Holy/disc raiders with healer alts?

So I've been trying to get some alt runs going for ToT10, but we sort of start hitting a wall at Tortos/Megaera because our alt healers simply aren't used to healing in raids and they prove to be insufficient. And I've started to get a bit bored of dps:ing and want to level and gear up one of my +85 alts for the alt raids. My question to you as raiding priests is if you find any other healing classes harder/easier to play since you're used to a certain kind of healing with holy/disc? This is obviously very individual but I want to see if there at least are any tendencies.
    Last edited by Overdispersion; 2013-07-29 at 09:55 AM.

Personally nothing I've tried has been as comfortable as a priest. Don't know why. It is probably because the first class you learn to heal with will be the one you are most likely enjoying it the most. Wouldn't really want to change and if I really needed to level an alt healer it would probably be just another priest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ClixxHeals View Post
    So I've been trying to get some alt runs going for ToT10, but we sort of start hitting a wall at Tortos/Megaera because our alt healers simply aren't used to healing in raids and they prove to be insufficient. And I've started to get a bit bored of dps:ing and want to level and gear up one of my +85 alts for the alt raids. My question to you as raiding priests is if you find any other healing classes harder/easier to play since you're used to a certain kind of healing with holy/disc? This is obviously very individual but I want to see if there at least are any tendencies.
    I have 2 healers as alts, one is disc priest(my best geared alt) and my shaman, which is my 2nd best geared alt. Upside on disc priest is that you can spirit shell every other rampage. Downside is that the on demand burst healing is on the low side. This is where resto shamans are quite decent. Healing stream totems & Healing tide help a lot during the rampages and as healing stream totem does decent healing(especially when combined with the earthliving enchant, is on low cooldown, reduces the damage taken from Rampage by 10%, assuming you have the glyph. I'm sure every healer has it's ups and downs on that fight. Replace rampage with the big stomp from Tortos and you got same healing tac for Tortos.

Deleted
    I mained a holy/disc priest for the first tier this expansion (shadow now), and my best geared alt atm is a resto druid, which I feel very comfortable with playing. I don't know if that's any help to you, though, since I've played this druid as resto since mid-WotLK. The only thing that feels similar is the mobility, as I cannot say the same for my shaman or paladin who both require a lot more standing still. Can't comment on monk since mine is still stuck on level 40-something.

10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion would be that MW Monks have the complexity and competitiveness that Priest healing has. Personally though I'm kind of partial to HoT / CD juggling that RDruid is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilbu View Post
    Personally nothing I've tried has been as comfortable as a priest. Don't know why. It is probably because the first class you learn to heal with will be the one you are most likely enjoying it the most.
    I've found this to be particularly true, as well, the other healers never seem to have a large enough toolbox of spells to play with.

However I have Paladin, Druid and Shaman alt healers. Still working on my Monk. Of my alts, I find my Druid the easiest to play, but I enjoy my Paladin the most. Both are pretty versatile though.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't feel fully comfortable with any other healing class/spec I've tried than Hpriest, bar the Paladin during WotLK Holy light spam, that I could do and I really loved to do as well. (Was nice that diversity, logging my alt healer to become a tankhealer instead of a raidspammer, whereas we are basicly jack of all trades now...well not the Holypriest in 25man because of Chakra but oh well). I'm even not really cool with disc, only time I seriously was disc was on hc lk 25 to spam shields on 4 (or was it 5?) groups non stop, wooohoooo! but I feel kinda handicapped with it and I simply hate the dps/heal combo.

Take a shaman for instance, when clumbed up ala Jinrok I find Shaman to be like 10000 times easier than my priest, hitting 100k+ hps with basicly t14 raidfinder gear, when spread out though I am totally hopeless and am bottom of the pack. There are just some things I really miss on other healers, on my shaman I really miss my 1 minute Mindbender for example and go oom way too fast only to go 'using mindbender....oh shit".
    Only class I haven't really tried healing on is a druid, always hated renew on priest (PoH priest in icc) so I cannot imagine being a hot class.

