfect suts, but people are lazy and they dont always do this. I tend to save my common gems for other things.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    rare cuts go down easily while perfect is a small market and tend to stick near the starting price, and people want to enchant/socket the gear fast, not bothering to check both prices (so they check only perfects which are usually cheaper)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naplam View Post

Yes, really.
    That.....! :-D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeypower View Post
    Ok.

I don't get this at all.

i just put up some perfect gems and normal rares with the same stats.
    i found that people bought the perfect gems more than the normal rare ones, even though there is a 340G difference.

WHY?!
    Wait, Rare is cheaper on your server?

Perfect is normally cheaper on my server, due to you can buy about 20-40 uncut greens for the same price as 1 uncut rare gem. Then you just craft the gems you aim to sell and hope for a perfect proc or many more. (On 40, I have an avg. of 3-5 perfect). When you get the perfect, you just sell them a little cheaper than the rare as you got multiple for the price of 1 rare uncut.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Buy the cheapest one and let others drown in ignorance for a while. Let them be and be happy about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Wait, Rare is cheaper on your server?
    Way cheaper on Proudmoore, always and forever.

Prices fluctuate by server and seller. I buy whichever is less expensive.

Also, you have to consider that perfects, while more "rare", are less expensive to make. Sometimes that means that they will get posted at cheap prices (if you've got those sellers on your particular server).
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Yes, really.
    I 100% accept this as truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

Yes, really.
    That totally justifies paying more. lol