Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I miss it terribly.. A part of me died when they removed the old talent tree. And the new one, even though it was advertised to eliminate cookiecutter specs did precisely the opposite. Only thing they achieved with the new talent tree was to make cookiecutter specs obvious.

I like the IDEA of the current talent system. Making meaningful choices (most of the time) is nice. The lack of total talents and not getting something fairly often when you level up is one of its biggest downsides.

Also, some of the talents for certain classes are just lame overall. The last Mage tier is boring as shit, and the entirety of the Shaman talents just seem watered down and lackluster.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ManjiSanji View Post
    I like the IDEA of the current talent system. Making meaningful choices (most of the time) is nice. The lack of total talents and not getting something fairly often when you level up is one of its biggest downsides.

Also, some of the talents for certain classes are just lame overall. The last Mage tier is boring as shit, and the entirety of the Shaman talents just seem watered down and lackluster.
    Hahah! I remember when they said " We want talent trees to have meaningful choices.". Sure all tiers have meaningful choices, but every choice is only meaningful for one activity so not much of a choice now is it? Almost all tiers are exactly the same; In each tier you have a one talent for PVP and two for PVE. It's horribly oversimplistic and still very much cookiecutter :P
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-07-27 at 04:54 AM.

Yea, I do. I had lot more interesting specs back then, in the pre-cata days.

The current talent system is an absolute debacle. The current talent system mostly only exists in PvP as a thing- and in PvP, it has managed to break it all to hell.

Talent system is the worst thing in WoW right now. But everyone seems to like it, because they don't see the second order effects or something. What fucking ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Hahah! I remember when they said " We want talent trees to have meaningful choices.". Sure all tiers have meaningful choices, but every choice is only meaningful for one activity so not much of a choice now is it? Almost all tiers are exactly the same; In each tier you have a one talent for PVP and two for PVE. It's horribly oversimplistic and still very much cookiecutter :P
    That's true, but I still feel like I have more really crucial choices than I USED to. I like that idea. I just don't have ENOUGH choices.

I miss getting a new point each level, and the feel of gradually accumulating power, but I prefer the new system hands down.

i found it a cumbersome mechanic full of barnacles and lacking excitement. Like a chocolate box full of dried bitter expired chocolate pieces with 2-3 tasty hazel nut creams in dozens of otherwise dried bitter and expired pieces

not that iam nostalgic over it. but i remember its shortcomings all too well.

I like how i can now switch my talents and glyphs for handling farming of large amounts of mobs. handling elite world mobs, handling different raid bosses by their nature, for scenario's, for pvp.

getting my guild to adapt like this brought on MASSIVE benefits.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2013-07-27 at 05:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ManjiSanji View Post
    That's true, but I still feel like I have more really crucial choices than I USED to. I like that idea. I just don't have ENOUGH choices.
    Yeah, indeed. As you said, the idea is good but when you only have 3 very situational choices it doesn't work. I think they should remove utility talents entirely and replace it with tweaks and buffs for damage/healing spells instead, things that allows you to alter how you play, what rotation and priorities you have when DPS/Healing etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    No it was terrible. People seem to think having more points to spend was somehow fun. Thats amusing considering most of them were used on filler talents.

The current system isn't perfect but its certainly an improvement. You only get whats important. No more useless fillers.
    Tell this to mage players and they will kill you in your sleep. Old mage talents were much more fun and interesting then what we have now. Specialy old fire pvp talents like blastwae or payback. Now we get boring **** like our lvl 90 tier where in one we are forced stay on one place, second criple our mana regen and forcing us to have this buff perma up or bb our dmg, and third cant be even use becous of random dmg in raid. So ye he old ones were much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I miss a brainless copy and paste system that has been replaced by real situational choice?

NO
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

I like the new talent system, but what I don't like is automatically receiving those old talent perks and new spells rather than training them.

