57 64.77%
  • No thanks.

22 25.00%
  • It's good, but heres how it could change. [say in reply]

7 7.95%
  • It's bad, but it could be made good like this [say in reply]

2 2.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I didn't vote cause I REALLY want both. ;P /greed But I am all for sub races!

I would LOVE for my Dwarf to look like a proper Dark Iron! I'd also kill for playable Gilgoblins, though I know that's a long shot. But man they look cool and would satisfy my need for an oceanic race - least for a while. (still ready to race change my hunter to Naga)

"There is a thin, semantic line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." - Welcome to Night Vale.

Grunt
    I kind of like the idea but at the same time I'm sure that the "sub race" thing would be baked into the blizzard store somehow.

I think the problem with sub-races is that not all races really have options. I mean, what would gnomes get? Leper gnomes? Ugh... Mechagnomes? Wouldn't that be a huge deal, lore-wise? Unless they went the route of not all races getting a sub-race, but we already have players complaining about races lacking representation and I can only imagine this increasing those issues exponentially.

I love the idea, I've been pulling for it ever since I first heard of it, but I just keep seeing more and more reasons why they shouldn't as time goes by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurakol View Post
    I kind of like the idea but at the same time I'm sure that the "sub race" thing would be baked into the blizzard store somehow.
    Why? Races aren't even tied to expansions anymore so why would this feature be on the store?
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Would love sub races, but you would have to do some serious lore mongering to make them work for all races. Sure dwarves can easily work in Dark Irons, but what about Draenei? Broken and lost ones use a completely different model (Tauren for the broken), best you could do is some sort of non evil Eredar (Hey the Blood Elves accepted demonic power and turned out alright, whos to say all the Eredar went batshit evil like Archimonde)

And what of humans? technically they already have sub"races" since you can be white or a black, would they just add an asian skin tone and go the extra mile with actual facial features? (Guess you COULD just add a non worgen Gilnean and just keep the sexy voice acting.)

I wouldn't mind playing as a taunka or yaungol as tauren sub-race.
    Thanks a bunch for the Signature, Cthulhu Ftagn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpinwlock View Post
    Not a very good idea..
    This would never work, more RNG to a game that has already so much RNG in, no thx
    You don't know what the word "aesthetic" means, do you?
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

I'd personally love having high elves and wildhammer dwarves for alliance, and undead elves and brown orcs for horde. Then if they really wanted to wow me, they could toss in naga for both sides.

Yes, they should've done this long ago, and with new models coming and no time to make whole new races, they should seize the opportunity to reuse the models into subraces. WIldhammer, Dark Iron, High Elves, Mag'har, tainted orcs, forest trolls... all would be awesome.

As for racials, they should just have the same racials as their base races.

Yeah, how about instead of a new race we get a good old new...
    My Little Borg: Friendship is Irrelevant

It would be really nice to have some sub races as choices for certain races, but I'm sure it's a """technical hurdle""" for Blizzard, so I doubt we'll see it anytime soon. Lorewise, the only sub-races I could see problems with are Yaungol and (possibly) Mechagnomes. But then again, since making gear that doesn't look like ass on certain races is already enough of a challenge for Blizzard, we, again, won't see it anytime soon with the sub-races.
    "Bigheaded Poster" Bona-fied 100%, Grade-A Bigheaded. :3

I'm fine with the idea of sub-races and perhaps they'll be available with the character model updates. For myself, I'm actually hoping that whatever the next expansion is that it doesn't contain any new classes, specs or races. We can survive an expansion without that and it will move the beta along quite nicely.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cammancy View Post
    It would be really nice to have some sub races as choices for certain races, but I'm sure it's a """technical hurdle""" for Blizzard, so I doubt we'll see it anytime soon. Lorewise, the only sub-races I could see problems with are Yaungol and (possibly) Mechagnomes. But then again, since making gear that doesn't look like ass on certain races is already enough of a challenge for Blizzard, we, again, won't see it anytime soon with the sub-races.
    Since sub-races would use the same skeleton as base races (or something very similar), they wouldn't need a whole lot of trouble to adapt gear.

If they do add sub races, they can't make anything other than cosmetic changes, no edited racial abilities and all that. Just a dumb idea with how much balancing this game takes already.

Some races unfortunately don't split as easy as others without breaching the faction lines e.g I can't see Eredar siding with anyone never mind the alliance. Velen wouldn't allow it, and although Broken would be cool, is that really enough when other races could(/would) be getting a potential 3+ sub races?

It'd take a lot of work to make it feel right and not just slapped on, though they may simply just add a lot more skin choices to the new models and leave the sub species thing up to the players imagination. It is an MMORPG afterall, do we need to be told we're Dark Iron Dwarves? Hells no, if I wanna be a Dark Iron Dwarf I'll be a damned Dark Iron Dwarf!

Edit:

However thinking about what I just wrote that doesn't work for all the races either, Tauren skin colours hardly promotes sub species such as Taunu and Yaungol as many people want to play, so I mean they better have a good idea (character builds would be a nice way of doing this though if Blizz ever added that wit the new skeletons, fat belfs! )
    Last edited by Dessan; 2013-07-27 at 11:01 PM.

They're working on new character models for all the old races, that's good enough imo. New races/classes are interesting because you discover new worlds/areas and find new people who become your allies. With sub-races you'd almost have to have the next expansion be a dimensional rift or something to explain where all these new sub-races of the existing well known ones have been hiding all this time.