Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blood in the Snow Scenario

I like to PUG heroic scenarios for some fast valor points and found that most of them aren't really a problem, including the bonus objectives.

However, the Blood in the Snow scenario seems to be a different kind of beast: I got the bonus objective once or twice with two other 525+ guildmates (3 DDs with some decent off heals), but with a PUG the bonus objective seems virtually impossible.

Also, the unavoidable random group damage from dots and other stuff is quite high, which makes this scenario a PITA without a dedicated healer (=higher chance of survivial, but even lower chance of getting the bonus objective).

So... do you have any tips for PUGing this scenario?

(I like to use the extra action button to destroy the war banners quickly before engaging a new group)

One key subject is to use the shimmering weeds well to survive the incoming damage. Every camp has one shimmering weed you can use to survive.

my tip would be dont pug it. i thought the extra action button would be used for targets with high hp.. as the dwarves continously shoot at them dont they? anyway. some scenarios are just not worth it to try.. the battle of the high seas is another imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    my tip would be dont pug it. i thought the extra action button would be used for targets with high hp.. as the dwarves continously shoot at them dont they? anyway. some scenarios are just not worth it to try.. the battle of the high seas is another imo.
    You use the guns to kill banners before you pull. Its 1 shot per use so using it on the actual mobs is a waste. Using it to kill the banners reduces the damage they do significantly. I dont really notice huge damage here as i run it on 3 toons pally/priest/lock (get off mah tokens) and prot/holy/aff i dont notice damage.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    some scenarios are just not worth it to try.. the battle of the high seas is another imo.
    Seas is probably one of the easiest to snatch the bonus on with a pug. From start to finish, it's just a matter of not standing in the cannon fire targeting circles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    You use the guns to kill banners before you pull. Its 1 shot per use so using it on the actual mobs is a waste. Using it to kill the banners reduces the damage they do significantly. I dont really notice huge damage here as i run it on 3 toons pally/priest/lock (get off mah tokens) and prot/holy/aff i dont notice damage.
    ok but how u can so speed?

10+ Year Old Account
    you can out range the troll on the bridge if you run past the pack where the bonus objective boss is. I don't remember exact how far, but I know I ran a little bit past and he ended up resetting if no one hit him.

You can also pull the bonus objective boss without killing the group at the campfire, just kill the casters before the cave, and pull him out into the open.
    And you can interrupt the bleed, which really does insane amounts of damage if you do not have a class capable of healing with you.

But generally I agree, this seems to be the most difficult scenario to get the bonus valor. While on some others like ragefire or battle at the seas you might have several minutes left after defeating the bonus objective with a standard pug, in blood it is really hard to meet the requirements. I assume they want you to pre-clear the area (is that possible?), but who would seriously do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a Monk, you can Paralyze and ignore the Dire Troll boss on the bridge. I don't think any other class' CC works on it, so it's an oversight or a bug (or maybe just a very peculiar advantage?). But you can Paralyze it and run by, effectively skipping a boss. Helps a lot towards making the timer.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    I noticed that too, i got the challenge reward with 1 second remaining today in a pug.
    All i did was, follow the normal route, then blow all cds on Farastu while having the trolls from the nearby camp on you, and hope you kill him before they kill you.

Deleted
    done this often with pugs and havent failed the achieve ones.

pull large lay down lots of aoe, stuns,silences. stuff diesm grab shimmer weed when low and go too next pack.
    ooh yeah and always snipe the rage totem before pulling, then a ferocity pet can easily tank 8-9 of them without the glyphed mend pet or spirit bond (though they help a lot)

I've found it mostyl to just be a case of having to be aggressive
    aka don't dissmount and pull the large troll and single target him on the bridge, but just run straight from that caster mini boss to that part with the bonus timer boss, pull everything, target the banner down asap, aoe like mad, use the healing buff thingy that is around to mitigate the initial heavy dmg, pull the bonus timer boss when the big troll is still alive if needed, it doesn't do much if you are capable to avoid one "don't stand in fire" mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    you can out range the troll on the bridge if you run past the pack where the bonus objective boss is. I don't remember exact how far, but I know I ran a little bit past and he ended up resetting if no one hit him.
    Actually, you may not use the bridge.

Kill the first pack.
    The timer begins, go to the second pack and kill it.
    Then, go the third pack and avoid pulling the two (three ?) patrols. Be careful, the third pack is the most dangerous one, by far. Avoid the ice circle that root you or you may have a very bad time.
    After this pack, go back to the beginning of the scenario and go to the next pack by the north, avoiding some patrols. Kill this pack and the elemental boss. End of timer.

If nobody is dead during the run, you should have te timer with a safe margin.

Tl;dr: there are exactly three packs you HAVE to deal with during the timer. Don't pull anything unnecessary and you should make it in time.
    Last edited by Senen; 2013-07-27 at 02:49 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some groups are going to be geared 480 and some groups are going to be geared 540+ and I suspect that explains a lot of the difference between "seems impossible" and "never had a problem with it." Sort of like Brawler's Guild.

Plus CC and other mob/trash skipping where possible. But, especially, gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Some groups are going to be geared 480 and some groups are going to be geared 540+ and I suspect that explains a lot of the difference between "seems impossible" and "never had a problem with it." Sort of like Brawler's Guild.

Plus CC and other mob/trash skipping where possible. But, especially, gear.
    this regardless of anything this one has the most tight timer for bonus objective from them all - not saying its bad - this one just doesnt really give margins for errors thats all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never really had problems reaching it, then again i tend to go 1 tank 2 dps, me being tank as pally, can aoe pull alot there then as long as interrupts are done.
    Defender of the light and cookies
    Rhagen
    WoW Videos

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    this regardless of anything this one has the most tight timer for bonus objective from them all - not saying its bad - this one just doesnt really give margins for errors thats all.
    It's definitely tight for low ilvls, but higher on you can just brute force it to death, much like the rest of them.
    By far the tightest of the times as you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Deleted
    Just did this without issue in a pug on my alt, I had 490 ilvl (hunter) together with a 500 ilvl dk and a 510 ilvl ww monk, I was topping damage by far though and using my pet to tank, did the speed run with 1 minute to spare. We did not use the extra action button at all, and the two pugs, who were really crappy, died twice, I had to solo the trash before the last boss.

I have never had any issue with this speed run on any character with any group comp, all from 2 tanks 1 dps to 1 tank 2 healers the speed run was never an issue in this scenario.

The absolute easiest h-scenarios to get the bonus in are Crypt of Forgotten Kings, Battle on the High Seas and A Brewing Storm. Blood in the Snow can depend on group comp and how fast people can kill the various troll packs.

-Use weeds, go across instead of using the bridge
    -Don't die
    -Sheep the berserker next to the Blizzard casting mini-boss if the damage is too big

The timer used to be overly tight but I think they buffed it by 30 seconds or a minute at some point due to my feedback