As an example, I was in the middle of a dungeon on a warlock I was leveling when I dinged and got the wild imps ability. I didn't even notice that I had learned the ability because we were moving through the dungeon at a good clip and chain pulling trash, and I only later figured out that I must have gotten something when I saw the extra imps running around, at which point I went into the spell book to examine the ability. That to me is a bit unfulfilling from a character progression standpoint because it completely takes any need to act out of my hands. Now I know training ability ranks was pretty annoying back in the day, but I think the process of conversing with your trainer and training abilities facilitated some sense of growth. Something along the lines of "I have taken an action and now my character is stronger" rather than "I'm going about my business and the game gives me a new ability". Claiming the reward lends more legitimacy to it than being handed the reward, I guess is what I am trying to get at. Apologies for the lack of coherence.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Yeah, I'm missing it. With old system I was at least bothering about my talents. Turning talents into something like glyphs just removed them from game for me. Now only spec matters for me.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

It is a better system now, you get the same results that were critical talent points to take before, now they are automatically baselined.

If you have a problem with critical talent points added automatically, chances are you only liked old system because people could make really bad choices, which made you better and that was a horrible design. It is a lot easier to balance the game with fewer talents also, which is better for everyone.

The system isn't perfect now but I would rather have choice of 3 very different spells than dropping 5 points for increased damage and taking a worthless point just to get to 31 spec to get the main class spell, and so on..

next you will say you miss spell ranks, because ___________

you are wrong get over it, all those 70 talent points sucked just look at wrath options wotlk.openwow.com/talent

I like both the new one and the old one but in different ways. Obviously I miss the old one because I have the new one right infront of me. If for you 1% crit didn't look empowering for me it did. What I actually miss is having passive talents. Now passive talents are such a rarity. I just hate the warrior's second tier talents. Slow or Silence. Maybe I don't need either? In the previous talent tree I could always find a talent that would feel useful which I could spend my points on. I miss having those % chance for something to happen talents where I only put 1 point just to have the most minimal of chances of it ever proccing. For me 5% or 15% didn't make a difference and thus I always had extra talent points for even cooler effects. I miss that Frost Mage talent that would give 5% chance for Frostbolt to freeze the target. Tha's what made Frost Mage so fun.

The new talent grid offers no more choice than before. You have your optimal PvE talent and optimal PvP talent in each tier. And you usually have at least one talent per tier that nobody ever takes. Also, our talent grid is way too similar to our glyph system. The really bad part is the effect that it's had on leveling. We are now missing a big chunk of interaction with building our characters. People make many topics trying to explain whey the subs keep dropping. Well, I guarantee that a boring leveling experience doesn't help with keeping new players.

I personally enjoyed the WotLK talent trees. Yes, they were flawed. But, I think they could have been salvaged and better streamlined. I believe a combination or mesh of the WotLK trees and our current grid system would have been better. Oh and btw, I miss my 5 individual points of crit from the old talent trees.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the old talent trees, but I like the new ones as well. I wouldn't mind having both design aspects in-game.

No the new system is much better, especially for PvP. Some of them have the one talent that's clearly the best but overall it's allot less copy-paste the best build like the old system was.

Deleted
    Yes in the sense of leveling to max level...but the same goes for getting spells without going to the trainer. Catering to the supercasuals is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    Yeh, from a PvP perspective they were clearly trying to make it "tailor to your playstyle" but its really even less customizable than the old one.

Its much much much harder to balance with 3 ability changes per tier. They ran out of ideas for talents for a lot of classes, so they simply removed existing abilities from baseline to put them in.
    Indeed, warlocks and warriors notable examples. The new talent system is still better but we need more changes every level.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I do not. Looks are deceiving. At first glance, there seemed like there was a ton of choices, but the reality was many of the talents were either useless or would completely gimp you. And I believe that's why it was so cookie cutter. I prefer the current system much more. Less choices, but the choices are very wide open for many specs/fights/pvp. It's great. What I would like Blizzard to improve on though would be to add even more choices. Instead of 3 each level, have 4 or 5.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2013-07-27 at 09:16 AM.