Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Don't you guys ever just tire of this?

Every few months we'll see some sub numbers and they'll either be higher or lower than before. More likely to be lower these days.

What follows after seeing these numbers are the exact same threads/responses/thoughts/hate/apologies that we see every damn time!

We'll have numerous threads by (usually) the same people as the last time either stating "WoW is dying" or those on the other side with "WoW still has X more subs than Y game".

Then come the reasons for the sub loss:
    • LFR
    • LFD
    • Pet Battles
    • Low Population Realms
    • CRZ
    • Server Reputation
    • Social Interaction (Lack of)
    • Cataclysm
    • Dailies
    • Gating
    • Transmog
    • Bobby Kotick
    • RNG
    • Bots
    • Guild Levels
    • Banned Accounts
    • Summer
    • Too many epics
    • AFKing to epics
    • Old game
    • Much more competition
    • Blizz Store
    • Activision
    • Lazy Blizzard
    • Asian players
    • Old age
    • "X number is still a lot!"
    • "More than current MMOs!"
    • PvP balance
    • X nerf
    • Y buff
    • Lore (nothing after WoTLK is good)
    • "Pandas"
    • "They didn't cater to hardcores"
    • "They catered to casuals and bads"
    • "They didn't cater to ME"
    And so on...

Some of these reasons are perfectly valid but, the majority of them are nothing more than that particular poster's pet peeve that they like to put the blame solely upon. "I don't like LFR, that's what lost 1m subs!"

And so, this cycle continues year after year in the exact same fashion. We all know that WoW has been dying since Vanilla, afterall. Each expansion makes the game worse. Or it does until the next expansion then the previous one comes into view of the nostalgia radar and is suddenly a product sent by God him/herself.

I may be a Vanilla "vet" (a moronic term for a game) but it is my opinion that the game is vastly better now than it used to be. Do I attribute the losses to something I dislike about the game? No. It could literally be for all the reasons above, and more. I can think of ways to improve the game but I won't mention them here considering what this thread is about I think we all have our own ideas to improve the game and that's the point. These ideas improve the game in our eyes, not necessarily the player base's eyes.

Just wanted to add that WoW will never see numbers like it did in WoTLK. There are far more games in the MMO genre now and there is only a finite amount of people wanting to play an MMO, much less wanting to pay each month for one in this day and age.

So I ask, do you guys not get tired of going through the exact same process every few months?
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2013-07-26 at 08:00 PM.

Rarely updated...

So what about this topic differentiates it from the others on the same subject?

You forgot "Activision".
    Ponies are for little girls, deal with it.

Thanks for the list .

Welcome to the hamster wheel of mmo-c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    So what about this topic differentiates it from the others on the same subject?
    *sigh*... Always one I guess. "Hurr, you're QQing about QQ". That train of thought kinda makes it difficult to have an actual discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    You forgot "Activision".
    :O How could I forget that!?

Rarely updated...

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    So I ask, do you guys not get tired of going through the exact same process every few months?
    No, these threads are entertaining

I may be a Vanilla "vet" (a moronic term for a game) but it is my opinion that the game is vastly better now than it used to be.
    We're on the same boat then.

But ye i think the outcry these quarter announcements cause is a weird combination of conviction and worry. And some of course see it as a good time to have some quality trolling.

One bullet you missed on your list.... Banned Accounts.

No one ever bitches about that when the sub numbers come out, but you bet they
    yell and scream all season long about bots in battle grounds. Does no one ever stop to
    think that maybe, just maybe, some of those sub losses are actually a good thing for us? sheesh
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

Well there will always be a certain formula for a forum sorrunding a subject, nothing new there

Is it tiresome, yes. Is it worth digging through them to find new and interesting threads, yes indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestozaur View Post
    No, these threads are entertaining
    I won't argue with that really lol I try to guess which one on the list will be used next and the reasons given for it

Rarely updated...

Slowly but surely WoW is diying of old age.
    New expansions will gain some subs, but it will never reach the old peak.
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink22 View Post
    rogue "glory hole helm"

Quote Originally Posted by S Blieft View Post
    One bullet you missed on your list.... Banned Accounts.

No one ever bitches about that when the sub numbers come out, but you bet they
    yell and scream all season long about bots in battle grounds. Does no one ever stop to
    think that maybe, just maybe, some of those sub losses are actually a good thing for us? sheesh
    Oh, they could never be a good thing! Don't be silly!

Rarely updated...

i know what caused the sub losses this quarter, its summer and not everyone is sitting inside playing games, hell even i let my sub run out till 5.4.

i bet when it gets colder again they'll go back over 8m.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Slowly but surely WoW is diying of old age.
    New expansions will gain some subs, but it will never reach the old peak.
    It was an insane peak, and the odds of another MMO reaching it seem unlikely. Blizzard can always be proud of that

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    It was an insane peak, and the odds of another MMO reaching it seem unlikely. Blizzard can always be proud of that
    WoW is a bit of a freak of nature really. It just came out at the right time and just grew. Nothing lasts forever though, I guess.

Rarely updated...

The reason WoW is losing subs is obviously First Aid.

I hate levelling up First Aid. I could be using those mats for AH, or tailoring. First Aid is unbalanced and broken. And I hate it. And so does everyone else. Everyone hates levelling First Aid. No exceptions.

WoW is dying because of First Aid. Spread the word.

Well they do not cater to me so it's only natural they lose subs.

But to be honest WoW is just a very old game. It was amazing when it game out but it's just old now. They don't really upgrade it much, just give more of the same and an odd paint job here and there. Time is moving on and I think they're alienating both veteran players and also new ones by constantly changing the pace, catering to casuals, then to hardcores, then to mature players and then to younger ones. It would be fine if they took one direction and just kept at it.

Oh, they could never be a good thing! Don't be silly!
    I'm a silly goose! What was I thinking(upward inflection!). LOL.
    All in all, the list pretty much covers it and so long as ducks eat mosquitoes
    people will find something utterly pointless to argue into the ground. Sad. Sad, silly gooses! =)
    (yes, it should be Geese... but come one Gooses is just plain fun to say!)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    i know what caused the sub losses this quarter, its summer and not everyone is sitting inside playing games, hell even i let my sub run out till 5.4.
    I let mine run out too... I'm one of those represented in the losses, that just dawned on me. We both are hehe.

It's summer time and there's no way in a hogs bum I'm staying inside to raid 3 nites a week during the hottest part
    of the day in my shiithole, no air circulation, south facing apartment in my freaking faux-leather desk chair that would make
    even a powdered donut sweat. No way, no how. Not even if my guild paid for my sub for the rest of the year.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

WoW is a bit of a freak of nature really. It just came out at the right time and just grew. Nothing lasts forever though, I guess.
    I know it sounds weird, but I'm glad WoW is fading out a bit. Sometimes being the biggest and best leads to arrogance and ignorance... Sorta like CoD and BF and other major IPs, they seem to forget their roots and actual playerbase