The fact I have 4 lvl 90 Holy priests should speak for itself :P

MWs are absurdly good with the metagem. they're really lacking in poor gear, however.

if you're starting from ding 90 gear, i'd probably go for a holy paladin as they are pretty well-rounded and don't really require the LMG to function.

My main has been a holy priest since i started back in classic days, but my alt, is also a priest people think I'm crazy lol but alt priest main specc is disc i can play both well, but i can also play shamans and paladins as healers have done in past.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with more than 2 priests hehe

Deleted
    I would think that a someone who played healer as main would be able to play any off the other heal classes an alt, probably playing it better than a dps who had made a healer alt, just because they all ready no the ins and outs of what to expect,

I've played all of the healing classes (minimally) - Holy Priest is my main and the only one I can stand to play otherwise is a Holy Paladin. I think in a 10m it will be very similar too. Holy Radiance is a smart PoH for gosh sakes :/ and Light of Dawn is Circle of Healing... Eternal Flame is Renew... Paladin's mastery leaves a heal behind just like EoL, but as an absorb, etc.

The issue I have with Monk is the fact that it feels like you can never really save anyone. Even Resto Druid... the pure hot classes just aren't the same.
    Last edited by Mazi; 2013-07-29 at 04:31 PM.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClixxHeals View Post
    The only thing that makes it harder is not having the same gear I have on my Priest. >.>
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I tried both Shaman and Holy Paladin at 85 back in Cata. Never tried Druid or MW beyond some low level dungeons, but I don't think I would enjoy HoT healing in raids.

Like a few other people have said, I don't find the other healers comfortable compared to my Priest. Maybe that's just because Priest > all.

All the healers are oddly similar and yet incredibly different at the same time. They all have mostly the same toolset, short 1min CD, big 3 min CD, 1-2 HoTs, a quick large expensive heal, a slow large expensive heal, and a slow small expensive heal. Yet they all play out entirely different, none of them really feel particularly similar.

From what I've experienced though is that it might take a little while to get used to, but once you're used to it swapping from one class to the other really isn't bad, there are nights when I'll raid on one healing class and then hop into arenas on another, and it's pretty okay. RDruid/Disc Priest are my two 90 healers right now, for raid healing I enjoy my Druid far more, but Priests are just boss in PvP. PvE healing on my Priest seems kind of boring, while PvP healing on my Druid is dumb cause I die instantly cause I have no gear.

To be honest though, no matter what you play you'll get the hang of if you do a few dungeons, especially if you're used to healing, keybinds can all kind of go in the same place. Flash heal is the same as Regrowth, Renew if the same as Rejuv, Tranq is the same as Barrier, Ironbark is the same as Spirit Shell, Cyclone is like Psychic Scream, etc. so it's really easy to swap characters if you keep all the same hotkeys more or less, at least I've found, and obviously some need to change (Druids have nothing like Void Shift, for example) but a lot of spells are similar enough that you'll get used to it really really fast.

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as getting used to healing in a certain way I'd place healers in two groups. Group A being priests, paladins and shamans, Group B being druids and monks. If you've played one healer in a group the other(s) is easier to learn. FWIW though I find the Monk toolkit to make all aspects of their play more fun (as in not just raids but also 5mans and other stuff)

Well, you could be like me and, you know, level a second priest lol.

But I also have a mistweaver that was my main in 5.0, it's very fun to never be targeted by crappy game mechanics I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    The issue I have with Monk is the fact that it feels like you can never really save anyone.
    soothe/surgespam is pretty good. you just have to be proactive about your renewing mists and chi so that you can uplift bomb after a big hit.

also, whatever you lose in 'saving' capability with a MW you make up in mobility. it's hard to play any other healer after getting a taste of OP mistweaver mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Well, you could be like me and, you know, level a second priest lol.

But I also have a mistweaver that was my main in 5.0, it's very fun to never be targeted by crappy game mechanics I must say.
    yeah, raiding as melee right now is pretty much pure retardmode. all you have to worry about is the occasional void zone.